When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Residents flee home blazes in Owermoigne and Portland
10:48am Thursday 17th January 2013 in News
A MAN was helped from his house in Owermoigne by a neighbour after a fire broke out and another resident fled their home following a blaze on Portland.
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said crews were alerted to the incidents within an hour last night.
Station Manager Steve Underhill, who attended the incident at Owermoigne said: “The occupier was helped to safety by a neighbour. We believe the cause of this fire to have been an unattended candle. The fire damage to the property was limited, but the entire property suffered smoke damage.
“This is a really important opportunity to remind Dorset residents that candles can be extremely dangerous and should never be left unattended."
The fire at Fancys Close, Easton, Portland, was sparked by a dishwasher.
The brigade said advice given to householder a month ago about fire safety proved to be invaluable.