Mid Dorset and North Poole (House of Commons)
Ms Annette Brooke OBE MP (Liberal Democrat)
Surgery Tel: 01202 693555
MP Since - 2001 Majority - 269 Born - 07/06/1947. Married, 2 daughters.
Education - Romford Technical School, London School of Economics (BSc Econ), Hughes Hall Cambridge (Certificate in Education).
Previous Occupation - Teacher - Economics and Social Sciences. Open University, and more recently Economics Teacher, Talbot Heath School, Bournemouth. Business Partner - family business - specialist geological consultancy trading in rocks and minerals.
Personal Overview - Moved out of her former teaching career in the mid-nineties to concentrate on her political and business interests. Strong local links helped her successful campaign, and stem in large part from her active and senior membership of the local council. Given her triumph over one-term Conservative Christopher Fraser she will be welcomed warmly by her Lib Dem colleagues in the House, and with her experience in Education, and to a lesser extent Planning, she was found a spokesman's role in short order. Politically she has been motivated by a desire to improve equality of opportunity, whether on gender, race, disability or age grounds. On the last area of age she was strangely rather unforthcoming in revealing her own date of birth, so whether the activity is in anyway self-interested is a matter of speculation. Initially decided to continue her local government activity on Poole BC following her Westminster election, currently her husband remains a member of the Council.
Political History - Councillor, Poole BC (1986-2003), Chair, Planning Committee (1991-96), Education Committee (1996-2000), Environmental Strategy Working Party (1995-97), Executive Member for Education (2000-01), Deputy Group Leader (1995-97, 1998-2000), Group Leader (2000-01), Member for Mid Dorset & North Poole (2001-). Member of the Public Administration Select Committee (2001-05). Home Affairs Spokesman (2001-04). Shadow Minister for Education (2005-06) (Children & The Family). Shadow Minister for Children, Young People and Families (2007), Shadow Minister for Children, Schools and Familes (2007-10). Member of the Procedure Select Committee (2005-06), member of the Public Accounts Committee (2006-08). Member of the Children, Schools and Families Select Committee (2007-10). Member of the Standards & Privileges Select Committee (2010-13).
Characteristics - School Governor, and a Board Member of Dorset Careers Service. RSPB Member.
Business Tel: 020 7219 8193
Interests: Constitutional,Education & Training,Discrimination,Charities,Disability,Local Government
- Adoption and Fostering Group (Member)
- Replacement of Animals in Medical Experimentation Group (Vice Chairman)
- Arms Length Management Organisations (ALMOs) Group (Member)
- Autism Group (Vice Chairman)
- Friends of the Baha'is Group (Member)
- Brain Tumours Group (Member)
- Breast Cancer Group (Chairman)
- Cheese Group (Member)
- Child Protection Group (Member)
- Children Group (Member)
- Credit Unions Group (Member)
- Dementia Group (Member)
- Domestic and Sexual Violence Group (Member)
- Eye Health and Visual Impairment Group (Vice Chairman)
- Fatherhood Group (Secretary)
- Funerals and Bereavement Group (Member)
- Global Education for All Group (Vice Chairman)
- Home Safety Group (Member)
- Housing Group (Chairman)
- Huntington's Disease Group (Member)
- Libraries Group (Member)
- Looked after Children and Care Leavers Group (Member)
- Maternity Group (Treasurer)
- Methodist Group (Secretary)
- Microfinance Group (Vice Chairman)
- Mobile Homes Group (Vice Chairman)
- Motor Neurone Disease Group (Member)
- Multiple Sclerosis Group (Member)
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) Group (Chairman)
- Occupational Safety and Health Group (Member)
- Pharmacy Group (Member)
- Private Rented Sector Group (Member)
- Religious Education Group (Member)
- Respiratory Health Group (Member)
- Runaway and Missing Children and Adults Group (Secretary)
- School Food Group (Member)
- Sex Equality Group (Member)
- Sexual and Reproductive Health in the UK Group (Member)
- Skin Group (Member)
- Smoking and Health Group (Member)
- Social Work Group (Member)
- Speech and Language Difficulties Group (Member)
- Spinal Cord Injury Group (Member)
- Stroke Group (Member)
- Global Tuberculosis Group (Vice Chairman)
- Vaccine Damaged People Group (Member)
- Vascular Disease Group (Member)
- Wellbeing Economics Group (Member)
- Youth Affairs Group (Member)
- Guinea-Bissau Group (Member)
- Peru Group (Member)
- Poland Group (Member)
- Republic of Sudan and South Sudan (Associate Group) (Member)
South West (European Parliament)
Dr Molly Scott Cato MEP (Green)
MEP Since - 2014. Born - 1963. 3 Children.
Education - Bath High School. Oxford University, MA Politics, Philosophy and Economics. University of Wales, Aberystwyth, PhD in Economics. The Open University, MSc in Advanced Social Research Methods.
Previous Occupation - Director of Wales Institute for Research into Co-operatives. Reader in Green Economics at the Cardiff School of Management (2008-12). Professor of Strategy and Sustainability in the Business School, University of Roehampton (2012-14).
Personal Overview - From an academic background, her main focus has been on the 'Green Economy' and associated issues of trade, work, money and cooperatives with an objective of replacing capitalism with an economic system which is benign for people and the planet. Although working in London at the University of Roehampton prior to her election, she is originally from Bath and has lived in Stroud where she has been a District Councillor and active in the Green Party for over 20 years. In the local area she has also been active as a member of the core group of 'Transition Stroud', a group working on the transition to a locally based low carbon lifestyle, where she has co-ordinated its Lifestyles and Livelihoods working group. She is likely to favour a more locally orientated economy, where CO2 emissions are reduced with less goods being transported long distances, promoting local employment and supporting activities such as Farmers' markets. She has also been commissioned to produce research which has included a report for the Association of Green Councillors on the subject of Using Best Value to Encourage Green Procurement in Local Authorities.
Political History - Joined the Green Party (1988). She has been Co-Chair of the Green Party Regional Council and served on the Green Party Executive as Campaigns Co-ordinator. Green Party General Election candidate for Preseli Pembrokeshire constituency (1997 and 2005). European Election candidate, twice in Wales, South West Region (2009). Councillor, Stroud District Council (2011-). Green Group Leader (2012-14). Has been a Spokesperson for the Green Party on Economics. MEP South West Region (2014-). Member of the Delegation for relations with Mercosur (2014-). Member of the Delegation to the Euro-Latin American Parliamentary Assembly (2014-). Substitute member of the Delegation for relations with the Federative Republic of Brazil (2014-). Member of the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs (2014-). Substitute member of the Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development (2014-).
Other Information - Has been a member of the core group of Stroud Community Agriculture and a Director of Stroud Common Wealth. Author of a book, Market, Schmarket.
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: +32(0)2 28 45737
Interests: Environment,Agriculture,General Trade & Industry,Climate Change,Education & Training,Uk Economy,Employment
- Agriculture & Rural Development (Substitute)
- Economic & Monetary Affairs (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org