Report this comment
  • "
    topsy2 wrote:
    As a Portlander now resident in the North of England for several years, I find it sad that the helicopter will eventually be withdrawn. It has real value in its current location and I suspect this will only be fully realised once it has gone and something disastrous happens, what a huge mistake it will have been to get rid of it. Talking of helipcopters, I can't help thinking back growing up in the 1970's listening to the Naval helicopters, the Wasps and the Sea Kings flying all hours of the night and the old Wessex helicopters carrying out search and rescue duties. Sad so much has gone. So called progress and cost cutting apparently.
    I agree entirely topsy2, its all so sad but it seems things will only get worse unless people realise that continuing to vote for the 3 major parties is just sending our country further & further down the sinkhole. Its long due time for a radical change in the way Britain is governed."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.

  • Enter the above word in the box below

UPDATE: Calls to save Portland coastguard helicopter after digger rescue

First published in News
Last updated

FRESH calls have been made to save the Portland coastguard helicopter after it was 'instrumental' in the rescue of a workman who plunged in to the sea on a digger.

The helicopter was scrambled to Crown Wharf, Castletown, Portland on Saturday (MAR 1) afternoon after the digger toppled over a 20ft wall and in to the water, landing on top of its driver.

The injured man was winched to safety by the helicopter and airlifted to Southampton General Hospital, suffering from serious but not life-threatening injuries.

It is believed the man, who has not been named, suffered a broken collarbone and broken leg in the incident.

But witnesses have said they 'dread to think' what could have happened had the Portland chopper not been on hand.

Paul Dawson of Castletown Stores, near to where the incident happened, said: “All I saw was this rush of emergency vehicles outside the store.

“We are dealing with a rising tide here and the man was incredibly lucky the coastguard helicopter got to the area as quickly as it did.

“I believe it was instrumental in his rescue.”

As reported in the Echo, the Portland coastguard helicopter base is due to close in 2017.

A petition of more than 100,000 signatures was handed to parliament last month demanding that the Government reverse its decision.

If the Portland base is axed, emergencies in Dorset will be attended by helicopters from Lee-on-Solent, Hampshire or Culdrose, Cornwall.

The Department for Transport has said modern helicopters operating from fewer bases will provide a better service.

But this has been rubbished by campaigners who call the closure of the Portland base 'nothing more than a money saving exercise.'

Borough councillor for the area Sandy West said the incident on Saturday 'highlights why we must keep fighting to save the Portland helicopter.'

She added: “I am so thankful the helicopter was there, it doesn't bear thinking about what could have happened.

“It would have taken the Lee-on-Solent helicopter up to about 40 minutes to get to the incident- and that's if it had even been available.

“You can't imagine what could have happened.

“It's not only the injured man who has been rescued but the people who would have probably tried to dive in and help him if they knew the helicopter had been so far away.

“It's at least one life saved.

“And it's not just the effect on the injured man- it's the effect on his family and the community had the situation been worse.

“We have got to do everything we can to keep the helicopter on Portland.

“The closure is nothing more than a money saving exercise, and at what price?”

Firefighters, paramedics and police officers rushed to the incident, which happened at around 3.30pm.

A Dorset Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “Portland, Weymouth and a technical rescue team from Poole went to Crown Wharf where a digger had fallen off a 20 ft wall onto a casualty.

“The crews carried out casualty care and assisted the paramedics and the ambulance.

“The casualty was put on a stretcher and winched to safety by the coastguard helicopter. He was then transported to hospital.”

Pro-Dem, the firm involved, said it was assessing the situation and did not wish to comment.

A spokesman for the coastguard said: “The helicopter was tasked as it was so close to the scene and we have got paramedics onboard.

“We were able to very quickly pick the casualty up and airlift him straight off to the hospital.

“It was a swift rescue for us because we were so close to the scene.”

The injured man's work colleagues told the Echo that he was 'very lucky' not to have been more seriously injured.

Comments (67)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree