When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Four crews deal with Chickerell barn fire
6:06pm Monday 19th August 2013 in News
FIREFIGHTERS have been working to get water to the scene of a barn blaze they are tacklign at Chickerell.
Four tons of hay went up in smoke in the fire, which is under investigation.
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at just after 5pm today to the barn in a lane off West Street.
Four crews of firefighters from Weymouth and Portland stations were sent and they were supported later by a dedicated water carrier from Bridport.
The open-sided barn is situated in a field off a track which comes off West Street and leads to the church. Due to problems with access to the remote site and getting water to the scene, crews established a relay between fire engines drawing on hydrants in the village. To support this action a fire engine was then sent to fetch water from a main hydrant in Chickerell Road.
Crews are expected to remain at the site throughout the night ensuring it is safe. A tractor has been helping with removal of the bales.
Station manager Julian Lockwood said the cause would be investigated.
Speaking from the scene this evening he said: “We’ve got a barn fire with approximately four tons of straw affected.
“Because of where we are, we are having to shuttle the water as the hydrants are spread out.
“It’s an open-sided barn with an asbestos roof and we need to make sure the roof isn’t affected. We need to damp it all down and control is before it spreads.”
He added: “We’ve had to ask the water board to increase the water pressure so residents may experience a drop in pressure as we do this.
“Access is an issue for us up here. It’s a field behind a residential area and it’s incredibly tight corner for the appliances to get round.”
West Street has been closed to traffic while firefighters work at the scene.
One resident said the water in his taps at home was reduced to a trickle which prompted him to come out and see what was going on.
The resident, who did not want to give his name, said: “I heard the sirens but I assumed it was something on the main road.
“If I’d known the firemen were here I would’ve brought my buckets.”
Another resident said: “I heard the sirens and came out to see what was going on. It was quite a sight to see the fire engines.”
Comments are closed on this article.