A CLIMBER is recovering from a suspected broken rib after falling from a cliff.

A member of the public called 999 at Anvil Point Lighthouse on Sunday at around 12.13pm after noting the climber was in trouble on a Purbeck cliff.

The climbers had requested an ambulance but no further information was provided.

The Coastguard Helicopter Rescue 106 was sent to the scene in view of the cliff’s 35m height. Swanage RNLI Lifeboat was also launched with a Swanage Coastguard Rescue Team tasked.

Upon finding the climber, it was agreed he was unable to climb back up the cliff.

The Coastguard Helicopter Rescue 106 airlifted the male climber to the Poole HLS to be met by Poole Coastguard Rescue Officers and an ambulance to then be taken to Poole Hospital.

Swanage Coastguards monitored a further three climbers until they were safely at the top of the cliff.

Meanwhile, Lyme Regis Coastguard Rescue Officers were quick to react to a report of a male under Stone Barrow, near Lyme Regis, who was at risk of being cut off by the tide.

Coastguards were alerted at around 4.32pm and escorted him back to safety just in time. The man was very grateful and unaware of his danger.

Earlier in the afternoon, officers from Lyme Regis Coastguard Rescue Team attended Charmouth after reports of people climbing onto a landslip.

Coastguards were alerted at around 3.22pm. The Rescue Team attended and offered safety advice.

Portland Coastguard were requested minutes later by South West Ambulance to help with the evacuation of a member of the public.

Coastguards were alerted at around 3.39pm to remove the member of the public, who had breathing difficulties, from the Durdle Door area.

Officers from Lulworth Coastguard Rescue Team attended.

Elsewhere, a concerned member of the public reported a kite surfer who had been stationary in the water for some time.

Southbourne Coastguard Rescue Officers were diverted from their routine patrol at around 11.44am and Mudeford RNLI Lifeboat were alerted.

A local council patrol boat was also in the area and attended.

The kite surfer made it back to shore unaided and confirmed that he had suffered gear problems. No medical attention was required.

Meanwhile, a 10m sailing yacht had to be towed into Swanage Bay after suffering engine failure.

The yacht, named Blue Wolf, called Portland Coastguard to report the incident 16 nautical miles south off St Alban’s Head.

Swanage Lifeboat towed the yacht at around 1.25pm before onward passage into Poole Harbour was undertaken by Seastart.

A 32ft Sunseeker Dreamer 2 faced similar problems later on in the day.

Those on board called Portland Coastguard at around 8.34pm to report they had broken down to the east of Old Harry, Swanage Bay.

The vessel Sandpiper responded to a call for assistance from Portland Coastguard and towed the vessel into Swanage.

Portland Bill Coastguard Rescue Officers also investigated reports of a small vessel struggling against the tide off the east side of Portland Bill.

Rescue Officers attended the scene at around 7.46pm and found that the vessel was fishing and not in any distress.

Portland Coastguard Rescue Helicopter was called into action later in the day to assist in the transfer of a 61-year-old woman who was injured after falling from a horse.

She was taken from Wincanton, Somerset to Southampton General Hospital at around 8.20pm.