When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Mid Dorset and North Poole (House of Commons)
Ms Annette Brooke OBE MP (Liberal Democrat)
Surgery Tel: 01202 693555
MP Since - 2001 Majority - 269 Born - 07/06/1947, Married, 2 daughters.
Education - Romford Technical School, London School of Economics (BSc Econ), Hughes Hall Cambridge (Certificate in Education).
Previous Occupation - Teacher - Economics and Social Sciences. Open University, and more recently Economics Teacher, Talbot Heath School, Bournemouth. Business Partner - family business - specialist geological consultancy trading in rocks and minerals.
Personal Overview - Moved out of her former teaching career in the mid-nineties to concentrate on her political and business interests. Strong local links helped her successful campaign, and stem in large part from her active and senior membership of the local council. Given her triumph over one-term Conservative Christopher Fraser she will be welcomed warmly by her Lib Dem colleagues in the House, and with her experience in Education, and to a lesser extent Planning, she was found a spokesman's role in short order. Politically she has been motivated by a desire to improve equality of opportunity, whether on gender, race, disability or age grounds. On the last area of age she was strangely rather unforthcoming in revealing her own date of birth, so whether the activity is in anyway self-interested is a matter of speculation. Initially decided to continue her local government activity on Poole BC following her Westminster election, currently her husband remains a member of the Council.
Political History - Councillor, Poole BC (1986-2003), Chair, Planning Committee (1991-96), Education Committee (1996-2000), Environmental Strategy Working Party (1995-97), Executive Member for Education (2000-01), Deputy Group Leader (1995-97, 1998-2000), Group Leader (2000-01), Member for Mid Dorset & North Poole (2001-). Member of the Public Administration Select Committee (2001-05). Home Affairs Spokesman (2001-04). Shadow Minister for Education (2005-06) (Children & The Family). Shadow Minister for Children, Young People and Families (2007), Shadow Minister for Children, Schools and Familes (2007-10). Member of the Procedure Select Committee (2005-06), member of the Public Accounts Committee (2006-08). Member of the Children, Schools and Families Select Committee (2007-10). Member of the Standards & Privileges Select Committee (2010-13).
Characteristics - School Governor, and a Board Member of Dorset Careers Service. RSPB Member.
Business Tel: 020 7219 8193
Interests: Constitutional,Education & Training,Discrimination,Disability,Charities,Local Government
- Adoption and Fostering Group (Member)
- Replacement of Animals in Medical Experimentation Group (Vice Chairman)
- Arms Length Management Organisations (ALMOs) Group (Member)
- Autism Group (Vice Chairman)
- Friends of the Baha'is Group (Member)
- Brain Tumours Group (Member)
- Breast Cancer Group (Chairman)
- Cheese Group (Member)
- Child Protection Group (Member)
- Children Group (Member)
- Credit Unions Group (Member)
- Dementia Group (Member)
- Domestic and Sexual Violence Group (Member)
- Eye Health and Visual Impairment Group (Vice Chairman)
- Fatherhood Group (Secretary)
- Funerals and Bereavement Group (Member)
- Global Education for All Group (Vice Chairman)
- Home Safety Group (Member)
- Housing Group (Chairman)
- Huntington's Disease Group (Member)
- Libraries Group (Member)
- Looked after Children and Care Leavers Group (Member)
- Maternity Group (Treasurer)
- Methodist Group (Secretary)
- Microfinance Group (Vice Chairman)
- Mobile Homes Group (Vice Chairman)
- Motor Neurone Disease Group (Member)
- Multiple Sclerosis Group (Member)
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) Group (Chairman)
- Occupational Safety and Health Group (Member)
- Pharmacy Group (Member)
- Private Rented Sector Group (Member)
- Religious Education Group (Member)
- Respiratory Health Group (Member)
- Runaway and Missing Children and Adults Group (Secretary)
- School Food Group (Member)
- Sex Equality Group (Member)
- Sexual and Reproductive Health in the UK Group (Member)
- Skin Group (Member)
- Smoking and Health Group (Member)
- Social Work Group (Member)
- Speech and Language Difficulties Group (Member)
- Spinal Cord Injury Group (Member)
- Stroke Group (Member)
- Global Tuberculosis Group (Vice Chairman)
- Vaccine Damaged People Group (Member)
- Vascular Disease Group (Member)
- Wellbeing Economics Group (Member)
- Youth Affairs Group (Member)
- Guinea-Bissau Group (Member)
- Peru Group (Member)
- Poland Group (Member)
- Republic of Sudan and South Sudan (Associate Group) (Member)
South West (European Parliament)
Earl William of Dartmouth MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 23/09/49. 10th Earl of Dartmouth.
Education - Eton. Christchurch College, Oxford. Harvard Business School.
Previous Occupation - Chartered Accountant, working in the United Arab Emirates (1975-77). Worked in the US for 6 years before returning to work in the UK in 1983 in finance, property and communications. Director, Hanson Transport. Chairman and Founder of Kirklees Cable.
Personal Overview - Former Conservative Peer who defected to the UK Independence party successfully gained election to the European Parliament at the 2009 elections. From a background in accountancy, he has worked in several countries, including the United Arab Emirates and US. A former Hereditary Peer, he lost his seat in the House of Lords in November 1999 in the Lords reforms of that year. Having reinvented himself as a UK Independence member he has the opportunity to use his accountancy skills to highlight any financial issues within the EU.
Political History - General Election candidate (Conservative) for Leigh (February 1974), Stockport South (October 1974). Succeeded his father to became a member of the House of Lords (1997-99). European Parliament candidate (1999). Joined the UK Independence Party (2007). Current prospective parliamentary candidate for Exeter. MEP South West Region (2009-). Member of the Committee on International Trade (2009-). Substitute member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
Other Information - At Oxford he was elected Secretary of the Oxford Union.
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: 32(0)2 28 49735
Interests: Business & Finance
- Foreign Affairs (Substitute)
- International Trade (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org