Plea for calm at tax hike meeting

CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC: Portland Town Council

CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC: Portland Town Council

First published in News by

A PLEA for calm has been issued ahead of a public meeting to discuss Portland’s huge council tax precept hike.

A large crowd is expected at the meeting on Monday which has been called so councillors can explain the thinking behind a decision to increase the island precept, which will rise by almost 1,000 per cent for a Band D property.

It will help the town council to become more independent financially and have more money to spend on the island.

Such is the growing anger at the decision that police have been informed of the meeting at All Saints Church, Easton, which starts at 7pm.

Mayor Les Ames said apart from the poll tax demonstrations of 1990 he had not known such feelings about an issue of local concern in his 40 years in local government.

He said: “I would like this to be a careful and thoughtful meeting.

“Feelings are running high and I have had a constant stream of calls about it. There are also a lot of rumours flying around which are incorrect.

“People who want to speak at the meeting should think before they do so and carefully word what they want to say.

“However people feel I want them to approach this sensibly and with thought.”

Coun Ames said he hoped the ‘sacred’ meeting venue would have a calming influence on the discussion.

The meeting will be chaired by a retired court judge, John Ungley.

Coun Ames added: “Personally I hope the council will take another look at the decision on the precept.

“If they do then we can take strength and guidance from the results of the meeting on Monday.”

He said he asked the town clerk to inform Dorset Police of the meeting as a precaution.

Dorset Police said it had ‘no issue’ with the meeting and that officers wouldn’t be attending but would be on patrol as normal.

Portland Town Council will rake in £500,000 from the precept to spend on improving services and funding community projects.

Town councillors have been told a rule governing council business may have been breached at a meeting in December when the budget proposal was discussed.

It has been suggested to councillors the budget process is started again at a meeting of the council of February 5.

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:28am Sat 25 Jan 14

cosmick says...

Dont worry it always goes quiet after a hanging.
Dont worry it always goes quiet after a hanging. cosmick
  • Score: 9

10:29am Sat 25 Jan 14

David_divenghy2 says...

" As the pigs on the farm run from their troughs, cynically exploiting the long dead sanctuary of a church, they call upon Farm thugs, the foxes, for help. It falls on deaf ears and they return to the farm perimeter with a wry smile.

Meanwhile the Bulls round angrily on the arrogant pigs cowering, as Quasimodo Munro is seen leaping about in the bell tower shouting, "The bills, The Bills !"

The revolt has begun.
" As the pigs on the farm run from their troughs, cynically exploiting the long dead sanctuary of a church, they call upon Farm thugs, the foxes, for help. It falls on deaf ears and they return to the farm perimeter with a wry smile. Meanwhile the Bulls round angrily on the arrogant pigs cowering, as Quasimodo Munro is seen leaping about in the bell tower shouting, "The bills, The Bills !" The revolt has begun. David_divenghy2
  • Score: 22

10:37am Sat 25 Jan 14

prestonpete says...

If Tim Munro is there, you can be certain of civil unrest! Miserable man needs a real talking to. So do the rest of the Munro's!! They'll soon see what the people of Portland think of them.
If Tim Munro is there, you can be certain of civil unrest! Miserable man needs a real talking to. So do the rest of the Munro's!! They'll soon see what the people of Portland think of them. prestonpete
  • Score: 16

10:49am Sat 25 Jan 14

prestonpete says...

Further to my last comment, and before anyone thinks I'm starting a riot, I should clarify that this isn't the case. I'm simply saying that there will be much heated debate and public opinion. Personally, I'm upset by much of what Tim has said and done, and I will look forward to the opportunity where he has to explain himself, and the rest of his PTC colleagues, in what will be a very heated and frustration-filled evening.
Further to my last comment, and before anyone thinks I'm starting a riot, I should clarify that this isn't the case. I'm simply saying that there will be much heated debate and public opinion. Personally, I'm upset by much of what Tim has said and done, and I will look forward to the opportunity where he has to explain himself, and the rest of his PTC colleagues, in what will be a very heated and frustration-filled evening. prestonpete
  • Score: 10

12:35pm Sat 25 Jan 14

radiator says...

David_divenghy2 wrote:
" As the pigs on the farm run from their troughs, cynically exploiting the long dead sanctuary of a church, they call upon Farm thugs, the foxes, for help. It falls on deaf ears and they return to the farm perimeter with a wry smile.

Meanwhile the Bulls round angrily on the arrogant pigs cowering, as Quasimodo Munro is seen leaping about in the bell tower shouting, "The bills, The Bills !"

The revolt has begun.
Nice comment Dave I haven't stopped laughing yet.
I have only met T Munro a couple of times and that was a few years back and I wasn't that impressed by him then as he seemed to wear a cloak of arrogance even then and by this rather pernicious attack on the good people of Portland he 's not changed.
[quote][p][bold]David_divenghy2[/bold] wrote: " As the pigs on the farm run from their troughs, cynically exploiting the long dead sanctuary of a church, they call upon Farm thugs, the foxes, for help. It falls on deaf ears and they return to the farm perimeter with a wry smile. Meanwhile the Bulls round angrily on the arrogant pigs cowering, as Quasimodo Munro is seen leaping about in the bell tower shouting, "The bills, The Bills !" The revolt has begun.[/p][/quote]Nice comment Dave I haven't stopped laughing yet. I have only met T Munro a couple of times and that was a few years back and I wasn't that impressed by him then as he seemed to wear a cloak of arrogance even then and by this rather pernicious attack on the good people of Portland he 's not changed. radiator
  • Score: 14

12:35pm Sat 25 Jan 14

shy talk says...

Rope sales on Portland have hit an all time high in the last few days!!!!
Rope sales on Portland have hit an all time high in the last few days!!!! shy talk
  • Score: 7

3:36pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Crabber says...

Gallows will be built on Priory Corner Monday afternoon. I actually have an Original 'Bridport Dagger' ( Hangman's Noose)which I will freely donate
Gallows will be built on Priory Corner Monday afternoon. I actually have an Original 'Bridport Dagger' ( Hangman's Noose)which I will freely donate Crabber
  • Score: 5

4:56pm Sat 25 Jan 14

common cence says...

Calm call for calm CALM to f,,,ing late for calm THEY MUST GO every last one of them ( p t c councillors that is ) the people of portland have been insulted by this family , No doubt with a bit of luck and people standing together it will have a detrimental effect on there business on the island ,,,,, I for one will NEVER use them again ,
Calm call for calm CALM to f,,,ing late for calm THEY MUST GO every last one of them ( p t c councillors that is ) the people of portland have been insulted by this family , No doubt with a bit of luck and people standing together it will have a detrimental effect on there business on the island ,,,,, I for one will NEVER use them again , common cence
  • Score: 7

6:15pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Crabber says...

common cence wrote:
Calm call for calm CALM to f,,,ing late for calm THEY MUST GO every last one of them ( p t c councillors that is ) the people of portland have been insulted by this family , No doubt with a bit of luck and people standing together it will have a detrimental effect on there business on the island ,,,,, I for one will NEVER use them again ,
Coun Tim Munro, who put forward the proposal to put up the precept, said it was incorrect to say the standing order had been infringed as the mayor could have intervened at the meeting in December but failed to do so.
First of all Munro can you please for the umpteenth time clarify A your place of Birth & B Your Current Residential address for the record
Because yet again you Munro T allegedly bullied both The Mayor & The Town Clerk. Does it make you more of a Man to Bully (A) A 90+ year old well respected member of our Council & Community ? & (B) A very Religious Man who would as the Bible says "Turn the Other Cheek". Or is it as most of s suspect a little short in the Trouser Dept are we? It seems that bullying is the Normal Activity for members of PTC.. Councillor RODNEY WILD decided on Thursday last to go and indirectly verbally abuse the Disabled Lady who was collecting Petition Signatures in Easton, to the extent he was warned THREE times re his demeanor and was informed that if he didn't remove himself the Police would be called.

This comes after an incident at the PTC Offices on Monday night when the Public were excluded from a meeting whereby Councillor RICHARD DENTON-WHITE verbally abuse a lady

and these are the sort of People who are representing the People of The Isle & Royal Manor of Portland, well not me you don't Just a few last words ADOLF HITLER DIED IN 1945 so did most of his bully-boy henchmen
[quote][p][bold]common cence[/bold] wrote: Calm call for calm CALM to f,,,ing late for calm THEY MUST GO every last one of them ( p t c councillors that is ) the people of portland have been insulted by this family , No doubt with a bit of luck and people standing together it will have a detrimental effect on there business on the island ,,,,, I for one will NEVER use them again ,[/p][/quote]Coun Tim Munro, who put forward the proposal to put up the precept, said it was incorrect to say the standing order had been infringed as the mayor could have intervened at the meeting in December but failed to do so. First of all Munro can you please for the umpteenth time clarify A your place of Birth & B Your Current Residential address for the record Because yet again you Munro T allegedly bullied both The Mayor & The Town Clerk. Does it make you more of a Man to Bully (A) A 90+ year old well respected member of our Council & Community ? & (B) A very Religious Man who would as the Bible says "Turn the Other Cheek". Or is it as most of s suspect a little short in the Trouser Dept are we? It seems that bullying is the Normal Activity for members of PTC.. Councillor RODNEY WILD decided on Thursday last to go and indirectly verbally abuse the Disabled Lady who was collecting Petition Signatures in Easton, to the extent he was warned THREE times re his demeanor and was informed that if he didn't remove himself the Police would be called. This comes after an incident at the PTC Offices on Monday night when the Public were excluded from a meeting whereby Councillor RICHARD DENTON-WHITE verbally abuse a lady and these are the sort of People who are representing the People of The Isle & Royal Manor of Portland, well not me you don't Just a few last words ADOLF HITLER DIED IN 1945 so did most of his bully-boy henchmen Crabber
  • Score: 11

6:49pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Gordon Bennett says...

