When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Safety advice as smoke alarms do their job
1:00pm Thursday 3rd January 2013 in News
DORSET Fire and Rescue Service are urging people to make sure their smoke alarms work.
Smoke alarms really do save lives – that’s the message from the fire service after two serious fires in as many days.
A dog died in a conservatory fire at a farm in Melplash in the early hours of New Year’s Day.
Fire crews from Beaminster and Bridport attended Barbridge Farm.
Fire crews said that due to a good night-time routine and closing all internal doors in the property, the fire was contained to the conservatory.
A spokesman for the service said: “A small amount of smoke entered the main house and set off the smoke alarms. The occupants were awakened and left the property safely.”
In the early hours of yesterday morning fire crews from Shaftesbury tackled a property fire in Motcombe where it is believed an unattended candle sparked the blaze.
Fire crews said that once again, internal doors were closed before bed and this meant that the damage was mostly limited to the room of origin.
Group manager Alun Morgan said: “This is the second time this week I have attended private homes where smoke alarms have alerted sleeping families to developing fires – working smoke detectors supported by closing internal doors helps to secure the family’s exit route until the fire and rescue service arrive.
“It is vital all non-essential electrical items are unplugged before retiring for the night.
“Similarly, candles must always be extinguished before leaving them unattended.”