TripAdvisor names Dorset B&B as best in the world

Dorset Echo: NUMBER ONE: The Bindon Bottom B&B in West Lulworth NUMBER ONE: The Bindon Bottom B&B in West Lulworth

A BED and breakfast in West Lulworth has been named the best in the world.

Bindon Bottom, a Victorian country house close to Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door, scooped the title of World’s Best B&B at the TripAdvisor 2014 Travellers’ Choice awards.

Award winners were determined based on the reviews of TripAdvisor travellers around the globe. The Dorset B&B has risen up the ranks to become the world’s number one after coming 10th in 2012.

It is run by Clive and Lisa Orchard, who set up the B&B in 2010 as a change of lifestyle after reaching natural career breaks. Clive is originally from Dorset and learnt to swim at Durdle Door.

Lisa, originally from Sydney, Australia, said: “We are so grateful to our guests for taking the time to write the reviews. We both love the area and we’re hoping that people have a wonderful holiday in Dorset, which is something we can help them to do.”

TripAdvisor reviewers describe the quirkily named B&B as an ‘amazing little gem’ with a breakfast ‘to die for’.

One reviewer wrote: “Spotlessly clean, with lots of thoughtful extra touches.”

Bindon Bottom, named because it is sited near Bindon Hill, has a strong literary lilt, with its five guest rooms named after authors including Dorset dialect poet William Barnes and Enid Blyton.

Lisa said: “I think it’s our personal choices that make us different.”

Also flying the flag for Dorset is the Summer Lodge Hotel in Evershot, which was named the 8th Best Small Hotel in the UK.

For a complete list of winners see tripadvisor.co.uk/TravellersChoice

Final 10 in TripAdvisor list

1. Bindon Bottom B&B, West Lulworth, Dorset, United Kingdom

2. All Seasons Guest House Filey, Filey, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom

3. Historic Oak Hill Inn, Natchez, Mississippi United States

4. Saxon Villa, Robin Hoods Bay, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom

5. Baan Malinee Bed and Breakfast, Thalang District, Thailand

6. Linnett Hill, Keswick, Cumbria, United Kingdom

7. Riad Alnadine, Marrakech, Morocco

8. Dumfries House Lodge, Cumnock, East Ayrshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

9. Millgate Bed & Breakfast, Masham, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom

10. Arbor Guest House, Napa, California, United States

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:56am Wed 22 Jan 14

The Fish says...

Slightly expensive for a B&B!
Slightly expensive for a B&B! The Fish
  • Score: 0

12:22pm Wed 22 Jan 14

elloello1980 says...

The Fish wrote:
Slightly expensive for a B&B!
you get what you pay for in this world
[quote][p][bold]The Fish[/bold] wrote: Slightly expensive for a B&B![/p][/quote]you get what you pay for in this world elloello1980
  • Score: 4

3:35pm Wed 22 Jan 14

The Fish says...

elloello1980 wrote:
The Fish wrote:
Slightly expensive for a B&B!
you get what you pay for in this world
And what exactly do you get (note the clue is in B&B). I can stay in better London Hotels for less than this!
[quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Fish[/bold] wrote: Slightly expensive for a B&B![/p][/quote]you get what you pay for in this world[/p][/quote]And what exactly do you get (note the clue is in B&B). I can stay in better London Hotels for less than this! The Fish
  • Score: -4

4:24pm Wed 22 Jan 14

elloello1980 says...

The Fish wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
The Fish wrote: Slightly expensive for a B&B!
you get what you pay for in this world
And what exactly do you get (note the clue is in B&B). I can stay in better London Hotels for less than this!
A B&B that was voted number 1 in the world by TripAdvisor users, in the most beautiful county in England.

Countryside over smoke, anyday ;)
[quote][p][bold]The Fish[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Fish[/bold] wrote: Slightly expensive for a B&B![/p][/quote]you get what you pay for in this world[/p][/quote]And what exactly do you get (note the clue is in B&B). I can stay in better London Hotels for less than this![/p][/quote]A B&B that was voted number 1 in the world by TripAdvisor users, in the most beautiful county in England. Countryside over smoke, anyday ;) elloello1980
  • Score: 5

5:02pm Wed 22 Jan 14

woodsedge says...

elloello1980 wrote:
The Fish wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
The Fish wrote: Slightly expensive for a B&B!
you get what you pay for in this world
And what exactly do you get (note the clue is in B&B). I can stay in better London Hotels for less than this!
A B&B that was voted number 1 in the world by TripAdvisor users, in the most beautiful county in England.

Countryside over smoke, anyday ;)
I quite agree, London or Lulworth smog or sea, no competition in my mind.
[quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Fish[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Fish[/bold] wrote: Slightly expensive for a B&B![/p][/quote]you get what you pay for in this world[/p][/quote]And what exactly do you get (note the clue is in B&B). I can stay in better London Hotels for less than this![/p][/quote]A B&B that was voted number 1 in the world by TripAdvisor users, in the most beautiful county in England. Countryside over smoke, anyday ;)[/p][/quote]I quite agree, London or Lulworth smog or sea, no competition in my mind. woodsedge
  • Score: 5

8:39am Thu 23 Jan 14

acop40 says...

good job they didn't publish the 10 worst places in the world. it wouldn't have been good for the Weymouth tourist industry.
good job they didn't publish the 10 worst places in the world. it wouldn't have been good for the Weymouth tourist industry. acop40
  • Score: 2

10:28am Thu 23 Jan 14

elloello1980 says...

woodsedge wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
The Fish wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
The Fish wrote: Slightly expensive for a B&B!
you get what you pay for in this world
And what exactly do you get (note the clue is in B&B). I can stay in better London Hotels for less than this!
A B&B that was voted number 1 in the world by TripAdvisor users, in the most beautiful county in England. Countryside over smoke, anyday ;)
I quite agree, London or Lulworth smog or sea, no competition in my mind.
I much prefer the homely feel and welcome that a B&B often offers. usually more flexible with check in and out times too.
[quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Fish[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Fish[/bold] wrote: Slightly expensive for a B&B![/p][/quote]you get what you pay for in this world[/p][/quote]And what exactly do you get (note the clue is in B&B). I can stay in better London Hotels for less than this![/p][/quote]A B&B that was voted number 1 in the world by TripAdvisor users, in the most beautiful county in England. Countryside over smoke, anyday ;)[/p][/quote]I quite agree, London or Lulworth smog or sea, no competition in my mind.[/p][/quote]I much prefer the homely feel and welcome that a B&B often offers. usually more flexible with check in and out times too. elloello1980
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree