A MAN is fighting for his life in hospital after being engulfed in flames.

Dorset Police, the ambulance service and Dorset Fire and Rescue were called to Bowleaze Coveway at 7.15am on Friday after a man was discovered on the grass area close to the Lookout Café.

It is believed the man, who has not been named, drove to area early in the morning.

A South West Ambulance Trust spokesman said the service received reports of a man suffering  burns over his entire body.

A police spokesperson said: “Officers attended the scene and found a man with burn injuries.

“He was taken to Dorset County Hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries by the ambulance service.

“There are no suspicious circumstances.”

A spokesman said the man continued to be treated in hospital today (Saturday).

Dorset Police said that a black Citroen C2 registered to the man was recovered at the scene, from the bottom of a slight slope.

When police and ambulance services arrived at the scene they said they found the man on the ground outside the car.

Tyre tracks and burnt debris could also be seen on the grass nearby.

A spokesman for the police said: “It’s not believed he sustained his injuries from a road traffic collision.”

Karen Messenger and Lucy Mitchell from the Lookout Café told of their shock after seeing Dorset police recover a vehicle from the grass nearby.

Karen added: “There was a police car here when I arrived at the cafe about 9.30am.

“My boss heard that a black car went over the edge of the slope nearby.”

Lucy said: “At about 10.30am a crowd of people were gathered by the grass outside; customers here have been so shocked by what has happened.”

A Bowleaze Coveway resident, who did not wish to be named, said he saw a flurry of ambulances, police cars and a fire engine rush past about 7.30am – and was shocked to hear that a man had been discovered with severe burns.

Resident Josephine Powell added: “Things like this never happen around here so I’m so surprised.”

Tannis Summerscales from Pogles Wood Florists on Preston Road added that she arrived at the shop at 8am, and said the incident was ‘incredibly out of the ordinary’ for the area.