OLYMPIC LEGACY: The thousands who did not turn up in Weymouth and Portland

OLYMPIC LEGACY: The thousands who did not turn up in Weymouth and Portland

DESERTED: The park and ride at Kingston Maurward

SHORTFALL: Simon Williams

BENEFIT: Anna-Maria Geare

First published in News Dorset Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

THE Dorset Echo has completed a thorough investigation to find out what the Olympics did for Weymouth and Portland.

We’ve carried out comprehensive interviews with those who oversaw the Games in the borough and we’ve made some probing Freedom of Information requests.

In the aftermath of the world coming to Weymouth and Portland we have asked what kind of a legacy the Games has left for our locals.

Today, on Day Three of our series of Olympic features, Emma Walker takes a closer look at the impact on tourism and the local economy.

VISITOR numbers to the Olympic sailing events in Weymouth and Portland failed to meet expectations following years of building up to the 2012 Games, an Echo investigation has found.

Organisers predicted that 30,000 extra visitors a day would pour into the borough across the two weeks of the Games on top of the 30,000 normal daily summer visitors.

A total of 840,000 visitors were expected, but according to Weymouth and Portland Borough Council, which calculated crowd numbers using CCTV and other assessments, 500,000 people visited during the Games – a shortfall of 340,000.

Although 100,000 people flocked to the borough across ‘Ben Ainslie weekend’ on August 4 and 5, this figure still did not meet expectations.

Numbers fell short of those expected by hoteliers and traders who expected the Games to boost the local economy.

They said ‘negative advertising’ encouraged tourists to avoid the borough due to fears of travel congestion.

Traders voiced their concerns days into the Olympics and a campaign was launched to encourage tourism.

But despite this, just days into the Olympic sailing, daily visitor expectancy was halved to 30,000 as footfall failed to meet expectations.

Organisers claim the borough suffered from a national decline in visitor numbers.

Dorset County Council, which has responsibility for transport issues, said the advertising was based on predictions from outside experts for Locog about visitor numbers.

County council leader and transport spokesman Angus Campbell said: “If people had come to Weymouth and been miserable because of the traffic, what would that have said for the tourism industry?

“I think it was done exactly right really and in sequence and I think we reacted very quickly.”

Simon Williams, head of 2012 operations, admitted footfall had been ‘below expectations’ early on in the Games.

But he argued that the borough was not the only place to suffer.

He said: “During the first few days of the Games the number of total visitors was below expectations.

“This also occurred in London.

“Once the Games got under way, visitor numbers across all Olympic venues picked up.”

A Visit England survey revealed the Olympic summer followed an ongoing downward trend for visitor numbers across the UK.

Organisers blamed bad weather, continued recession and cheap holidays abroad.

Figures revealed by Weymouth Tourist Information Centre (TIC) show that the Games period attracted an extra 8,000 visitors to the complex compared to the same time the year before – rising from 16,641 to 23,320.

The council claims the area benefited from the Games.

An estimated 3,000 people watched the Olympic torch arrive on Weymouth beach.

Mr Williams said: “Had it not been for the arrival of the torch, the town would have been deserted that evening.”

He added: “From reports in the media, comments on social media websites and direct feedback, the vast majority of people who experienced the Games had an overwhelmingly fantastic experience.

“This is vital in helping to attract visitors to come back again.”

  • VISITORS put just £23.24 each into the borough’s economy during the Games, the Weymouth and Portland visitor survey revealed.

The entertainment sector suffered the biggest let-down, with the average visitor spending just £1.22 while only £1.58 was spent per person at visitor attractions.

According to the survey, most money was spent by visitors on food and petrol.

It also revealed that more than half of visitors were on a day trip.

Visitors who came to the borough for the Games spent 20 per cent less than other people.

Anna-Maria Geare, chairman of Weymouth and Portland Chamber of Commerce, pointed out that the visitor survey was mainly based on daytime economy.

She said: “We know that the night time and evening economy benefited greatly from the Olympics.”

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:35pm Wed 31 Oct 12

Evidently Chickentown says...

On a completely unrelated note, how are sales of the Dorset Echo's "When the world came to Weymouth" publication?
On a completely unrelated note, how are sales of the Dorset Echo's "When the world came to Weymouth" publication? Evidently Chickentown
  • Score: 0

1:00pm Wed 31 Oct 12

Trackerman says...

And the conclusion is ?????
And the conclusion is ????? Trackerman
  • Score: 0

1:00pm Wed 31 Oct 12

Trackerman says...

And the conclusion is ?????
And the conclusion is ????? Trackerman
  • Score: 0

2:36pm Wed 31 Oct 12

portland rebel says...

plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.
plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct. portland rebel
  • Score: 0

3:15pm Wed 31 Oct 12

MASK & SNORKEL says...

The 1st few days of this " once in a lifetime " event were poorly attended. People were warned of chaos getting to Weymouth where in fact there was none! The powers that be did turn the event round with positive results, but the damage was already done! Look on the bright side, they can't **** it up again for many years on a scale like this. I was rather embarressed that buses outnumbered people in the 1st few days!!
The 1st few days of this " once in a lifetime " event were poorly attended. People were warned of chaos getting to Weymouth where in fact there was none! The powers that be did turn the event round with positive results, but the damage was already done! Look on the bright side, they can't **** it up again for many years on a scale like this. I was rather embarressed that buses outnumbered people in the 1st few days!! MASK & SNORKEL
  • Score: 0

3:28pm Wed 31 Oct 12

niceonecyril says...

portland rebel wrote:
plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.
How wrong can you be, I know all you narrow minded stick in the muds were praying for the Olympics to fail, but the fact is, which is backed up by pictures in the national press, and live television, also the athletes who took part, the Sailing event in Weymouth was a huge success, the Nothe was packed, the beach was packed, you were 100% proved WRONG.
[quote][p][bold]portland rebel[/bold] wrote: plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.[/p][/quote]How wrong can you be, I know all you narrow minded stick in the muds were praying for the Olympics to fail, but the fact is, which is backed up by pictures in the national press, and live television, also the athletes who took part, the Sailing event in Weymouth was a huge success, the Nothe was packed, the beach was packed, you were 100% proved WRONG. niceonecyril
  • Score: 0

3:31pm Wed 31 Oct 12

MASK & SNORKEL says...

The **** in my last comment was a mild swear word, but was replaced by **** which makes it look worse. I think the word that fits should be " mess " :)
The **** in my last comment was a mild swear word, but was replaced by **** which makes it look worse. I think the word that fits should be " mess " :) MASK & SNORKEL
  • Score: 0

3:34pm Wed 31 Oct 12

MASK & SNORKEL says...

niceonecyril wrote:
portland rebel wrote:
plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.
How wrong can you be, I know all you narrow minded stick in the muds were praying for the Olympics to fail, but the fact is, which is backed up by pictures in the national press, and live television, also the athletes who took part, the Sailing event in Weymouth was a huge success, the Nothe was packed, the beach was packed, you were 100% proved WRONG.
The Nothe was busy, but to be fair i would say most on the beach were watching the sports that were a little more exciting :)
[quote][p][bold]niceonecyril[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]portland rebel[/bold] wrote: plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.[/p][/quote]How wrong can you be, I know all you narrow minded stick in the muds were praying for the Olympics to fail, but the fact is, which is backed up by pictures in the national press, and live television, also the athletes who took part, the Sailing event in Weymouth was a huge success, the Nothe was packed, the beach was packed, you were 100% proved WRONG.[/p][/quote]The Nothe was busy, but to be fair i would say most on the beach were watching the sports that were a little more exciting :) MASK & SNORKEL
  • Score: 0

3:41pm Wed 31 Oct 12

weymouthfox says...

County council leader and transport spokesman Angus Campbell said: “If people had come to Weymouth and been miserable because of the traffic, what would that have said for the tourism industry?
Sadly Weymouth suffered a whole series of unecessary roadworks, including all through last summer, that put off the usual tourists. Dorset County Council are to blame for all the transport failures, for having advertised widely that Weymouth was closed and for so many empty buses running round our streets.
Could the Echo investigate exactly how all these figures were estimated.
My judgement is that there were many fewer people here in Olympic weeks than on a normal August.
County council leader and transport spokesman Angus Campbell said: “If people had come to Weymouth and been miserable because of the traffic, what would that have said for the tourism industry? Sadly Weymouth suffered a whole series of unecessary roadworks, including all through last summer, that put off the usual tourists. Dorset County Council are to blame for all the transport failures, for having advertised widely that Weymouth was closed and for so many empty buses running round our streets. Could the Echo investigate exactly how all these figures were estimated. My judgement is that there were many fewer people here in Olympic weeks than on a normal August. weymouthfox
  • Score: 0

4:07pm Wed 31 Oct 12

banknote says...

The general preception was that there was transport chaos in Weymouth, due to the ill-conceived "Weymouth Transport Package" - incidently what happened to "Andy" Ackerman and Piles from DCC?? They should have been sacked for their dismal efforts - and would have been had they had worked for the private sector.

I suspect that our traditional holidaymakers stayed away because of negative publicity surrounding the roads and the expected Olympic crowds.

It would be interesting to compare this years visiting figures against a normal years numbers?
The general preception was that there was transport chaos in Weymouth, due to the ill-conceived "Weymouth Transport Package" - incidently what happened to "Andy" Ackerman and Piles from DCC?? They should have been sacked for their dismal efforts - and would have been had they had worked for the private sector. I suspect that our traditional holidaymakers stayed away because of negative publicity surrounding the roads and the expected Olympic crowds. It would be interesting to compare this years visiting figures against a normal years numbers? banknote
  • Score: 0

4:14pm Wed 31 Oct 12

goodoldecho says...

"I suspect that our traditional holidaymakers stayed away because of negative publicity surrounding the roads and the expected Olympic crowds"

.... in the media, which leads us to an article about why the games failed....self fullfilling prophecy?
"I suspect that our traditional holidaymakers stayed away because of negative publicity surrounding the roads and the expected Olympic crowds" .... in the media, which leads us to an article about why the games failed....self fullfilling prophecy? goodoldecho
  • Score: 0

4:41pm Wed 31 Oct 12

Crabber says...

niceonecyril wrote:
portland rebel wrote:
plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.
How wrong can you be, I know all you narrow minded stick in the muds were praying for the Olympics to fail, but the fact is, which is backed up by pictures in the national press, and live television, also the athletes who took part, the Sailing event in Weymouth was a huge success, the Nothe was packed, the beach was packed, you were 100% proved WRONG.
What a berk.! ! ! The area was NOT packed.It was not Busy. It was however Overpriced,with extortionate food prices,and many people forced to eat that Subway C**P and drink C**e as they werre sponsors. Hotels were empty, the Park n Ride was a Park only. As fore the pretentious jumped up little P***K Coemhe like cyril wants publically flogging at the very least or putting in the stocks and pelted with all sorts of MESS
[quote][p][bold]niceonecyril[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]portland rebel[/bold] wrote: plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.[/p][/quote]How wrong can you be, I know all you narrow minded stick in the muds were praying for the Olympics to fail, but the fact is, which is backed up by pictures in the national press, and live television, also the athletes who took part, the Sailing event in Weymouth was a huge success, the Nothe was packed, the beach was packed, you were 100% proved WRONG.[/p][/quote]What a berk.! ! ! The area was NOT packed.It was not Busy. It was however Overpriced,with extortionate food prices,and many people forced to eat that Subway C**P and drink C**e as they werre sponsors. Hotels were empty, the Park n Ride was a Park only. As fore the pretentious jumped up little P***K Coemhe like cyril wants publically flogging at the very least or putting in the stocks and pelted with all sorts of MESS Crabber
  • Score: 0

5:58pm Wed 31 Oct 12

rjimmer says...

banknote says...
4:07pm Wed 31 Oct 12 It would be interesting to compare this years visiting figures against a normal years numbers? @@@@@ I was told that one bus service to some local camp-sites would have normally taken £400 a day for that fortnight, whereas they only took £850 for the whole 2 weeks. I don't suppose Simon (Smug) Williams had any CCTV cameras on that area.
banknote says... 4:07pm Wed 31 Oct 12 It would be interesting to compare this years visiting figures against a normal years numbers? @@@@@ I was told that one bus service to some local camp-sites would have normally taken £400 a day for that fortnight, whereas they only took £850 for the whole 2 weeks. I don't suppose Simon (Smug) Williams had any CCTV cameras on that area. rjimmer
  • Score: 0

6:25pm Wed 31 Oct 12

marabout says...

I was in London this summer and the reports are correct that Oxford street and the Piccadilly area was fairly quiet in comparison to similar periods.

However - No one can say that the London 2012 Games were not a resounding success and despite the doom and gloom the OHEC portrays the Olympic and Paralymic games in W&P were superb for all of us.
I was in London this summer and the reports are correct that Oxford street and the Piccadilly area was fairly quiet in comparison to similar periods. However - No one can say that the London 2012 Games were not a resounding success and despite the doom and gloom the OHEC portrays the Olympic and Paralymic games in W&P were superb for all of us. marabout
  • Score: 0

6:28pm Wed 31 Oct 12

pigfarmer says...

And Lo it came to pass.

One day someone will listen to me.
And Lo it came to pass. One day someone will listen to me. pigfarmer
  • Score: 0

6:46pm Wed 31 Oct 12

JamesYoung says...

niceonecyril wrote:
portland rebel wrote: plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.
How wrong can you be, I know all you narrow minded stick in the muds were praying for the Olympics to fail, but the fact is, which is backed up by pictures in the national press, and live television, also the athletes who took part, the Sailing event in Weymouth was a huge success, the Nothe was packed, the beach was packed, you were 100% proved WRONG.
I think you are missing the point. The Borough traded all the money that would have normally been spent by tourists for a Nothe that was busy for a couple of days. Local businesses lost out. My prediction is numbers will be down next year too, because regulars went somewhere else this year and they probably liked it and will go back there again. Of course, like this year, this will be blamed on bad weather and the economy when the reality is that people stayed away for one reason only - the Olympics themselves.
[quote][p][bold]niceonecyril[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]portland rebel[/bold] wrote: plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.[/p][/quote]How wrong can you be, I know all you narrow minded stick in the muds were praying for the Olympics to fail, but the fact is, which is backed up by pictures in the national press, and live television, also the athletes who took part, the Sailing event in Weymouth was a huge success, the Nothe was packed, the beach was packed, you were 100% proved WRONG.[/p][/quote]I think you are missing the point. The Borough traded all the money that would have normally been spent by tourists for a Nothe that was busy for a couple of days. Local businesses lost out. My prediction is numbers will be down next year too, because regulars went somewhere else this year and they probably liked it and will go back there again. Of course, like this year, this will be blamed on bad weather and the economy when the reality is that people stayed away for one reason only - the Olympics themselves. JamesYoung
  • Score: 0

6:48pm Wed 31 Oct 12

JamesYoung says...