Hopefully the Munro clan and from what I read above Councillor Wild will be tossed into the dog bin of Portland Town Council history at the next election. Unless of course they have a shred of dignity between them and resign first.
Hopefully the Munro clan and from what I read above Councillor Wild will be tossed into the dog bin of Portland Town Council history at the next election. Unless of course they have a shred of dignity between them and resign first. Gordon Bennett
  • Score: 8

6:51pm Sat 25 Jan 14

doyle52 says...

Cometh the hour cometh the bully slaying !! Well they go round doing the door knocks when they want ya vote and tell you they will do this and do that etc etc. We vote for them whoever each person choses and some sit on the fence! The latter do that because they have a nose for liars! The rest of us get suckered and vote for the best we feel at that time. Then low and behold they sweep in at a later date and cut ya balls clean off!! And then a kretin like Munro says `Well you voted me in` well really chap does that mean we have done that so you can treat us like thick,stupid backward islanders does it !! NO it bloody doesnt and finally something has come up you thought off that has brought all the people you and others cheated together to meet you on the battlefield ! And not one apologetic respectful answer from you just a spout of arrogance and i know whats best for Portland ! You all should of tried getting the services we pay for to wpbc whether they can afford them or not !! Because we paid them and you to have these and a hell of a lot of us struggle to pay for that let alone the hike of all hikes!!
And you think we are all going to be all flowers and chocolates about it well i and others say **** to that!
Cometh the hour cometh the bully slaying !! Well they go round doing the door knocks when they want ya vote and tell you they will do this and do that etc etc. We vote for them whoever each person choses and some sit on the fence! The latter do that because they have a nose for liars! The rest of us get suckered and vote for the best we feel at that time. Then low and behold they sweep in at a later date and cut ya balls clean off!! And then a kretin like Munro says `Well you voted me in` well really chap does that mean we have done that so you can treat us like thick,stupid backward islanders does it !! NO it bloody doesnt and finally something has come up you thought off that has brought all the people you and others cheated together to meet you on the battlefield ! And not one apologetic respectful answer from you just a spout of arrogance and i know whats best for Portland ! You all should of tried getting the services we pay for to wpbc whether they can afford them or not !! Because we paid them and you to have these and a hell of a lot of us struggle to pay for that let alone the hike of all hikes!! And you think we are all going to be all flowers and chocolates about it well i and others say **** to that! doyle52
  • Score: 8

7:27pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Portland Town Clerk says...

Last week at Portland Town Council we were trying to arrange for the website permissions to be transferred from our old provider, Weymouth & Portland Borough Council, to the new one, but no news had come through by the time I finished work on Thursday. Because we are only a small council operating on a part-time basis, the Offices are closed on Fridays.

Anyway I have just found that the new website has gone live, although at present it's only in an emergency cut-down form, which just shows Council meeting minutes. However since there has been a lot of interest in seeing the December Town Council minutes it seemed best to pass the word on straight away.

Just google "Portland Town Council" and you should find it.
Last week at Portland Town Council we were trying to arrange for the website permissions to be transferred from our old provider, Weymouth & Portland Borough Council, to the new one, but no news had come through by the time I finished work on Thursday. Because we are only a small council operating on a part-time basis, the Offices are closed on Fridays. Anyway I have just found that the new website has gone live, although at present it's only in an emergency cut-down form, which just shows Council meeting minutes. However since there has been a lot of interest in seeing the December Town Council minutes it seemed best to pass the word on straight away. Just google "Portland Town Council" and you should find it. Portland Town Clerk
  • Score: -3

9:39pm Sat 25 Jan 14

David_divenghy2 says...

Portland Town Clerk wrote:
Last week at Portland Town Council we were trying to arrange for the website permissions to be transferred from our old provider, Weymouth & Portland Borough Council, to the new one, but no news had come through by the time I finished work on Thursday. Because we are only a small council operating on a part-time basis, the Offices are closed on Fridays.

Anyway I have just found that the new website has gone live, although at present it's only in an emergency cut-down form, which just shows Council meeting minutes. However since there has been a lot of interest in seeing the December Town Council minutes it seemed best to pass the word on straight away.

Just google "Portland Town Council" and you should find it.
It seems rather convenient timing that the website now changes to a one -page temporary affair after being dormant for 6 months and only after people have been digging and asking questions about where the £500 annual monies has been going and is now going?

I understand from another comment on another article the site was registered by an ( at the time) I.T employee of the WPBC, which means they are already being paid from tax payers money for such work by the WPBC and one presumes also getting money from the Portland precept as well?

So are we to presume that this same person whose name still stands as registrant, has in the last 48hrs changed the domain registration to "Portland town council" from WPBC, is the one still administering the site and was previously? Please correct this is it is wrong.

If so when do we see at least £250 reimbursed for the 6 months nobody bothered administering the site? In fact please tell us where exactly £500 is going and has been going on that site? I'm damned if i can see £500 worth anywhere, hosting included?

Should Heir Munro's "Death Tax" insanely continue forward, perhaps you could donate the £250 to a couple of Portland's most needy elderly, before the new precept kills them.
[quote][p][bold]Portland Town Clerk[/bold] wrote: Last week at Portland Town Council we were trying to arrange for the website permissions to be transferred from our old provider, Weymouth & Portland Borough Council, to the new one, but no news had come through by the time I finished work on Thursday. Because we are only a small council operating on a part-time basis, the Offices are closed on Fridays. Anyway I have just found that the new website has gone live, although at present it's only in an emergency cut-down form, which just shows Council meeting minutes. However since there has been a lot of interest in seeing the December Town Council minutes it seemed best to pass the word on straight away. Just google "Portland Town Council" and you should find it.[/p][/quote]It seems rather convenient timing that the website now changes to a one -page temporary affair after being dormant for 6 months and only after people have been digging and asking questions about where the £500 annual monies has been going and is now going? I understand from another comment on another article the site was registered by an ( at the time) I.T employee of the WPBC, which means they are already being paid from tax payers money for such work by the WPBC and one presumes also getting money from the Portland precept as well? So are we to presume that this same person whose name still stands as registrant, has in the last 48hrs changed the domain registration to "Portland town council" from WPBC, is the one still administering the site and was previously? Please correct this is it is wrong. If so when do we see at least £250 reimbursed for the 6 months nobody bothered administering the site? In fact please tell us where exactly £500 is going and has been going on that site? I'm damned if i can see £500 worth anywhere, hosting included? Should Heir Munro's "Death Tax" insanely continue forward, perhaps you could donate the £250 to a couple of Portland's most needy elderly, before the new precept kills them. David_divenghy2
  • Score: 13

9:45pm Sat 25 Jan 14

David_divenghy2 says...

http://www.portlandt
owncouncil.co.uk/Min
utes-Council-Dec-201
3.pdf

Minutes from the December 2013 meeting over precept.
http://www.portlandt owncouncil.co.uk/Min utes-Council-Dec-201 3.pdf Minutes from the December 2013 meeting over precept. David_divenghy2
  • Score: 4

10:33pm Sat 25 Jan 14

doyle52 says...

David_divenghy2 wrote:
Portland Town Clerk wrote:
Last week at Portland Town Council we were trying to arrange for the website permissions to be transferred from our old provider, Weymouth & Portland Borough Council, to the new one, but no news had come through by the time I finished work on Thursday. Because we are only a small council operating on a part-time basis, the Offices are closed on Fridays.

Anyway I have just found that the new website has gone live, although at present it's only in an emergency cut-down form, which just shows Council meeting minutes. However since there has been a lot of interest in seeing the December Town Council minutes it seemed best to pass the word on straight away.

Just google "Portland Town Council" and you should find it.
It seems rather convenient timing that the website now changes to a one -page temporary affair after being dormant for 6 months and only after people have been digging and asking questions about where the £500 annual monies has been going and is now going?

I understand from another comment on another article the site was registered by an ( at the time) I.T employee of the WPBC, which means they are already being paid from tax payers money for such work by the WPBC and one presumes also getting money from the Portland precept as well?

So are we to presume that this same person whose name still stands as registrant, has in the last 48hrs changed the domain registration to "Portland town council" from WPBC, is the one still administering the site and was previously? Please correct this is it is wrong.

If so when do we see at least £250 reimbursed for the 6 months nobody bothered administering the site? In fact please tell us where exactly £500 is going and has been going on that site? I'm damned if i can see £500 worth anywhere, hosting included?

Should Heir Munro's "Death Tax" insanely continue forward, perhaps you could donate the £250 to a couple of Portland's most needy elderly, before the new precept kills them.
as you know David_divenghy2 it has been done in a poor attempt to paper over the cracks or should i say caverns created by all at ptc ! A simple poor showing by a sloppy,greedy parish council who dont shoulder the blame but just shift it to outside sources! perhaps they should hold their meetings up the ghost tunnels or call us mushrooms!! As were always kept in the dark and fed **** !!
[quote][p][bold]David_divenghy2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Portland Town Clerk[/bold] wrote: Last week at Portland Town Council we were trying to arrange for the website permissions to be transferred from our old provider, Weymouth & Portland Borough Council, to the new one, but no news had come through by the time I finished work on Thursday. Because we are only a small council operating on a part-time basis, the Offices are closed on Fridays. Anyway I have just found that the new website has gone live, although at present it's only in an emergency cut-down form, which just shows Council meeting minutes. However since there has been a lot of interest in seeing the December Town Council minutes it seemed best to pass the word on straight away. Just google "Portland Town Council" and you should find it.[/p][/quote]It seems rather convenient timing that the website now changes to a one -page temporary affair after being dormant for 6 months and only after people have been digging and asking questions about where the £500 annual monies has been going and is now going? I understand from another comment on another article the site was registered by an ( at the time) I.T employee of the WPBC, which means they are already being paid from tax payers money for such work by the WPBC and one presumes also getting money from the Portland precept as well? So are we to presume that this same person whose name still stands as registrant, has in the last 48hrs changed the domain registration to "Portland town council" from WPBC, is the one still administering the site and was previously? Please correct this is it is wrong. If so when do we see at least £250 reimbursed for the 6 months nobody bothered administering the site? In fact please tell us where exactly £500 is going and has been going on that site? I'm damned if i can see £500 worth anywhere, hosting included? Should Heir Munro's "Death Tax" insanely continue forward, perhaps you could donate the £250 to a couple of Portland's most needy elderly, before the new precept kills them.[/p][/quote]as you know David_divenghy2 it has been done in a poor attempt to paper over the cracks or should i say caverns created by all at ptc ! A simple poor showing by a sloppy,greedy parish council who dont shoulder the blame but just shift it to outside sources! perhaps they should hold their meetings up the ghost tunnels or call us mushrooms!! As were always kept in the dark and fed **** !! doyle52
  • Score: 3

1:26am Sun 26 Jan 14

common cence says...

YOUhave dropped a bo..ick Munro it sounds to me you are a bully , WE will see you monday night ,
YOUhave dropped a bo..ick Munro it sounds to me you are a bully , WE will see you monday night , common cence
  • Score: 3

11:25am Sun 26 Jan 14

Foursite says...

Foursite would like to make it clear that he in no way supports violence.I am a peaceful protester who attended the council meeting when this ridiculous precept rise was pushed through.
I quite simply gave my account as to what I witnessed within the chamber.
This paper had the opportunity to do the same but chose not too. If I can help hit the pockets of those who wish to hit ours.then I see this as fair play.Though posts of mine were removed on other forums their businesses may well have been hit and am sure will be from now on,. this only goes to prove how well thought out this hike was.
The violent behavior of other Councillors if true only goes to show how out of touch with the electorate they are and they must be removed.Tim Munro has been proved to be a bully within the chamber and this behavior cannot be tolerated .PTC needs a complete overhaul removed altogether It cannot be right that a family of estate agents can operate within PTC.
A question asked by a member of the public over housing leaves them free to discuss their business within the chamber.The potential of land or property deals, well just don't bear thinking about.
I agree with Munrro on one point,. the council offices should be moved to Easton and accessible to all, to improve democracy on the Island A new building or indeed the old one should have nothing to do with the Munro family. Chill
Foursite would like to make it clear that he in no way supports violence.I am a peaceful protester who attended the council meeting when this ridiculous precept rise was pushed through. I quite simply gave my account as to what I witnessed within the chamber. This paper had the opportunity to do the same but chose not too. If I can help hit the pockets of those who wish to hit ours.then I see this as fair play.Though posts of mine were removed on other forums their businesses may well have been hit and am sure will be from now on,. this only goes to prove how well thought out this hike was. The violent behavior of other Councillors if true only goes to show how out of touch with the electorate they are and they must be removed.Tim Munro has been proved to be a bully within the chamber and this behavior cannot be tolerated .PTC needs a complete overhaul removed altogether It cannot be right that a family of estate agents can operate within PTC. A question asked by a member of the public over housing leaves them free to discuss their business within the chamber.The potential of land or property deals, well just don't bear thinking about. I agree with Munrro on one point,. the council offices should be moved to Easton and accessible to all, to improve democracy on the Island A new building or indeed the old one should have nothing to do with the Munro family. Chill Foursite
  • Score: 5

1:20pm Sun 26 Jan 14

bandit_300 says...

Foursite wrote:
Foursite would like to make it clear that he in no way supports violence.I am a peaceful protester who attended the council meeting when this ridiculous precept rise was pushed through.
I quite simply gave my account as to what I witnessed within the chamber.
This paper had the opportunity to do the same but chose not too. If I can help hit the pockets of those who wish to hit ours.then I see this as fair play.Though posts of mine were removed on other forums their businesses may well have been hit and am sure will be from now on,. this only goes to prove how well thought out this hike was.
The violent behavior of other Councillors if true only goes to show how out of touch with the electorate they are and they must be removed.Tim Munro has been proved to be a bully within the chamber and this behavior cannot be tolerated .PTC needs a complete overhaul removed altogether It cannot be right that a family of estate agents can operate within PTC.
A question asked by a member of the public over housing leaves them free to discuss their business within the chamber.The potential of land or property deals, well just don't bear thinking about.
I agree with Munrro on one point,. the council offices should be moved to Easton and accessible to all, to improve democracy on the Island A new building or indeed the old one should have nothing to do with the Munro family. Chill
That is what Munro wants is the offices to move so they can get on and turn the present building into flats. I say get rid of that horrible man and some of the other silly lot including his fraternity and have a new council in the same building and save us some cash.
[quote][p][bold]Foursite[/bold] wrote: Foursite would like to make it clear that he in no way supports violence.I am a peaceful protester who attended the council meeting when this ridiculous precept rise was pushed through. I quite simply gave my account as to what I witnessed within the chamber. This paper had the opportunity to do the same but chose not too. If I can help hit the pockets of those who wish to hit ours.then I see this as fair play.Though posts of mine were removed on other forums their businesses may well have been hit and am sure will be from now on,. this only goes to prove how well thought out this hike was. The violent behavior of other Councillors if true only goes to show how out of touch with the electorate they are and they must be removed.Tim Munro has been proved to be a bully within the chamber and this behavior cannot be tolerated .PTC needs a complete overhaul removed altogether It cannot be right that a family of estate agents can operate within PTC. A question asked by a member of the public over housing leaves them free to discuss their business within the chamber.The potential of land or property deals, well just don't bear thinking about. I agree with Munrro on one point,. the council offices should be moved to Easton and accessible to all, to improve democracy on the Island A new building or indeed the old one should have nothing to do with the Munro family. Chill[/p][/quote]That is what Munro wants is the offices to move so they can get on and turn the present building into flats. I say get rid of that horrible man and some of the other silly lot including his fraternity and have a new council in the same building and save us some cash. bandit_300
  • Score: 5

4:18pm Sun 26 Jan 14

portlandresident says...

What's the betting Tim doesn't show up due to 'personal reasons', or 'other commitments'?
What's the betting Tim doesn't show up due to 'personal reasons', or 'other commitments'? portlandresident
  • Score: 5

7:18pm Sun 26 Jan 14

Atilla says...

I beleive the Police are going to use any civil unrest to test out their new water cannons!! There is no shortage of ammunition at the moment
I beleive the Police are going to use any civil unrest to test out their new water cannons!! There is no shortage of ammunition at the moment Atilla
  • Score: 2

8:20pm Sun 26 Jan 14

smilealoft44 says...

May i make a few comments with regards Mondays meeting. I assume that most of you making comments about this subject will be attending the meeting.
Even if you do not live on PORTLAND this would be silly if you did not attend, as we need to send a message to the PTC.
Would it be a good idea for the public to meet earlyabout 6.30 and disscuss how we the public should go about the meeting.? Sort out a spokesperson to save a lot of shouting and unrest.
Do we require the PTC just to abolish the rate rise and set a date and agenda to disscus any rate rise (within inflation)
If you agree with this please post a reply on here asap.
The people need to take back the power and get down to earth normal people in power!
May i make a few comments with regards Mondays meeting. I assume that most of you making comments about this subject will be attending the meeting. Even if you do not live on PORTLAND this would be silly if you did not attend, as we need to send a message to the PTC. Would it be a good idea for the public to meet earlyabout 6.30 and disscuss how we the public should go about the meeting.? Sort out a spokesperson to save a lot of shouting and unrest. Do we require the PTC just to abolish the rate rise and set a date and agenda to disscus any rate rise (within inflation) If you agree with this please post a reply on here asap. The people need to take back the power and get down to earth normal people in power! smilealoft44
  • Score: 4

9:39pm Sun 26 Jan 14

portlandresident says...

smilealoft44, your suggestion has already been accommodated. No need to do it separately. The facebook group - https://www.facebook
.com/groups/Portland
againstprecept/ has it all in hand.
smilealoft44, your suggestion has already been accommodated. No need to do it separately. The facebook group - https://www.facebook .com/groups/Portland againstprecept/ has it all in hand. portlandresident
  • Score: 1

