Debate over council tax support

Debate over council tax support

The Guildhall, St Edmund Street

Councillor Rachel Rogers

First published in News Dorset Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

COUNCILLORS have locked horns over a meeting decision regarding Localised Council Tax.

A full council meeting by Weymouth and Portland Borough Council at the Guildhall in Weymouth outlined matters for decision including the Localised Council Tax Support scheme referred from the management committee.

From April 1 last year, the government abolished the national Council Tax Benefit scheme and instead, councils were asked to develop their own schemes, known as Local Council Tax Support.

At the meeting, it was agreed that the borough council should adopt scheme B in its Local Council Tax Support Scheme for 2014 to 2015.

The scheme limits the council’s contribution to 91.5 per cent of the council tax liability, meaning those who were previously eligible for 100 per cent Council Tax Benefit are required to pay the remaining contribution of 8.5 per cent of their council tax bill.

Various councillors argued to amend the tax proposal to the council’s Scheme A, which would mean those suffering financially did not have to contribute towards council tax payment.

Full council voted against the amendment to Scheme A, with a recorded vote of 18 councillors to 13 in favour of Scheme B – the 8.5 per cent council tax bill contribution by the public.

In council notes, members were advised that Scheme B had already been incorporated into the 2014 to 2015 council budget.

Coun Rachel Rogers requested to amend the proposal to Scheme A ‘to protect the most vulnerable residents of Weymouth and Portland’.

“Those who were previously eligible for 100 per cent Council Tax Benefit are the poorest in our society,” she said.

“The 8.5 per cent council tax is money those suffering simply do not have, and being unable to make the payments would be likely to push them into debt.”

Coun Paul Kimber said that in areas such as Underhill, Littlemoor and Westham the reality is that every other family is struggling financially.

He called for the council tax scheme to look closer into how to serve the worst off in the community.

Coun Peter Chapman, borough council briefholder for Finance and Assets, supported the 8.5 per cent tax contribution and said that he doesn’t yet know what the impact of the current scheme is locally.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:58pm Fri 31 Jan 14

navelgazer says...

"Coun Peter Chapman, borough council briefholder for Finance and Assets, supported the 8.5 per cent tax contribution and said that he doesn’t yet know what the impact of the current scheme is locally."

But he voted for it despite not bothering to find out what the local impact would be. Not much use as a representative, then.
"Coun Peter Chapman, borough council briefholder for Finance and Assets, supported the 8.5 per cent tax contribution and said that he doesn’t yet know what the impact of the current scheme is locally." But he voted for it despite not bothering to find out what the local impact would be. Not much use as a representative, then. navelgazer
  • Score: 5

5:03pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Tinker2 says...

navelgazer wrote:
"Coun Peter Chapman, borough council briefholder for Finance and Assets, supported the 8.5 per cent tax contribution and said that he doesn’t yet know what the impact of the current scheme is locally." But he voted for it despite not bothering to find out what the local impact would be. Not much use as a representative, then.
They really are a lot of blundering fools who have little knowledge and grasp of matters on which they are supposed to make informed decisions. It is no wonder that the Officers can lead them by the nose in any direction they want.
Abolish the WPBC and tell the Councillors to find another 'hobby'!
[quote][p][bold]navelgazer[/bold] wrote: "Coun Peter Chapman, borough council briefholder for Finance and Assets, supported the 8.5 per cent tax contribution and said that he doesn’t yet know what the impact of the current scheme is locally." But he voted for it despite not bothering to find out what the local impact would be. Not much use as a representative, then.[/p][/quote]They really are a lot of blundering fools who have little knowledge and grasp of matters on which they are supposed to make informed decisions. It is no wonder that the Officers can lead them by the nose in any direction they want. Abolish the WPBC and tell the Councillors to find another 'hobby'! Tinker2
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree