UPDATE: Investigators probe garage spill

Dorset Echo: Firefighters at garage chemical spill Firefighters at garage chemical spill

A CHEMICAL spill in a garage was thought to be hydrochloric acid.

Crews were called to a property fire in Bourton, in the far north of Dorset, just before 3pm yesterday

Wiltshire firefighters also attended.

Upon arrival, further assistance was required for the Environmental Support Unit as a chemical had been spilled in the garage.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus and gas type suits to make the area safe.

A Dorset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the acid was taken away in a contained drum to be disposed of safely.

A decontamination of firefighters was carried out at the scene.

The Environment Agency, police and paramedics also attended the incident.

The last fire crew left the scene at 6.19pm.

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:52pm Sun 15 Dec 13

westbaywonder says...

WOW!
The chemical involved was windscreen wash.
WOW! The chemical involved was windscreen wash. westbaywonder

8:04am Mon 16 Dec 13

Dorset Mitch says...

Not windscreen wash, unless you wash your windscreen in a substance that melts certain metals!
Not windscreen wash, unless you wash your windscreen in a substance that melts certain metals! Dorset Mitch

8:06am Mon 16 Dec 13

Dorset Mitch says...

*Gas tight suits

*The decontamination of firefighters
*Gas tight suits *The decontamination of firefighters Dorset Mitch

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree