When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Coastguard control centre to close in 2014
4:17pm Wednesday 25th September 2013 in News
THE Portland Coastguard control centre will close in September next year, it has been announced.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said yesterday that the closure will coincide with the launch of the new National Maritime Operations Centre in Fareham.
Campaigner Roger Macpherson, of Weymouth, said the situation is ‘ludicrous’.
He said: “This was inevitable. The centre was never something we could save as the final decision had been made, but I still think it is a retrograde step.
“This is the hub of all coastguard operations in the area. The people who staff it decide what response is needed – whether it is the helicopter, landrover, lifeboats – and they have the local knowledge to know how long it will take to get there and whether there are any difficult currents to cope with.
“All that is going to be lost.”
The move is part of the Government’s plan to modernise the coastguard service across the country.
A spokesman for the MCA said that the Fareham centre will open before the closure of the Portland and Solent bases, and that staff and facilities would be rigorously tested before the centre is launched.
Chief Executive of the MCA Sir Alan Massey said: “This is an exciting time. We are moving into a new era for HM Coastguard that will reinforce the ability of our staff to ensure the safety of seafarers and the public.
“We want to continue being a world-class organisation that is committed to preventing loss of life, improving maritime safety, and protecting the marine environment.
“At the same time, our Coastguards can look forward to more satisfying and better rewarded careers.”
He added: “We realise that this whole change programme will be tough for some of our people, particularly those who feel that they have no future with HM Coastguard.
“We recognise that, and will do our very best to work with every individual to ensure they are properly equipped and supported in making the best decision for them.”
National campaigner Dennis O’Connor, of Coastguard SOS, said the closure of the Portland centre is ‘even more contentious’ than the closure of other centres across the country.
He added: “I fear this will have a serious impact on the Dorset coast, which is one of the biggest tourism destinations in the UK.
“An incredible risk is being taken here.”
THE fight to save the Portland Coastguard rescue helicopter will continue despite the news, Mr Macpherson has pledged.
Around 100,000 people have now signed a petition urging the Government to rethink the decision. The service is due to be axed in 2017.
Mr Macpherson said campaigners are discussing plans to take the petition to 10 Downing Street.
Comments are closed on this article.