A BED and breakfast in West Lulworth has been named the best in the world.
Award winners were determined based on the reviews of TripAdvisor travellers around the globe. The Dorset B&B has risen up the ranks to become the world’s number one after coming 10th in 2012.
It is run by Clive and Lisa Orchard, who set up the B&B in 2010 as a change of lifestyle after reaching natural career breaks. Clive is originally from Dorset and learnt to swim at Durdle Door.
Lisa, originally from Sydney, Australia, said: “We are so grateful to our guests for taking the time to write the reviews. We both love the area and we’re hoping that people have a wonderful holiday in Dorset, which is something we can help them to do.”
TripAdvisor reviewers describe the quirkily named B&B as an ‘amazing little gem’ with a breakfast ‘to die for’.
One reviewer wrote: “Spotlessly clean, with lots of thoughtful extra touches.”
Bindon Bottom, named because it is sited near Bindon Hill, has a strong literary lilt, with its five guest rooms named after authors including Dorset dialect poet William Barnes and Enid Blyton.
Lisa said: “I think it’s our personal choices that make us different.”
Also flying the flag for Dorset is the Summer Lodge Hotel in Evershot, which was named the 8th Best Small Hotel in the UK.
For a complete list of winners see tripadvisor.co.uk/TravellersChoice
Final 10 in TripAdvisor list
1. Bindon Bottom B&B, West Lulworth, Dorset, United Kingdom
2. All Seasons Guest House Filey, Filey, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3. Historic Oak Hill Inn, Natchez, Mississippi United States
4. Saxon Villa, Robin Hoods Bay, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5. Baan Malinee Bed and Breakfast, Thalang District, Thailand
6. Linnett Hill, Keswick, Cumbria, United Kingdom
7. Riad Alnadine, Marrakech, Morocco
8. Dumfries House Lodge, Cumnock, East Ayrshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
9. Millgate Bed & Breakfast, Masham, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
10. Arbor Guest House, Napa, California, United States