When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Christchurch (House of Commons)
Mr Christopher Chope OBE MP (Conservative)
Surgery: 18a Bargates
Surgery Tel: 01202 474949
MP Since - 1997 Majority - 15,410 Born - 19/05/1947, Married, 1 son, 1 daughter.
Education - St. Andrew's School, Eastbourne, Marlborough College, St. Andrew's University (LLB Hons).
Previous Occupation - Barrister, Inner Temple (1972), Consultant, Ernst & Young (1992-1998).
Personal Overview - Former minister in both Thatcher and Major Governments returning to the Commons following the loss of his Southampton Itchen seat in the 1992 election. Appears to be a respected MP who cut his political teeth whilst at Wandworth Borough Council in the 1970s and early 1980s. Had an early part in the Hague Shadow team, returning to the backbenches after two years. Was re-activated into the Opposition front bench by the IDS leadership, before returning to the Back Benches in 2005. An advocate of the 'right to buy' for council house sales, he was involved as Local Government Minister with the more controversial Community Charge, being responsible for its implementation in England. He has also been Chairman of the right wing Conservative '92 Group'.
Political History - Wandsworth Borough Councillor (1974-83), Leader, Wandsworth Borough Council (1979-83), Member for Southampton Itchen (1983-92), PPS to Peter Brooke (1986), Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of the Environment (1986-90), Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of Transport (1990-92), Shadow Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions Minister (1997-98), Opposition Spokesman for Trade & Industry (1998-99). Secretary of the 1922 Committee (2006-). Member of the Trade & Industry Select Committee (1999-2002). Opposition Frontbench Spokesman for Her Majesty's Treasury (2001-02), Shadow Minister of State for Transport (2002-03), for Environment & Transport (2003-05). Member of the Procedure Select Committee (2005-10). Member of the Chairmen's Panel (2005-). Member of the Administration Select Committee (2007-10). Member of the Political and Constitutional Reform Select Committee (2010-). Member of the Standards & Privileges Select Committee (2012-).
Characteristics - Effective, reliable Commons performer who backed Michael Howard for leader in 1997. Narrowly regained Christchurch for the Tories from Liberal Democrat by-election victor, Diana Maddock. Member, Health & Safety Commission (1992-97).
Business Tel: 020 7219 5808
Interests: Environment,Transport,Health,Local Government
- Political and Constitutional Reform Committee (Member)
- Standards & Privileges Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Building Societies and Financial Mutuals (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Cannabis and Children (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the British Constitution (Treasurer)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Economics, Money and Banking (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Highway Maintenance (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicles Group (Secretary)
- Parliamentary Internet and Communications Technology Forum Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Media Group (Member)
- Mobile Homes Group (Chairman)
- Parliament First Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Print Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Scotch Whisky and Spirits Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Scout Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Shooting and Conservation (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Steel and Metal Related Industry (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Thrombosis Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Albania (Member)
- British-American Parliamentary Group (Member)
- British-Mozambique Group (Member)
- British-Namibia Group (Member)
- Britain-Palestine Group (Member)
South West (European Parliament)
Earl William of Dartmouth MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 23/09/49. 10th Earl of Dartmouth.
Education - Eton. Christchurch College, Oxford. Harvard Business School.
Previous Occupation - Chartered Accountant, working in the United Arab Emirates (1975-77). Worked in the US for 6 years before returning to work in the UK in 1983 in finance, property and communications. Director, Hanson Transport. Chairman and Founder of Kirklees Cable.
Personal Overview - Former Conservative Peer who defected to the UK Independence party successfully gained election to the European Parliament at the 2009 elections. From a background in accountancy, he has worked in several countries, including the United Arab Emirates and US. A former Hereditary Peer, he lost his seat in the House of Lords in November 1999 in the Lords reforms of that year. Having reinvented himself as a UK Independence member he has the opportunity to use his accountancy skills to highlight any financial issues within the EU.
Political History - General Election candidate (Conservative) for Leigh (February 1974), Stockport South (October 1974). Succeeded his father to became a member of the House of Lords (1997-99). European Parliament candidate (1999). Joined the UK Independence Party (2007). Current prospective parliamentary candidate for Exeter. MEP South West Region (2009-). Member of the Committee on International Trade (2009-). Substitute member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
Other Information - At Oxford he was elected Secretary of the Oxford Union.
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: 32(0)2 28 49735
Interests: Business & Finance
- Foreign Affairs (Substitute)
- International Trade (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org