When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Burglary rate drops in Dorset
BURGLARIES in Dorset have dropped since last year but police are warning residents to stay vigilant.
Dwelling burglaries in the county have fallen by 12 per cent and non-dwelling burglaries by 10 per cent compared to 2012.
In the whole of Dorset there have been 540 dwelling burglaries this year between April 1 and the end of July compared to 612 for the same period last year and 978 commercial burglaries, with 1,084 last year.
In Weymouth, Portland and Dorchester there have been 61 dwelling burglaries this year between April and July, down from 75 last year – a drop of almost 19 per cent and 184 non-dwelling incidents, with 200 last year – a drop of eight per cent.
Detective Inspector Richard Dixey said it is great to see the numbers falling but urged businesses and households to keep properties secure.
He said: “It has been a priority for the force this year and the public have been very supportive in listening to our advice and keeping their homes and premises secure.
“We are not complacent though and are working hard to reduce incidents even further.
“I’d urge business owners and householders to continue to help us by taking every step to keep their premises and homes secure.”
Inspector Dixey warned residents to keep their homes locked up and safe this summer.
He said: “Particularly in the summer months, it’s important that windows and doors are not left easily accessible for opportunist burglars to try their luck.
“Keep doors and windows locked, including sheds and garages.
“Don’t leave valuables, including car keys or spare door keys, on display.”
DEVASTATED BY RAID
PORTLAND grandmother Karen Henderson, right, was devastated after burglars ransacked her house and stole Christmas gifts and family jewellery last December.
Karen, who works as a district nurse, said it is good news that the number of burglaries has gone down but thinks the police did not do enough to catch the culprits when her home was broken into.
She said: “It’s definitely good news for them but the police didn’t do much for me.
“The case was dropped from lack of evidence. As far as I’m concerned the police could have done more.”
COUNCILLOR PRAISES POLICE EFFORTS
COUNCILLOR Geoff Petherick, spokesman for community safety for Weymouth and Portland Borough Council, said he was impressed with the drop in burglary numbers in light of the police cuts.
He said: “I think the police are doing very, very well on fewer resources to achieve these results.
“This has been a trend for the last few years.
“What they are doing is changing how they handle this kind of crime and it’s very much victim-focused which appears to be giving results.
“Despite dramatic reductions in funding, and the proportion that’s allocated to Dorset Police, they are doing a tremendous job and locally this is down to Les Fry and his team who are doing a great job.”
Comments are closed on this article.