When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Work set to go ahead on Weymouth Harbour ferry berth
11:00am Thursday 24th January 2013 in News
MAJOR work to install foundations at Weymouth Harbour as part of the ferry berth reconstruction is due to begin.
Weymouth and Portland Borough Council announced the piling work was going to get underway sometime this week and has now said it will start tomorrow.
This next stage is expected to be very noisy as steel piles are driven into the quayside to form the foundations, and this will go on until March.
The piles used by contractor Balfour Beatty are a combination of 15.5m-long hollow steel tubes and steel sheets that are driven or hammered into the ground to form deep foundations. They arrived by barge from Holland earlier this month.
The contractor aims to limit noise where possible but there will be occasions where this is unavoidable, says the council.
Environment spokesman Gill Taylor said: “We are really pleased that work to repair the harbour is progressing well and as planned. We are now moving to the next stage of the project and would like to make residents aware that there could be a lot of noise.
“It will be worth it in the long run as it will enable Condor Ferries to return to the borough.”
The working hours agreed between the council and contractor are Monday to Saturday 8am to 6pm.