NEXT weekend’s quad bike extravaganza on Weymouth beach has been cancelled because of the bad weather.
Dickies Quad Beach Cross had hoped to build on the great success of the first event held in February last year.
This all-action motoring event promised to attract big crowds and generate a real boost to the trade throughout the area during the traditional off-peak season.
However, a spokesman said they had been forced to cancel over concern for the safety of competitors, trade exhibitors and spectators, with potential wind damage to the temporary structures required for the event including trade stands, security fencing and signage.
He said: “We have duty of care to the public and want them to enjoy the fantastic spectacle of our sport – but more importantly be safe.
“The storms that Weymouth has already endured has caused significant damage to the beach and moved high volumes of sand to one end of the beach, this would also cause severe restrictions with the course build.
“We have been able to confirm a rearranged date with the council and the event will now run on November 15 and 16.
“We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused and on a positive note we are looking forward to November.”