9:07am Mon 27 Jan 14

smilealoft44 says...

portlandresident wrote:
smilealoft44, your suggestion has already been accommodated. No need to do it separately. The facebook group - https://www.facebook

.com/groups/Portland

againstprecept/ has it all in hand.
Good i dont have facebook account. Its good to know that a plan is in place.
[quote][p][bold]portlandresident[/bold] wrote: smilealoft44, your suggestion has already been accommodated. No need to do it separately. The facebook group - https://www.facebook .com/groups/Portland againstprecept/ has it all in hand.[/p][/quote]Good i dont have facebook account. Its good to know that a plan is in place. smilealoft44
  • Score: 0

10:20am Mon 27 Jan 14

chisweller says...

Crabber wrote:
common cence wrote:
Calm call for calm CALM to f,,,ing late for calm THEY MUST GO every last one of them ( p t c councillors that is ) the people of portland have been insulted by this family , No doubt with a bit of luck and people standing together it will have a detrimental effect on there business on the island ,,,,, I for one will NEVER use them again ,
Coun Tim Munro, who put forward the proposal to put up the precept, said it was incorrect to say the standing order had been infringed as the mayor could have intervened at the meeting in December but failed to do so.
First of all Munro can you please for the umpteenth time clarify A your place of Birth & B Your Current Residential address for the record
Because yet again you Munro T allegedly bullied both The Mayor & The Town Clerk. Does it make you more of a Man to Bully (A) A 90+ year old well respected member of our Council & Community ? & (B) A very Religious Man who would as the Bible says "Turn the Other Cheek". Or is it as most of s suspect a little short in the Trouser Dept are we? It seems that bullying is the Normal Activity for members of PTC.. Councillor RODNEY WILD decided on Thursday last to go and indirectly verbally abuse the Disabled Lady who was collecting Petition Signatures in Easton, to the extent he was warned THREE times re his demeanor and was informed that if he didn't remove himself the Police would be called.

This comes after an incident at the PTC Offices on Monday night when the Public were excluded from a meeting whereby Councillor RICHARD DENTON-WHITE verbally abuse a lady

and these are the sort of People who are representing the People of The Isle & Royal Manor of Portland, well not me you don't Just a few last words ADOLF HITLER DIED IN 1945 so did most of his bully-boy henchmen
Crabber, let's get it in perspective. All the PTC are responsible, because someone puts forward a motion they can't be blamed if every other councillor agrees them, even if all of us think it's rip off. As for Mr Ames,his, 90+ years doesn't excuse him, if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. He is there to represent the people and I don't think that he would be bullied, he can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds on this. He voted in favour of the precept as did the rest of those present and now they need to apologise and rescind it. The most of our services were lost in 1974 when we amalgamated, Mr Ames voted for that too if I remember rightly. This is too important to just malign one section of the PTC, get 'em all.
[quote][p][bold]Crabber[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]common cence[/bold] wrote: Calm call for calm CALM to f,,,ing late for calm THEY MUST GO every last one of them ( p t c councillors that is ) the people of portland have been insulted by this family , No doubt with a bit of luck and people standing together it will have a detrimental effect on there business on the island ,,,,, I for one will NEVER use them again ,[/p][/quote]Coun Tim Munro, who put forward the proposal to put up the precept, said it was incorrect to say the standing order had been infringed as the mayor could have intervened at the meeting in December but failed to do so. First of all Munro can you please for the umpteenth time clarify A your place of Birth & B Your Current Residential address for the record Because yet again you Munro T allegedly bullied both The Mayor & The Town Clerk. Does it make you more of a Man to Bully (A) A 90+ year old well respected member of our Council & Community ? & (B) A very Religious Man who would as the Bible says "Turn the Other Cheek". Or is it as most of s suspect a little short in the Trouser Dept are we? It seems that bullying is the Normal Activity for members of PTC.. Councillor RODNEY WILD decided on Thursday last to go and indirectly verbally abuse the Disabled Lady who was collecting Petition Signatures in Easton, to the extent he was warned THREE times re his demeanor and was informed that if he didn't remove himself the Police would be called. This comes after an incident at the PTC Offices on Monday night when the Public were excluded from a meeting whereby Councillor RICHARD DENTON-WHITE verbally abuse a lady and these are the sort of People who are representing the People of The Isle & Royal Manor of Portland, well not me you don't Just a few last words ADOLF HITLER DIED IN 1945 so did most of his bully-boy henchmen[/p][/quote]Crabber, let's get it in perspective. All the PTC are responsible, because someone puts forward a motion they can't be blamed if every other councillor agrees them, even if all of us think it's rip off. As for Mr Ames,his, 90+ years doesn't excuse him, if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. He is there to represent the people and I don't think that he would be bullied, he can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds on this. He voted in favour of the precept as did the rest of those present and now they need to apologise and rescind it. The most of our services were lost in 1974 when we amalgamated, Mr Ames voted for that too if I remember rightly. This is too important to just malign one section of the PTC, get 'em all. chisweller
  • Score: 1

11:02am Mon 27 Jan 14

Nomalice says...

I am sure there are lots of reasons for why this precept hike is considered to be WRONG.
The method of it's introduction is questionable, both morally and legally.
The consequences to the decision will be felt ,by the electorate , in many differing ways.
Here is just one little calculation that the better off and especially those responsible for setting tax levels need to consider.

Pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance. =. £200 per annum

Energy Companies Hike (£300 over 3 years). =. £100 per annum
Food Bill increase (on just £50 / week shop). =. £ 50 per annum
Proposed precept increase. =. £. 72 per annum
Hard Winter means serious problems because not everyone will be entitled to or will ask for help with increasing bills.

And, with,year on year,percentage increases,will become an ever-present burden for those least able to afford it.

Regardless of the future of Portland Town Council, the Precept Increase Proposal needs to be reconsidered.

Please, Please THINK AGAIN.
I am sure there are lots of reasons for why this precept hike is considered to be WRONG. The method of it's introduction is questionable, both morally and legally. The consequences to the decision will be felt ,by the electorate , in many differing ways. Here is just one little calculation that the better off and especially those responsible for setting tax levels need to consider. Pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance. =. £200 per annum Energy Companies Hike (£300 over 3 years). =. £100 per annum Food Bill increase (on just £50 / week shop). =. £ 50 per annum Proposed precept increase. =. £. 72 per annum Hard Winter means serious problems because not everyone will be entitled to or will ask for help with increasing bills. And, with,year on year,percentage increases,will become an ever-present burden for those least able to afford it. Regardless of the future of Portland Town Council, the Precept Increase Proposal needs to be reconsidered. Please, Please THINK AGAIN. Nomalice
  • Score: 2

12:49pm Mon 27 Jan 14

David_divenghy2 says...

Nomalice wrote:
I am sure there are lots of reasons for why this precept hike is considered to be WRONG.
The method of it's introduction is questionable, both morally and legally.
The consequences to the decision will be felt ,by the electorate , in many differing ways.
Here is just one little calculation that the better off and especially those responsible for setting tax levels need to consider.

Pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance. =. £200 per annum

Energy Companies Hike (£300 over 3 years). =. £100 per annum
Food Bill increase (on just £50 / week shop). =. £ 50 per annum
Proposed precept increase. =. £. 72 per annum
Hard Winter means serious problems because not everyone will be entitled to or will ask for help with increasing bills.

And, with,year on year,percentage increases,will become an ever-present burden for those least able to afford it.

Regardless of the future of Portland Town Council, the Precept Increase Proposal needs to be reconsidered.

Please, Please THINK AGAIN.
http://postimg.org/i
mage/juqdf12qt/
http://postimg.org/i
mage/al0mvr4k1/

Why when Munro is asked who the hundreds allocated for the long neglected website is being paid to and what exactly that amount is for, does the registration details, "suddenly" change and a temporary page appear?

When will the people see a refund of their tax money for the period the site was neglected? When will they explain what £500 pounds is for on a site and hosting that costs a fraction of that?
[quote][p][bold]Nomalice[/bold] wrote: I am sure there are lots of reasons for why this precept hike is considered to be WRONG. The method of it's introduction is questionable, both morally and legally. The consequences to the decision will be felt ,by the electorate , in many differing ways. Here is just one little calculation that the better off and especially those responsible for setting tax levels need to consider. Pensioners Winter Fuel Allowance. =. £200 per annum Energy Companies Hike (£300 over 3 years). =. £100 per annum Food Bill increase (on just £50 / week shop). =. £ 50 per annum Proposed precept increase. =. £. 72 per annum Hard Winter means serious problems because not everyone will be entitled to or will ask for help with increasing bills. And, with,year on year,percentage increases,will become an ever-present burden for those least able to afford it. Regardless of the future of Portland Town Council, the Precept Increase Proposal needs to be reconsidered. Please, Please THINK AGAIN.[/p][/quote]http://postimg.org/i mage/juqdf12qt/ http://postimg.org/i mage/al0mvr4k1/ Why when Munro is asked who the hundreds allocated for the long neglected website is being paid to and what exactly that amount is for, does the registration details, "suddenly" change and a temporary page appear? When will the people see a refund of their tax money for the period the site was neglected? When will they explain what £500 pounds is for on a site and hosting that costs a fraction of that? David_divenghy2
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree