When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Community leader has car torched in Littlemoor, Weymouth
A COMMUNITY organiser has praised neighbours who sprang into action when her car was torched.
Jan Hinton and her husband Pat were helped by residents who put out their burning Honda Accord with garden hoses after it was set alight on the couple’s driveway in Culliford Way, Littlemoor, Weymouth.
Mrs Hinton has previously spoken out against a spate of arson attacks which have blighted the estate this year but said she was not sure if that was the reason she was targeted.
The loss of her car meant that Mrs Hinton, 56, had to turn to friends to help with transporting items for a Littlemoor Community Fun Day at the weekend.
Pat Hinton, 58, was woken up at 12.30am by neighbours banging on the door and ringing on the phone.
He said: “We looked out the window and saw the car up in flames.
“It looked really bad at first but then the neighbours came out with hoses and we managed to get it under control.
“I really can’t thank them all enough for what they’ve done.
“It’s a horrible thing to have happened but it’s great the way everyone has rallied around.
“Practically half the road was out and people from round the corner came to see if we were okay, everyone was fantastic.
“The fire brigade came quickly.
“By the time the firefighters got here the neighbours had done half the work already.
“The car is a write-off and we’ve got insurance but it’s still going to cost us a lot of money.”
The couple have cancelled a holiday in Devon next month because they have to find extra cash on top of an insurance pay-out to replace the car.
Mrs Hinton, 56, also uses the car to take an elderly neighbour shopping.
She said: “I’m upset to have lost the car. This hasn’t really hit me yet. If I start feeling low I have to start reminding myself it was a metal shell on wheels and no one was hurt.
“You don’t realise how far-reaching the loss of a car is. We’d just had it MoT’d and taxed and the brakes repaired. It’s not just my family who have been affected by this. I take a young-at-heart lady out shopping and use it for community reasons.”
Mrs Hinton said she was extremely grateful for the many offers of help.
“I’m sure it was the quick thinking of friends and neighbours that meant the fire was not as bad as it could have been.
“The car was parked 3ft from the house and it could have easily spread and taken out the windows,” she added.
Comments are closed on this article.