When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
West Dorset vet warns dog owners of deadly disease
11:00am Monday 24th February 2014 in News
A WEST Dorset vet is warning dog owners after a case of deadly Alabama Rot was confirmed in Dorset.
The team at Girling and Bowditch in Beaminster treated Lottie the Labrador for the potentially fatal disease and luckily she pulled through.
It is not yet known how the disease is spread, but it is believed to be as the result of exposure to a specific toxin which is present in the environment.
Vet Terry Girling said: “Dogs can suffer from ulcers to their legs for a variety of reasons.
“With Alabama Rot it is an early symptom and is caused by a toxin in the blood rather than by an obvious injury.
“Lottie’s health began to decline rapidly as the toxin began to affect her whole body. “She was hospitalised for an intensive intravenous treatment programme which continued for five days.”
Over the past year there have been cases of Alabama Rot reported in Dorset and Hampshire, including a number in the New Forest.
Girling and Bowditch is advising owners to contact their vet if they have concerns or if their dog is showing open sores or ulcers on their legs with no obvious signs of injury or signs of illness such as vomiting, reduced appetite, and lethargy.
Comments are closed on this article.