When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Bridgwater and West Somerset (House of Commons)
Mr Ian Liddell-Grainger MP (Conservative)
Surgery: 16 Northgate
Surgery Tel: 01278 458383
MP Since - 2001 Majority - 9,249 Born - 23/02/59, Married, 1 son, 2 daughters.
Education - Wellesley House, Kent, Millfield, Somerset, South of Scotland Agricultural College.
Previous Occupation - Farmer (Family farm in Berwickshire, 1980-85). Company Director, Property Management/Development (North East of England, 1985-). Also qualified accountant, and former Major in the Fusiliers (Territorial Army).
Personal Overview - Experienced politician with prior knowledge of Parliamentary workings owing to membership of a House of Lords working group, and advisory roles to the Defence and Foreign Affairs Select Committees. A case of third time lucky in terms of gaining Commons membership, he failed at the 1997 Election by less than two-thousand votes in Devon West & Torridge, the seat which initially gained Liberal Democrat affiliation with the defection of (now Baroness and MEP) Emma Nicholson. Despite being still of an age to be suitable for advancement, a ministerial career has not been forthcoming following the formation of the Conservative/Liberal Democrat Coalition administration.
Political History - Chairman, Corbridge Branch Conservative Association, Member, Hexham Conservative Association Executive, Councillor, Tynedale DC (1989-95), Northern Area Council (1992-95). Parliamentary Candidate, Devon West & Torridge (1997), European Candidate, Tyne & Wear (1994), Member for Bridgwater (2001-2010), Member for Bridgwater and West Somerset (2010-). Member of the Public Administration Select Committee (2001-10), Scottish Affairs Select Committee (2002-05), Environment, Food & Rural Affairs Select Committee (2003-05). Member of the Environmental Audit Select Committee (2008-10). Member of the Statutory Instruments Select Committee (2010-). Member of the Joint Committee on Statutory Instruments (2010-).
Characteristics - Has the distinguished antecedence of a royal connection - he is around 250th in line to the throne, being a descendant of Queen Victoria through her youngest son Prince Leopold. Member of the NFU, and the Institute of Directors (IoD). Member, House of Lords Rural Economy Group. Former Advisor to the Chairmen of the Defence, and Foreign Affairs Select Committees during the 1992-97 Parliament. Northern Industrial Representative to the European Parliament.
Other Information - Alternative email address is email@example.com.
Business Tel: 020 7219 8149
Interests: Business & Finance,Agriculture,European Issues,Defence,General Trade & Industry,Foreign Affairs,Property Development,Rural,Chemical Industry,Local Government
- Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (Member)
- Statutory Instruments Committee (Member)
- Angling Group (Member)
- Arms Length Management Organisations (ALMOs) Group (Member)
- Autism Group (Member)
- State Boarding Schools Group (Member)
- Body Image Group (Member)
- Brain Tumours Group (Member)
- Cannabis and Children Group (Member)
- Cheese Group (Member)
- Child Health and Vaccine Preventable Diseases Group (Secretary)
- Cider Group (Chairman)
- Parliamentary Group for Energy Studies (Chairman)
- on Folk Arts Group (Member)
- Horse Group (Vice Chairman)
- Methodist Group (Member)
- Micro Businesses Group (Member)
- Recognition of Munitions Workers Group (Member)
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) Group (Member)
- Nuclear Energy Group (Vice Chairman)
- Pharmaceutical Industry Group (Chairman)
- Reserve Forces and Cadets Group (Member)
- Rugby League Group (Member)
- Severn Barage and Tidal Energy Group (Vice Chairman)
- Shooting and Conservation Group (Treasurer)
- Commemorating Srebrenica Group (Member)
- Veterans Group (Member)
- Weight Watchers Group (Member)
- World Governance Group (Member)
- Zoos and Aquariums Group (Member)
- UK-Bahrain Group (Vice Chairman)
- Cambodia Group (Member)
- China Group (Member)
- Ethiopia and Djibouti Group (Member)
- United Kingdom Falkland Islands Group (Member)
- British-Iraq Group (Member)
- Britain-Republic of Korea Group (Member)
- Malaysia Group (Secretary)
- Morocco Group (Chairman)
- Britain-Nepal Group (Member)
- Pitcairn Islands Group (Member)
- Romania Group (Member)
- UK-Singapore Group (Member)
- British-Swiss Group (Member)
- Vietnam Group (Secretary)
South West (European Parliament)
Earl William of Dartmouth MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 23/09/49. 10th Earl of Dartmouth.
Education - Eton. Christchurch College, Oxford. Harvard Business School.
Previous Occupation - Chartered Accountant, working in the United Arab Emirates (1975-77). Worked in the US for 6 years before returning to work in the UK in 1983 in finance, property and communications. Director, Hanson Transport. Chairman and Founder of Kirklees Cable.
Personal Overview - Former Conservative Peer who defected to the UK Independence party successfully gained election to the European Parliament at the 2009 elections. From a background in accountancy, he has worked in several countries, including the United Arab Emirates and US. A former Hereditary Peer, he lost his seat in the House of Lords in November 1999 in the Lords reforms of that year. Having reinvented himself as a UK Independence member he has the opportunity to use his accountancy skills to highlight any financial issues within the EU.
Political History - General Election candidate (Conservative) for Leigh (February 1974), Stockport South (October 1974). Succeeded his father to became a member of the House of Lords (1997-99). European Parliament candidate (1999). Joined the UK Independence Party (2007). Current prospective parliamentary candidate for Exeter. MEP South West Region (2009-). Member of the Committee on International Trade (2009-). Substitute member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
Other Information - At Oxford he was elected Secretary of the Oxford Union.
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: 32(0)2 28 49735
Interests: Business & Finance
- Foreign Affairs (Substitute)
- International Trade (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org