When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Peppers stuffed with kale risotto
4:59pm Monday 23rd May 2011 in Taste Recipes
This is a modern twist on the old favourite of stuffed peppers, this time using a creamy kale risotto with an tangy olive tapenade.
Serves 4 Preparation time 10 minutes Cooking time 45 minutes Vegan Ingredients 2 vegetarian stock cubes dissolved in 1litre of water.
2 tbsp olive oil.
1 leek, finely chopped.
3 garlic cloves, crushed.
150g curly kale, chopped.
50ml vegetarian white wine.
1 lemon, zest only.
250g Arborio/risotto rice.
150g frozen peas.
Salt and black pepper.
8 straight, red Ramiro peppers.
6 tbsp olive tapenade (see below).
20 small cherry tomatoes on the vine (5 per person).
Method 1. Preheat oven to 220C. Put the vegetable stock into a saucepan and simmer.
2. In a large, wide frying pan fry the leek in a little oil for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
3. Steam the kale for 5 minutes, run under cold water, drain and set to one side.
4. Add the white wine, lemon zest and rice to the leeks and stir well making sure that the rice is well coated. Cook until the wine has been soaked up by the rice. Now ladle some of the stock over the rice and stir.
5. As the stock is absorbed by the rice keep topping up with more hot stock from the saucepan and keep stirring. You may not need all the stock depending on the size of pan used. It should take about 15-20 minutes until the risotto has a creamy consistency and the rice is cooked.
6. Add the peas and wilted kale to the risotto about 5 minutes before the end, season to taste.
7. Cut the tops off the Ramiro peppers and stuff with the risotto, followed by a teaspoon of the tapenade. Repeat this for all the peppers until they are filled. You will have risotto left for serving. Set the remaining risotto to one side, reheat just before serving.
7. Place the peppers and tomatoes onto a foil-lined baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and roast for 10-15 minutes.
8. To serve, place a large spoonful of the spare risotto onto a large plate and stack two peppers against it. Place a set of cherry tomatoes next to the risotto. Serve with a quick oriental salad.
Comments are closed on this article.