Bonfire causes barn blaze

Dorset Echo: Bonfire causes barn blaze Bonfire causes barn blaze

A BONFIRE caused a barn to catch fire in Abbotsbury.

Two fire engines from Weymouth were called to the blaze last night in West Street just after 9pm.

The beams and tiles of the barn had caught fire, which firefighters said was due to a bonfire setting alight the timber roof joists and had been smouldering for a couple of days.

A spokesman for Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said: “We would like to remind people that they should take extra care when having a bonfire.  The bonfire should not be situated near to any buildings or any other flammable items.  Someone should be with it at all times, with the necessary tools to extinguish the fire are present which can be used if necessary.”

Anyone who is lighting a bonfire is also asked to call 01305 753166 so the service is aware it is taking place.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree