When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
'Prison inevitable' as pair admit GBH after Weymouth attack
TWO men have been told they face an ‘inevitable’ prison sentence after admitting an attack in Weymouth town centre.
Charlie Darch, 22, and Zac Anthony Walden, 21, both pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Daniel Hart on Friday, September 13.
Dorchester Crown Court was told the full extent of the injuries sustained by the victim was not yet known but it was believed he had sustained several fractures.
Darch also admitted breaching an anti-social behaviour order imposed by Weymouth Magistrates Court in June by behaving violently towards another.
Judge Roger Jarvis adjourned the case for a pre-sentence report to be prepared and Darch, of Ranelagh Road, Weymouth, and Walden, of Littlemoor Road, Weymouth, will return to court to be sentenced on October 17.
The judge told the defendants: “Both of you have made admissions to a very serious matter and there is the inevitability of a custodial sentence.
“The principal area of mitigation that I am aware of so far is that you offered your pleas of guilty at the earlier opportunity and I will keep that very much in mind.”
Darch and Walden were remanded in custody.
Police sealed off Maiden Street near the junction with St Alban Street after the attack at about 6.40am last Friday morning.
Forensic officers were called in to search for clues at the scene before police left the scene at about 9am.
Traders and shop owners told of their shock immediately after the attack last week.
One said at 6.30am he saw a man lying in the road.
It came on a weekend when there was a separate brawl in St Mary Street in Weymouth at 7am on Sunday involving different people.
Police arrested four people following the incident.
Behaviour won’t be tolerated
MAYOR of Weymouth and Portland Ray Banham said the words of the judge and actions of the police sent a strong message out that this sort of behaviour would not be tolerated and that custodial sentences would be the end result.
He said: “I think hopefully if one or two more see it and the publicity this sort of behaviour is getting, I think the combination of the two will deter a lot more of it.”
He added: “It just goes to show it won’t be tolerated.”
Spokesman for community safety for Weymouth and Portland Borough Council, Geoff Petherick said that this sort of behaviour would not be tolerated.
He said: “I think the important thing is to send a message to other youngsters who come into the town, that we won’t tolerate it.” He added: “We want Weymouth to be a town centre where people feel safe, comfortable and enjoy the area
Comments are closed on this article.