banknote wrote:
The general preception was that there was transport chaos in Weymouth, due to the ill-conceived "Weymouth Transport Package" - incidently what happened to "Andy" Ackerman and Piles from DCC?? They should have been sacked for their dismal efforts - and would have been had they had worked for the private sector. I suspect that our traditional holidaymakers stayed away because of negative publicity surrounding the roads and the expected Olympic crowds. It would be interesting to compare this years visiting figures against a normal years numbers?
We went to Scotland's West Coast to get away from all the hype. Most campsites were fully booked and we had to look hard for a place to stay. I wonder what the other south coast resorts experienced?
[quote][p][bold]banknote[/bold] wrote: The general preception was that there was transport chaos in Weymouth, due to the ill-conceived "Weymouth Transport Package" - incidently what happened to "Andy" Ackerman and Piles from DCC?? They should have been sacked for their dismal efforts - and would have been had they had worked for the private sector. I suspect that our traditional holidaymakers stayed away because of negative publicity surrounding the roads and the expected Olympic crowds. It would be interesting to compare this years visiting figures against a normal years numbers?[/p][/quote]We went to Scotland's West Coast to get away from all the hype. Most campsites were fully booked and we had to look hard for a place to stay. I wonder what the other south coast resorts experienced? JamesYoung
  • Score: 0

7:41pm Wed 31 Oct 12

portland rebel says...

niceonecyril wrote:
portland rebel wrote:
plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.
How wrong can you be, I know all you narrow minded stick in the muds were praying for the Olympics to fail, but the fact is, which is backed up by pictures in the national press, and live television, also the athletes who took part, the Sailing event in Weymouth was a huge success, the Nothe was packed, the beach was packed, you were 100% proved WRONG.
you are obviously still wearing your rose tinted glasses because you are obviously unable to read and understand the story.
[quote][p][bold]niceonecyril[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]portland rebel[/bold] wrote: plenty of local people said "sailing is a minority sport and the thousands predicted would not be coming, the council and locog knew better than the plebs and guess what as usual the plebs where correct.[/p][/quote]How wrong can you be, I know all you narrow minded stick in the muds were praying for the Olympics to fail, but the fact is, which is backed up by pictures in the national press, and live television, also the athletes who took part, the Sailing event in Weymouth was a huge success, the Nothe was packed, the beach was packed, you were 100% proved WRONG.[/p][/quote]you are obviously still wearing your rose tinted glasses because you are obviously unable to read and understand the story. portland rebel
  • Score: 0

9:02pm Wed 31 Oct 12

Dude£74 says...

For years tourists have come to Weymouth and suffered its traffic problems. During this time locals asked for a bypass and a solution to the traffic issues around the town. It wasn't till the Olympics were awarded was something actually done. The tourists who experienced and endured previous visits never saw the improvements and (who can blame them) were not prepared to suffer it during an event like this. To much to late is my conclusion. On the plus side thanks for a new road to Dorchester at last.
For years tourists have come to Weymouth and suffered its traffic problems. During this time locals asked for a bypass and a solution to the traffic issues around the town. It wasn't till the Olympics were awarded was something actually done. The tourists who experienced and endured previous visits never saw the improvements and (who can blame them) were not prepared to suffer it during an event like this. To much to late is my conclusion. On the plus side thanks for a new road to Dorchester at last. Dude£74
  • Score: 0

9:22pm Wed 31 Oct 12

Grockle13 says...

My family and I specifically chose to visit Weymouth during the Olympics. We had a wonderful time and immensely enjoyed the olympic atmosphere and the friendliness of the ambassadors. Returning home loads of people were envious of the olympic experience and consider experiencing Weymouth in the coming years on our recommendation. A legacy cannot be evaluated two months on - the whole point of a legacy is the lasting impact. Quit moaning and be proud of how wonderful hosts you were in the summer.
My family and I specifically chose to visit Weymouth during the Olympics. We had a wonderful time and immensely enjoyed the olympic atmosphere and the friendliness of the ambassadors. Returning home loads of people were envious of the olympic experience and consider experiencing Weymouth in the coming years on our recommendation. A legacy cannot be evaluated two months on - the whole point of a legacy is the lasting impact. Quit moaning and be proud of how wonderful hosts you were in the summer. Grockle13
  • Score: 0

12:41am Thu 1 Nov 12

cordless says...

Could we find out through the freedom of information act, all the names of the people answering and commenting on any of the questions in these Echo Blogs who are employed by DCC,WDDC,W&P, or any Government Departments and/or are paid to do so.
Lets go back to names with addresses.
Could we find out through the freedom of information act, all the names of the people answering and commenting on any of the questions in these Echo Blogs who are employed by DCC,WDDC,W&P, or any Government Departments and/or are paid to do so. Lets go back to names with addresses. cordless
  • Score: 0

9:18am Thu 1 Nov 12

martinstarr3 says...

We lost £2,000 on our Caravan bookings through the Olympics also I now of one Camp site lost £90,000 and Hotel and B&B lost money the one thing I was glad about it was the Park and Ride failed at £12.00 what a rip off.
Also signs were put around the country telling people to stop away from Weymouth and also the Press did not help matters.It was a bad thing for Weymouth having the Olympics, I hope they never come back.
We lost £2,000 on our Caravan bookings through the Olympics also I now of one Camp site lost £90,000 and Hotel and B&B lost money the one thing I was glad about it was the Park and Ride failed at £12.00 what a rip off. Also signs were put around the country telling people to stop away from Weymouth and also the Press did not help matters.It was a bad thing for Weymouth having the Olympics, I hope they never come back. martinstarr3
  • Score: 0

9:26am Thu 1 Nov 12

Chris S B says...

The Echo did a great job of keeping visitors away (eg. publishing photos of Olympic sites in the evening when they were closed but citing them as evidence of Olympic failure). The Echo is a parasite living off negativity and front page stories of its own creation. It is self-serving and makes no contribution to the local culture and well-being.
The Echo did a great job of keeping visitors away (eg. publishing photos of Olympic sites in the evening when they were closed but citing them as evidence of Olympic failure). The Echo is a parasite living off negativity and front page stories of its own creation. It is self-serving and makes no contribution to the local culture and well-being. Chris S B
  • Score: 0

10:50am Thu 1 Nov 12

maximan says...

Chris S B wrote:
The Echo did a great job of keeping visitors away (eg. publishing photos of Olympic sites in the evening when they were closed but citing them as evidence of Olympic failure). The Echo is a parasite living off negativity and front page stories of its own creation. It is self-serving and makes no contribution to the local culture and well-being.
No. the Echo only reported the facts. Just the same as it is here. It does not have a responsibility to put spin on any scenario as an advertisement for the local tourist trade. The local bigwigs need to start making the correct decisions in the first place. Only problem being that I have never come across an area where so many people in positions of power are actually in it for themselves. "I'm alright Jack...I had bubbly with Seb"
[quote][p][bold]Chris S B[/bold] wrote: The Echo did a great job of keeping visitors away (eg. publishing photos of Olympic sites in the evening when they were closed but citing them as evidence of Olympic failure). The Echo is a parasite living off negativity and front page stories of its own creation. It is self-serving and makes no contribution to the local culture and well-being.[/p][/quote]No. the Echo only reported the facts. Just the same as it is here. It does not have a responsibility to put spin on any scenario as an advertisement for the local tourist trade. The local bigwigs need to start making the correct decisions in the first place. Only problem being that I have never come across an area where so many people in positions of power are actually in it for themselves. "I'm alright Jack...I had bubbly with Seb" maximan
  • Score: 0

12:16pm Thu 1 Nov 12

mino4994 says...

Well what a surprise, I noticed before the Olympics how negative people were on this site, then during the Olympics there was a change of atitude, now back to the same old moans and groans. I am not local but am an annual visitor to Weymouth and Portland. I didn't come during the Olympics though, not because of traffic problems, nor because of the crowds but simply because of the way many of the hotels etc hyped up their prices during that period and I didn't see why I should pay extra for the usual services. By the way I have been since and despite the awful weather whic might have put a lot of people off I enjoyed myself and shall return next year. before you say people won't come back wait to see what happens as I'm sure you will find many will. The Echo needs to learn what legacy means as well. It doesn't mean what happened during the Olympics it means what will happen in the future so attendance and spending figures from the games shouldn't really be in this article. Looking forward to next years holiday I rest my case.
Well what a surprise, I noticed before the Olympics how negative people were on this site, then during the Olympics there was a change of atitude, now back to the same old moans and groans. I am not local but am an annual visitor to Weymouth and Portland. I didn't come during the Olympics though, not because of traffic problems, nor because of the crowds but simply because of the way many of the hotels etc hyped up their prices during that period and I didn't see why I should pay extra for the usual services. By the way I have been since and despite the awful weather whic might have put a lot of people off I enjoyed myself and shall return next year. before you say people won't come back wait to see what happens as I'm sure you will find many will. The Echo needs to learn what legacy means as well. It doesn't mean what happened during the Olympics it means what will happen in the future so attendance and spending figures from the games shouldn't really be in this article. Looking forward to next years holiday I rest my case. mino4994
  • Score: 0

12:18pm Thu 1 Nov 12

mino4994 says...

Well what a surprise, I noticed before the Olympics how negative people were on this site, then during the Olympics there was a change of atitude, now back to the same old moans and groans. I am not local but am an annual visitor to Weymouth and Portland. I didn't come during the Olympics though, not because of traffic problems, nor because of the crowds but simply because of the way many of the hotels etc hyped up their prices during that period and I didn't see why I should pay extra for the usual services. By the way I have been since and despite the awful weather whic might have put a lot of people off I enjoyed myself and shall return next year. before you say people won't come back wait to see what happens as I'm sure you will find many will. The Echo needs to learn what legacy means as well. It doesn't mean what happened during the Olympics it means what will happen in the future so attendance and spending figures from the games shouldn't really be in this article. Looking forward to next years holiday I rest my case.
Well what a surprise, I noticed before the Olympics how negative people were on this site, then during the Olympics there was a change of atitude, now back to the same old moans and groans. I am not local but am an annual visitor to Weymouth and Portland. I didn't come during the Olympics though, not because of traffic problems, nor because of the crowds but simply because of the way many of the hotels etc hyped up their prices during that period and I didn't see why I should pay extra for the usual services. By the way I have been since and despite the awful weather whic might have put a lot of people off I enjoyed myself and shall return next year. before you say people won't come back wait to see what happens as I'm sure you will find many will. The Echo needs to learn what legacy means as well. It doesn't mean what happened during the Olympics it means what will happen in the future so attendance and spending figures from the games shouldn't really be in this article. Looking forward to next years holiday I rest my case. mino4994
  • Score: 0

12:18pm Thu 1 Nov 12

mino4994 says...

Well what a surprise, I noticed before the Olympics how negative people were on this site, then during the Olympics there was a change of atitude, now back to the same old moans and groans. I am not local but am an annual visitor to Weymouth and Portland. I didn't come during the Olympics though, not because of traffic problems, nor because of the crowds but simply because of the way many of the hotels etc hyped up their prices during that period and I didn't see why I should pay extra for the usual services. By the way I have been since and despite the awful weather whic might have put a lot of people off I enjoyed myself and shall return next year. before you say people won't come back wait to see what happens as I'm sure you will find many will. The Echo needs to learn what legacy means as well. It doesn't mean what happened during the Olympics it means what will happen in the future so attendance and spending figures from the games shouldn't really be in this article. Looking forward to next years holiday I rest my case.
Well what a surprise, I noticed before the Olympics how negative people were on this site, then during the Olympics there was a change of atitude, now back to the same old moans and groans. I am not local but am an annual visitor to Weymouth and Portland. I didn't come during the Olympics though, not because of traffic problems, nor because of the crowds but simply because of the way many of the hotels etc hyped up their prices during that period and I didn't see why I should pay extra for the usual services. By the way I have been since and despite the awful weather whic might have put a lot of people off I enjoyed myself and shall return next year. before you say people won't come back wait to see what happens as I'm sure you will find many will. The Echo needs to learn what legacy means as well. It doesn't mean what happened during the Olympics it means what will happen in the future so attendance and spending figures from the games shouldn't really be in this article. Looking forward to next years holiday I rest my case. mino4994
  • Score: 0

12:58pm Thu 1 Nov 12

Chris S B says...

maximan wrote:
Chris S B wrote:
The Echo did a great job of keeping visitors away (eg. publishing photos of Olympic sites in the evening when they were closed but citing them as evidence of Olympic failure). The Echo is a parasite living off negativity and front page stories of its own creation. It is self-serving and makes no contribution to the local culture and well-being.
No. the Echo only reported the facts. Just the same as it is here. It does not have a responsibility to put spin on any scenario as an advertisement for the local tourist trade. The local bigwigs need to start making the correct decisions in the first place. Only problem being that I have never come across an area where so many people in positions of power are actually in it for themselves. "I'm alright Jack...I had bubbly with Seb"
The Echo only reported the facts?? Did you even bother to read my post? They published photos of sites which weren't even open and used them as 'evidence' of how the Olympics was a flop. They decided long before that their angle was going to be based on its failure, regardless of whether it was. It put its own spin on the whole occasion and made a lot out of it through the resulting sales. They're in business to sell papers and nobody buys papers if the front page isn't in some way dramatic.
[quote][p][bold]maximan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chris S B[/bold] wrote: The Echo did a great job of keeping visitors away (eg. publishing photos of Olympic sites in the evening when they were closed but citing them as evidence of Olympic failure). The Echo is a parasite living off negativity and front page stories of its own creation. It is self-serving and makes no contribution to the local culture and well-being.[/p][/quote]No. the Echo only reported the facts. Just the same as it is here. It does not have a responsibility to put spin on any scenario as an advertisement for the local tourist trade. The local bigwigs need to start making the correct decisions in the first place. Only problem being that I have never come across an area where so many people in positions of power are actually in it for themselves. "I'm alright Jack...I had bubbly with Seb"[/p][/quote]The Echo only reported the facts?? Did you even bother to read my post? They published photos of sites which weren't even open and used them as 'evidence' of how the Olympics was a flop. They decided long before that their angle was going to be based on its failure, regardless of whether it was. It put its own spin on the whole occasion and made a lot out of it through the resulting sales. They're in business to sell papers and nobody buys papers if the front page isn't in some way dramatic. Chris S B
  • Score: 0

1:38pm Thu 1 Nov 12

boobooweymouth says...

The Echo mostly only report the partial 'facts' that support its negative stance. Hence the headline about thousands not visiting.

What about the many thousands who did visit during the Olympics (the first few days were quiet, thereafter it was packed), the vast majority of whom had an amazing time.

Can we have the free sports arena back next summer please??
The Echo mostly only report the partial 'facts' that support its negative stance. Hence the headline about thousands not visiting. What about the many thousands who did visit during the Olympics (the first few days were quiet, thereafter it was packed), the vast majority of whom had an amazing time. Can we have the free sports arena back next summer please?? boobooweymouth
  • Score: 0

3:30pm Thu 1 Nov 12

maximan says...

boobooweymouth wrote:
The Echo mostly only report the partial 'facts' that support its negative stance. Hence the headline about thousands not visiting.

What about the many thousands who did visit during the Olympics (the first few days were quiet, thereafter it was packed), the vast majority of whom had an amazing time.

Can we have the free sports arena back next summer please??
Obviously the title is - those who came against projected figures...that's hardly a partial fact. We were sold 3 weeks of "Ainsley Sunday" that did not happen. The holidaymakers were down on usual. What's a partial fact about that? Personally I had great time whilst it was on, but that doesn't change facts. Yes pictures where taken of the beach in trhe evening....that beach should have been heaving...it looked more like October
[quote][p][bold]boobooweymouth[/bold] wrote: The Echo mostly only report the partial 'facts' that support its negative stance. Hence the headline about thousands not visiting. What about the many thousands who did visit during the Olympics (the first few days were quiet, thereafter it was packed), the vast majority of whom had an amazing time. Can we have the free sports arena back next summer please??[/p][/quote]Obviously the title is - those who came against projected figures...that's hardly a partial fact. We were sold 3 weeks of "Ainsley Sunday" that did not happen. The holidaymakers were down on usual. What's a partial fact about that? Personally I had great time whilst it was on, but that doesn't change facts. Yes pictures where taken of the beach in trhe evening....that beach should have been heaving...it looked more like October maximan
  • Score: 0

4:22pm Thu 1 Nov 12

DickDastardly says...

I blame the bad turn out on the lack of Charity shops, pound shops and coffee shops in Weymouth town.
I blame the bad turn out on the lack of Charity shops, pound shops and coffee shops in Weymouth town. DickDastardly
  • Score: 0

8:58pm Thu 1 Nov 12

muzzyofrotherham says...

I contributed to this discussion over 12 months ago and gave my reasons for not visiting Weymouth, the Olympics.
If I had used my usual hotel, I would not have been able to get my car out of the car park after 9.00 am. This was just one of a number of restrictions that were imposed. Being unable to visit and sit in Nothe Gardens was another.
When I submitted my views the response was a tirade of abuse from many Echo readers. Comments such as 'Don't come back' Stay away, and we don't need you' were commonplace. This was all the more alarming when on considers that I had spent an annual holiday in Weymouth for the previous decade.
Judging by many of the comments above it would seem that I am now welcome again in your fine town, now that the penny has dropped and the locals are beginning to realise that many of the tourists who stayed away this year may have found a resort that they came to like more and may well visit that resort again next summer. A possibility that I highlighted clearly in my original post.
Did the locals seriously expect the yachty types to spend money walking along the prom eating fish and chips and foregoing the 5 course evening meal that were being supplied on the cruise ships?
I almost relented and came to Weymouth as usual. My son dearly wanted to come. He has 4 children and wanted them to see some part of the Olympics. Understandably though he could not afford hotel bills for himself, wife and 4 kids.
I therefore tried to get some self-catering accommodation for us all.
I rang about 11 months before the games and obviously much of the self-catering accommodation was already booked.
I did manage to find one suitable appartment which was vacant. I asked the proprietor what the cost would be and he replied how much would I be prepared to offer.
When I replied that I did not understand he told me that he was not prepared to let the appartment and that he was holding for the highest bidder. He informed me that he had already been offered circa £1500 for the week but if I would like to offer in excess of that I would go to the top of the list, pending higher offers. I told him just where to put his appartment.
I eventually spent a week in the South Hams and a week in Cornwall. I had 2 very enjoyable holidays.
I did miss Weymouth and all the friends that I have met and made during the last decade in Weymouth.
However I met and made new friends in Devon & Cornwall.
I have not as yet finalised my holiday plans for 2013. Whereas my holiday plans are usually complete by this time, I am mulling between returning to Weymouth or returning to the resorts that I visited this year.
This submission may provoke similar responses as my original submission such as good riddance and don't come back. I feel that they may be thousands of other tourists in exactly the same position as I am, and if they don't come back I fear that Weyouth tourism may have serious problems in 2013.
I contributed to this discussion over 12 months ago and gave my reasons for not visiting Weymouth, the Olympics. If I had used my usual hotel, I would not have been able to get my car out of the car park after 9.00 am. This was just one of a number of restrictions that were imposed. Being unable to visit and sit in Nothe Gardens was another. When I submitted my views the response was a tirade of abuse from many Echo readers. Comments such as 'Don't come back' Stay away, and we don't need you' were commonplace. This was all the more alarming when on considers that I had spent an annual holiday in Weymouth for the previous decade. Judging by many of the comments above it would seem that I am now welcome again in your fine town, now that the penny has dropped and the locals are beginning to realise that many of the tourists who stayed away this year may have found a resort that they came to like more and may well visit that resort again next summer. A possibility that I highlighted clearly in my original post. Did the locals seriously expect the yachty types to spend money walking along the prom eating fish and chips and foregoing the 5 course evening meal that were being supplied on the cruise ships? I almost relented and came to Weymouth as usual. My son dearly wanted to come. He has 4 children and wanted them to see some part of the Olympics. Understandably though he could not afford hotel bills for himself, wife and 4 kids. I therefore tried to get some self-catering accommodation for us all. I rang about 11 months before the games and obviously much of the self-catering accommodation was already booked. I did manage to find one suitable appartment which was vacant. I asked the proprietor what the cost would be and he replied how much would I be prepared to offer. When I replied that I did not understand he told me that he was not prepared to let the appartment and that he was holding for the highest bidder. He informed me that he had already been offered circa £1500 for the week but if I would like to offer in excess of that I would go to the top of the list, pending higher offers. I told him just where to put his appartment. I eventually spent a week in the South Hams and a week in Cornwall. I had 2 very enjoyable holidays. I did miss Weymouth and all the friends that I have met and made during the last decade in Weymouth. However I met and made new friends in Devon & Cornwall. I have not as yet finalised my holiday plans for 2013. Whereas my holiday plans are usually complete by this time, I am mulling between returning to Weymouth or returning to the resorts that I visited this year. This submission may provoke similar responses as my original submission such as good riddance and don't come back. I feel that they may be thousands of other tourists in exactly the same position as I am, and if they don't come back I fear that Weyouth tourism may have serious problems in 2013. muzzyofrotherham
  • Score: 0

9:56pm Thu 1 Nov 12

A Real Wyke-ite says...

cordless wrote:
Could we find out through the freedom of information act, all the names of the people answering and commenting on any of the questions in these Echo Blogs who are employed by DCC,WDDC,W&P, or any Government Departments and/or are paid to do so.
Lets go back to names with addresses.
FOI Act cannot be used for this, such information is controlled by the Data Protection Act. So we'll never know.
[quote][p][bold]cordless[/bold] wrote: Could we find out through the freedom of information act, all the names of the people answering and commenting on any of the questions in these Echo Blogs who are employed by DCC,WDDC,W&P, or any Government Departments and/or are paid to do so. Lets go back to names with addresses.[/p][/quote]FOI Act cannot be used for this, such information is controlled by the Data Protection Act. So we'll never know. A Real Wyke-ite
  • Score: 0

3:03pm Fri 2 Nov 12

pigfarmer says...

Your man from Rotherham sums up in on comment where it all went wrong.

He stayed away because too many people were geared up to tear the ar5e out of the olympics.

Everyone from the council down to the smallest tat shop, prices went up, QoS was going to be down, and all the regular year in year out trade went elsewhere.

It was always going to happen. I said this the day it was announced the limpics were coming here - regular trade will steer clear due to prices, limpic trade just won't make up for it.

So, let's move on. 2012 season is over, there's some nice (ish) new roads & bus stops. It is time to start again from scratch and rebuild weybiza as a holiday destination.
Your man from Rotherham sums up in on comment where it all went wrong. He stayed away because too many people were geared up to tear the ar5e out of the olympics. Everyone from the council down to the smallest tat shop, prices went up, QoS was going to be down, and all the regular year in year out trade went elsewhere. It was always going to happen. I said this the day it was announced the limpics were coming here - regular trade will steer clear due to prices, limpic trade just won't make up for it. So, let's move on. 2012 season is over, there's some nice (ish) new roads & bus stops. It is time to start again from scratch and rebuild weybiza as a holiday destination. pigfarmer
  • Score: 0

12:37pm Tue 6 Nov 12

Monmouthsman says...

So fantastic that our largely local organisation at the Sailing Academy planned and ran the actual Olympic Regatta so well. The reputation and profile of Weymouth and Portland as a world ranking sailing venue was surely cemented into the world's top 5 with the TV coverage matching the brilliance of the organisation of events. The British competitors too more than did their bit on and off the water to make it a brilliant Olympic Regatta.
Such a shame then that our local councils in concert with LOCOG made such a shambles of their arrangements not only scaring the paying public away from the resort but also alienating us the local taxpayers in their offhand dealings with commercial and quality of life considerations both for the period of the Olympics and the two years running up to it.
I just hope that the regular Weymouth and Portland holidaymakers like Muzzyofrotherham will give us another chance and return here and be suitably warmly greeted with more than just a few weedy intermittent green lasers and another badly done cheap coat of paint on the Esplanade railings.
So fantastic that our largely local organisation at the Sailing Academy planned and ran the actual Olympic Regatta so well. The reputation and profile of Weymouth and Portland as a world ranking sailing venue was surely cemented into the world's top 5 with the TV coverage matching the brilliance of the organisation of events. The British competitors too more than did their bit on and off the water to make it a brilliant Olympic Regatta. Such a shame then that our local councils in concert with LOCOG made such a shambles of their arrangements not only scaring the paying public away from the resort but also alienating us the local taxpayers in their offhand dealings with commercial and quality of life considerations both for the period of the Olympics and the two years running up to it. I just hope that the regular Weymouth and Portland holidaymakers like Muzzyofrotherham will give us another chance and return here and be suitably warmly greeted with more than just a few weedy intermittent green lasers and another badly done cheap coat of paint on the Esplanade railings. Monmouthsman
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree