UPDATE: Fresh look at Condor as radical change promised by new Labour leader in Weymouth and Portland

Dorset Echo: New Labour leader promises radical change in Weymouth and Portland New Labour leader promises radical change in Weymouth and Portland

WEYMOUTH and Portland’s largest council group will take a ‘fresh look’ at the Condor Ferries saga and re-examine whether the island can be a base for some authority workers.

The Labour group, which now dominates Weymouth and Portland Borough Council after success in last week’s elections, has promised ‘radical change’ to make the borough thrive again.

New group leader Mike Byatt, who will soon take his seat as chairman of the management committee and effectively become leader of the council, was being guarded on what exactly those changes will be.

But he said the ‘strategic priorities’ included the harbour, negotiations with Condor Ferries, the development of North Quay council offices and a town centre masterplan.

Portland should be investigated further to see if it can offer suitable accommodation for council staff transferring out of North Quay, Cllr Byatt said.

Condor Ferries’ future in Weymouth is uncertain because of new infrastructure demands to accommodate a super-ferry. It will cost the council about £10m to refurbish a suitable berth.

A meeting between council chiefs and a government minister last week failed to secure funding.

Cllr Byatt said: “We need to come to a conclusion on the best way forward.

“We need to have a fresh look at it.

“The Labour group needs to be clear what the options are. There are issues about securing finances and what Condor’s needs are.

“It’s in everyone’s interest to get the best possible outcome and I’m not going to make any presumptions.

“I’m open minded as to what the best solution is.”

Cllr Byatt also said it was vital to attract investment into the town centre to boost the retail sector.

He added: “We need to come up with a deliverable plan. We should look at lessons learnt elsewhere and think about what kind of shape the town needs to be in.”

Regarding the council’s relocation from North Quay, Cllr Byatt said the group were concerned about the loss of jobs from the borough.

Many council staff look set to transfer to Dorchester while others will go to offices at Chickerell and a handful will stay in the town centre.

Cllr Byatt said the group weren’t looking to reverse those decisions but he said there should be a further review to see if any council-owned sites on Portland can offer anything.

Labour gained three seats and defended a further two in the elections, making it the largest party on the council with 15 seats, ahead of the Conservatives with 11 seats.

Comments (44)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:50am Wed 28 May 14

Nomalice says...

sberth wrote:
What's that then, a shave and haircut?
Oh please get your priorities sorted
Comment for the sake of it, or what?
[quote][p][bold]sberth[/bold] wrote: What's that then, a shave and haircut?[/p][/quote]Oh please get your priorities sorted Comment for the sake of it, or what? Nomalice
  • Score: -9

12:18pm Wed 28 May 14

koeterwaals says...

Nomalice wrote:
sberth wrote:
What's that then, a shave and haircut?
Oh please get your priorities sorted
Comment for the sake of it, or what?
Actually I think it is a very valid point.
The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp.
[quote][p][bold]Nomalice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sberth[/bold] wrote: What's that then, a shave and haircut?[/p][/quote]Oh please get your priorities sorted Comment for the sake of it, or what?[/p][/quote]Actually I think it is a very valid point. The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp. koeterwaals
  • Score: 18

12:21pm Wed 28 May 14

elloello1980 says...

koeterwaals wrote:
Nomalice wrote:
sberth wrote:
What's that then, a shave and haircut?
Oh please get your priorities sorted
Comment for the sake of it, or what?
Actually I think it is a very valid point.
The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp.
look more professional?

Such a narrow minded view in this day and age.

You have the X factor - mentality. judging those on looks over their work
[quote][p][bold]koeterwaals[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nomalice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sberth[/bold] wrote: What's that then, a shave and haircut?[/p][/quote]Oh please get your priorities sorted Comment for the sake of it, or what?[/p][/quote]Actually I think it is a very valid point. The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp.[/p][/quote]look more professional? Such a narrow minded view in this day and age. You have the X factor - mentality. judging those on looks over their work elloello1980
  • Score: -20

12:21pm Wed 28 May 14

IDONTKNOWIFITISTRRUE says...

koeterwaals says...The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp.
I have seen smarter tramps - has the man got no self-respect?
With his allowances, he ought to be able to afford to visit a local barber.
koeterwaals says...The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp. I have seen smarter tramps - has the man got no self-respect? With his allowances, he ought to be able to afford to visit a local barber. IDONTKNOWIFITISTRRUE
  • Score: 15

12:31pm Wed 28 May 14

Get a grip says...

I do not care what he looks like as long as he makes the improvements he promises
I do not care what he looks like as long as he makes the improvements he promises Get a grip
  • Score: 1

1:44pm Wed 28 May 14

shy talk says...

Will seems the Town Centre Plan has started. Planning permission has been submitted to convert Weymouth’s former post office to a restaurant.

Ref: WP/14/00349/FUL.
Will seems the Town Centre Plan has started. Planning permission has been submitted to convert Weymouth’s former post office to a restaurant. Ref: WP/14/00349/FUL. shy talk
  • Score: 3

2:13pm Wed 28 May 14

Get a grip says...

shy talk wrote:
Will seems the Town Centre Plan has started. Planning permission has been submitted to convert Weymouth’s former post office to a restaurant. Ref: WP/14/00349/FUL.
This has been kicking around for a long time.

I was told it was Burger King.
[quote][p][bold]shy talk[/bold] wrote: Will seems the Town Centre Plan has started. Planning permission has been submitted to convert Weymouth’s former post office to a restaurant. Ref: WP/14/00349/FUL.[/p][/quote]This has been kicking around for a long time. I was told it was Burger King. Get a grip
  • Score: 3

2:26pm Wed 28 May 14

JamesYoung says...

Get a grip wrote:
I do not care what he looks like as long as he makes the improvements he promises
Which he won't.
Because he is a councillor.
A Labour one at that.
[quote][p][bold]Get a grip[/bold] wrote: I do not care what he looks like as long as he makes the improvements he promises[/p][/quote]Which he won't. Because he is a councillor. A Labour one at that. JamesYoung
  • Score: 6

2:31pm Wed 28 May 14

cosmick says...

koeterwaals wrote:
Nomalice wrote:
sberth wrote:
What's that then, a shave and haircut?
Oh please get your priorities sorted
Comment for the sake of it, or what?
Actually I think it is a very valid point.
The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp.
I tink he looks ok, lets see if he make things better in W/P no point slating him until he gets it wong.
[quote][p][bold]koeterwaals[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nomalice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sberth[/bold] wrote: What's that then, a shave and haircut?[/p][/quote]Oh please get your priorities sorted Comment for the sake of it, or what?[/p][/quote]Actually I think it is a very valid point. The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp.[/p][/quote]I tink he looks ok, lets see if he make things better in W/P no point slating him until he gets it wong. cosmick
  • Score: 0

2:38pm Wed 28 May 14

elloello1980 says...

putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy elloello1980
  • Score: -6

2:40pm Wed 28 May 14

JamesYoung says...

elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
[quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!) JamesYoung
  • Score: 13

2:43pm Wed 28 May 14

shy talk says...

Get a grip wrote:
shy talk wrote:
Will seems the Town Centre Plan has started. Planning permission has been submitted to convert Weymouth’s former post office to a restaurant. Ref: WP/14/00349/FUL.
This has been kicking around for a long time.

I was told it was Burger King.
Not Burger King. I was told Burka King !!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Get a grip[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shy talk[/bold] wrote: Will seems the Town Centre Plan has started. Planning permission has been submitted to convert Weymouth’s former post office to a restaurant. Ref: WP/14/00349/FUL.[/p][/quote]This has been kicking around for a long time. I was told it was Burger King.[/p][/quote]Not Burger King. I was told Burka King !!!!! shy talk
  • Score: 3

3:06pm Wed 28 May 14

CaughtJester says...

JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like.

WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.
[quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)[/p][/quote]If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like. WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change. CaughtJester
  • Score: 14

3:12pm Wed 28 May 14

WykeReg says...

Cllr. Byatt may have radical plans for this, that and the other thing. However, Labour doesn't have an overall majority in the council. The chances that he can steamroller anything through are pretty slim. And then there's the ultimate constraint of the budget - not that socialists ever feel constrained by such a trivial thing.

So, Mr. Byatt, the wisest words I can offer you are: "Under-promise and over-deliver." Doing the reverse leads to egg-on-face time.
Cllr. Byatt may have radical plans for this, that and the other thing. However, Labour doesn't have an overall majority in the council. The chances that he can steamroller anything through are pretty slim. And then there's the ultimate constraint of the budget - not that socialists ever feel constrained by such a trivial thing. So, Mr. Byatt, the wisest words I can offer you are: "Under-promise and over-deliver." Doing the reverse leads to egg-on-face time. WykeReg
  • Score: 5

3:12pm Wed 28 May 14

JamesYoung says...

CaughtJester wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like.

WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.
If.
I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.
[quote][p][bold]CaughtJester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)[/p][/quote]If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like. WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.[/p][/quote]If. I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country. JamesYoung
  • Score: 10

4:42pm Wed 28 May 14

elloello1980 says...

JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
can you see what he's wearing then?

'should' men not have beards nor long hair?

the song "Little boxes" comes to mind:

"And the people in the houses
All went to the university,
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and lawyers,
And business executives,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same."
[quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)[/p][/quote]can you see what he's wearing then? 'should' men not have beards nor long hair? the song "Little boxes" comes to mind: "And the people in the houses All went to the university, Where they were put in boxes And they came out all the same, And there's doctors and lawyers, And business executives, And they're all made out of ticky tacky And they all look just the same." elloello1980
  • Score: -15

4:43pm Wed 28 May 14

elloello1980 says...

JamesYoung wrote:
CaughtJester wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like.

WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.
If.
I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.
and what have you done? apart from spend a day on the echo website
[quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CaughtJester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)[/p][/quote]If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like. WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.[/p][/quote]If. I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.[/p][/quote]and what have you done? apart from spend a day on the echo website elloello1980
  • Score: -12

5:19pm Wed 28 May 14

Get a grip says...

For a very long time many of us have complained because nothing is done, at last someone is prepared to have a go and what happens he gets a slagging


At the top of my list would be a good look at the property department

But it may be that the trouble starts higher up.
For a very long time many of us have complained because nothing is done, at last someone is prepared to have a go and what happens he gets a slagging At the top of my list would be a good look at the property department But it may be that the trouble starts higher up. Get a grip
  • Score: 3

5:31pm Wed 28 May 14

Genghis says...

Like I've said before, I don't care about promises, no matter what party they come from. The cynic in me says that we've heard it all before..So councillors of all the parties on W&PBC, prove all of us cynics wrong. Please!
Like I've said before, I don't care about promises, no matter what party they come from. The cynic in me says that we've heard it all before..So councillors of all the parties on W&PBC, prove all of us cynics wrong. Please! Genghis
  • Score: 12

6:43pm Wed 28 May 14

Maximum70 says...

Is it part of labours plan to apologise to cllr Ryan hope for the disgusting way they attacked him at what must have been an extremely stressful time in his life, without the underhand tactics of labour that had him down as guilty before innocent? Or would it be easier & less humiliating just to change the right in W&P chambers to innocent until proved guilty !
Is it part of labours plan to apologise to cllr Ryan hope for the disgusting way they attacked him at what must have been an extremely stressful time in his life, without the underhand tactics of labour that had him down as guilty before innocent? Or would it be easier & less humiliating just to change the right in W&P chambers to innocent until proved guilty ! Maximum70
  • Score: 9

6:47pm Wed 28 May 14

Dorset Guy1 says...

I think people need to be less critical of any councillors looks it is irrelevant However the people of W & P need to remember they are in a partnership now with WDDC
I think people need to be less critical of any councillors looks it is irrelevant However the people of W & P need to remember they are in a partnership now with WDDC Dorset Guy1
  • Score: -17

7:05pm Wed 28 May 14

tedbungy says...

Maximum70 wrote:
Is it part of labours plan to apologise to cllr Ryan hope for the disgusting way they attacked him at what must have been an extremely stressful time in his life, without the underhand tactics of labour that had him down as guilty before innocent? Or would it be easier & less humiliating just to change the right in W&P chambers to innocent until proved guilty !
I second that. I have been a life long Labour supporter. The Labour Party was for the down troden, the weak and in need. The way they attacked Mr Hope for political gain was horible and I for one will find it hard to put my X for any Labour candidate. So well done local labour group
[quote][p][bold]Maximum70[/bold] wrote: Is it part of labours plan to apologise to cllr Ryan hope for the disgusting way they attacked him at what must have been an extremely stressful time in his life, without the underhand tactics of labour that had him down as guilty before innocent? Or would it be easier & less humiliating just to change the right in W&P chambers to innocent until proved guilty ![/p][/quote]I second that. I have been a life long Labour supporter. The Labour Party was for the down troden, the weak and in need. The way they attacked Mr Hope for political gain was horible and I for one will find it hard to put my X for any Labour candidate. So well done local labour group tedbungy
  • Score: 6

7:40pm Wed 28 May 14

JamesYoung says...

elloello1980 wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
CaughtJester wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like.

WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.
If.
I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.
and what have you done? apart from spend a day on the echo website
At the moment, nothing, because i have to work in London, thanks to a misguided economic policy that ruined the country delivered by several successive governments.
However, prior to that, i was a volunteer director of a local housing association, drove a minibus for two local charities and treasurer for another. Going back further i was the branch chair for Fair Oak and Horton Heath Conservatives.
This idea that you cannot criticise unless you have stood as a councillor is nonsense. The system is cleverly designed to ensure that (unless you work in the public sector) you cannot operate as a councillor while holding down a job. Which in turn means that the choice of councillors is limited.
[quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CaughtJester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)[/p][/quote]If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like. WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.[/p][/quote]If. I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.[/p][/quote]and what have you done? apart from spend a day on the echo website[/p][/quote]At the moment, nothing, because i have to work in London, thanks to a misguided economic policy that ruined the country delivered by several successive governments. However, prior to that, i was a volunteer director of a local housing association, drove a minibus for two local charities and treasurer for another. Going back further i was the branch chair for Fair Oak and Horton Heath Conservatives. This idea that you cannot criticise unless you have stood as a councillor is nonsense. The system is cleverly designed to ensure that (unless you work in the public sector) you cannot operate as a councillor while holding down a job. Which in turn means that the choice of councillors is limited. JamesYoung
  • Score: 12

8:06pm Wed 28 May 14

CaughtJester says...

tedbungy wrote:
Maximum70 wrote:
Is it part of labours plan to apologise to cllr Ryan hope for the disgusting way they attacked him at what must have been an extremely stressful time in his life, without the underhand tactics of labour that had him down as guilty before innocent? Or would it be easier & less humiliating just to change the right in W&P chambers to innocent until proved guilty !
I second that. I have been a life long Labour supporter. The Labour Party was for the down troden, the weak and in need. The way they attacked Mr Hope for political gain was horible and I for one will find it hard to put my X for any Labour candidate. So well done local labour group
You mean by pointing out that someone facing serious charges ought to step back from their responsibilities (as would be expected of someone in a position of similar authority, such as a policeman or teacher) pending the outcome of their trial? Advice that was in fact supplied by his own Party but ignored by local Councillors?

I don't believe there was ever a suggestion or implication of guilt, or indeed an attack against Cllr Hope, by any other political party or member of the Council. If you are able to prove otherwise, I would be interested to see the evidence.

His Liberal Democrat colleagues owed Cllr Hope a duty of care, which they did not provide, hence the resulting media furore. For that I hope they have apologised.
[quote][p][bold]tedbungy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maximum70[/bold] wrote: Is it part of labours plan to apologise to cllr Ryan hope for the disgusting way they attacked him at what must have been an extremely stressful time in his life, without the underhand tactics of labour that had him down as guilty before innocent? Or would it be easier & less humiliating just to change the right in W&P chambers to innocent until proved guilty ![/p][/quote]I second that. I have been a life long Labour supporter. The Labour Party was for the down troden, the weak and in need. The way they attacked Mr Hope for political gain was horible and I for one will find it hard to put my X for any Labour candidate. So well done local labour group[/p][/quote]You mean by pointing out that someone facing serious charges ought to step back from their responsibilities (as would be expected of someone in a position of similar authority, such as a policeman or teacher) pending the outcome of their trial? Advice that was in fact supplied by his own Party but ignored by local Councillors? I don't believe there was ever a suggestion or implication of guilt, or indeed an attack against Cllr Hope, by any other political party or member of the Council. If you are able to prove otherwise, I would be interested to see the evidence. His Liberal Democrat colleagues owed Cllr Hope a duty of care, which they did not provide, hence the resulting media furore. For that I hope they have apologised. CaughtJester
  • Score: -2

9:10pm Wed 28 May 14

MrTomSmith says...

Reading the update its like you would think they had full power or something! They (labour) have the most seats, but it most NOTHING if you haven't got a majority absolutely nothing! Instead of getting all high and mighty we are going to check this and do that, they would be better making a few friends first!
Reading the update its like you would think they had full power or something! They (labour) have the most seats, but it most NOTHING if you haven't got a majority absolutely nothing! Instead of getting all high and mighty we are going to check this and do that, they would be better making a few friends first! MrTomSmith
  • Score: -2

7:37am Thu 29 May 14

Rocksalt says...

JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
CaughtJester wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like.

WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.
If.
I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.
and what have you done? apart from spend a day on the echo website
At the moment, nothing, because i have to work in London, thanks to a misguided economic policy that ruined the country delivered by several successive governments.
However, prior to that, i was a volunteer director of a local housing association, drove a minibus for two local charities and treasurer for another. Going back further i was the branch chair for Fair Oak and Horton Heath Conservatives.
This idea that you cannot criticise unless you have stood as a councillor is nonsense. The system is cleverly designed to ensure that (unless you work in the public sector) you cannot operate as a councillor while holding down a job. Which in turn means that the choice of councillors is limited.
Your last point is incorrect. People with private sector jobs and/self employed people can and do become councillors.
[quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CaughtJester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)[/p][/quote]If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like. WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.[/p][/quote]If. I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.[/p][/quote]and what have you done? apart from spend a day on the echo website[/p][/quote]At the moment, nothing, because i have to work in London, thanks to a misguided economic policy that ruined the country delivered by several successive governments. However, prior to that, i was a volunteer director of a local housing association, drove a minibus for two local charities and treasurer for another. Going back further i was the branch chair for Fair Oak and Horton Heath Conservatives. This idea that you cannot criticise unless you have stood as a councillor is nonsense. The system is cleverly designed to ensure that (unless you work in the public sector) you cannot operate as a councillor while holding down a job. Which in turn means that the choice of councillors is limited.[/p][/quote]Your last point is incorrect. People with private sector jobs and/self employed people can and do become councillors. Rocksalt
  • Score: -4

8:41am Thu 29 May 14

PHonnor says...

I for one think its about time some fresh ideas were looked at for the borough, a bit of forward thinking and not just figher fighting as the next bomb landed, there is reason why Labour now have a majority after all, people wanted fresh faces and ideas and now they have them.
I for one think its about time some fresh ideas were looked at for the borough, a bit of forward thinking and not just figher fighting as the next bomb landed, there is reason why Labour now have a majority after all, people wanted fresh faces and ideas and now they have them. PHonnor
  • Score: -1

8:42am Thu 29 May 14

PHonnor says...

PHonnor wrote:
I for one think its about time some fresh ideas were looked at for the borough, a bit of forward thinking and not just figher fighting as the next bomb landed, there is reason why Labour now have a majority after all, people wanted fresh faces and ideas and now they have them.
Fire even!
[quote][p][bold]PHonnor[/bold] wrote: I for one think its about time some fresh ideas were looked at for the borough, a bit of forward thinking and not just figher fighting as the next bomb landed, there is reason why Labour now have a majority after all, people wanted fresh faces and ideas and now they have them.[/p][/quote]Fire even! PHonnor
  • Score: 3

9:02am Thu 29 May 14

CaughtJester says...

PHonnor wrote:
I for one think its about time some fresh ideas were looked at for the borough, a bit of forward thinking and not just figher fighting as the next bomb landed, there is reason why Labour now have a majority after all, people wanted fresh faces and ideas and now they have them.
Precisely. I have always been a floating voter but having received and read that pamphlet they put out about their vision for the town, I didn't feel I could give my vote to anyone else.

Sure, it didn't go far enough and was lacking in some areas, and I've questions about just how they'll deliver on some of the things they have promised but I'd rather vote FOR something tangible than a promise of 'cheaper and better services' (whatever that means), which is all the Tories offered.
[quote][p][bold]PHonnor[/bold] wrote: I for one think its about time some fresh ideas were looked at for the borough, a bit of forward thinking and not just figher fighting as the next bomb landed, there is reason why Labour now have a majority after all, people wanted fresh faces and ideas and now they have them.[/p][/quote]Precisely. I have always been a floating voter but having received and read that pamphlet they put out about their vision for the town, I didn't feel I could give my vote to anyone else. Sure, it didn't go far enough and was lacking in some areas, and I've questions about just how they'll deliver on some of the things they have promised but I'd rather vote FOR something tangible than a promise of 'cheaper and better services' (whatever that means), which is all the Tories offered. CaughtJester
  • Score: 14

12:39pm Thu 29 May 14

JamesYoung says...

Rocksalt wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
CaughtJester wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like.

WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.
If.
I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.
and what have you done? apart from spend a day on the echo website
At the moment, nothing, because i have to work in London, thanks to a misguided economic policy that ruined the country delivered by several successive governments.
However, prior to that, i was a volunteer director of a local housing association, drove a minibus for two local charities and treasurer for another. Going back further i was the branch chair for Fair Oak and Horton Heath Conservatives.
This idea that you cannot criticise unless you have stood as a councillor is nonsense. The system is cleverly designed to ensure that (unless you work in the public sector) you cannot operate as a councillor while holding down a job. Which in turn means that the choice of councillors is limited.
Your last point is incorrect. People with private sector jobs and/self employed people can and do become councillors.
I perhaps should have worded it differently. Private sector employers are much less likely to allow an employee time off to attend council meetings.
[quote][p][bold]Rocksalt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CaughtJester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)[/p][/quote]If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like. WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.[/p][/quote]If. I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.[/p][/quote]and what have you done? apart from spend a day on the echo website[/p][/quote]At the moment, nothing, because i have to work in London, thanks to a misguided economic policy that ruined the country delivered by several successive governments. However, prior to that, i was a volunteer director of a local housing association, drove a minibus for two local charities and treasurer for another. Going back further i was the branch chair for Fair Oak and Horton Heath Conservatives. This idea that you cannot criticise unless you have stood as a councillor is nonsense. The system is cleverly designed to ensure that (unless you work in the public sector) you cannot operate as a councillor while holding down a job. Which in turn means that the choice of councillors is limited.[/p][/quote]Your last point is incorrect. People with private sector jobs and/self employed people can and do become councillors.[/p][/quote]I perhaps should have worded it differently. Private sector employers are much less likely to allow an employee time off to attend council meetings. JamesYoung
  • Score: 7

3:47pm Thu 29 May 14

tedbungy says...

CaughtJester wrote:
tedbungy wrote:
Maximum70 wrote:
Is it part of labours plan to apologise to cllr Ryan hope for the disgusting way they attacked him at what must have been an extremely stressful time in his life, without the underhand tactics of labour that had him down as guilty before innocent? Or would it be easier & less humiliating just to change the right in W&P chambers to innocent until proved guilty !
I second that. I have been a life long Labour supporter. The Labour Party was for the down troden, the weak and in need. The way they attacked Mr Hope for political gain was horible and I for one will find it hard to put my X for any Labour candidate. So well done local labour group
You mean by pointing out that someone facing serious charges ought to step back from their responsibilities (as would be expected of someone in a position of similar authority, such as a policeman or teacher) pending the outcome of their trial? Advice that was in fact supplied by his own Party but ignored by local Councillors?

I don't believe there was ever a suggestion or implication of guilt, or indeed an attack against Cllr Hope, by any other political party or member of the Council. If you are able to prove otherwise, I would be interested to see the evidence.

His Liberal Democrat colleagues owed Cllr Hope a duty of care, which they did not provide, hence the resulting media furore. For that I hope they have apologised.
Part oflocal Labour group tried to get him dismissed as a counilor to force a bielection in the hope of gaining his seat. The local libdems stood by him. Clegg only got involved when once again the same part of the local labour group contacted him. As I said labour is supossed to stand up for the opressed not kick them when their down. We also have inocent unill provied other wise. Had Ran not been a councilor he would have never been charged but since yew tree all in the public eye are dragged too the court with limited results.

I am no apoligest for serious sexual assult but the evidence against Ryan was so poor and thin if it was not so serious it would be a joke.
[quote][p][bold]CaughtJester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tedbungy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maximum70[/bold] wrote: Is it part of labours plan to apologise to cllr Ryan hope for the disgusting way they attacked him at what must have been an extremely stressful time in his life, without the underhand tactics of labour that had him down as guilty before innocent? Or would it be easier & less humiliating just to change the right in W&P chambers to innocent until proved guilty ![/p][/quote]I second that. I have been a life long Labour supporter. The Labour Party was for the down troden, the weak and in need. The way they attacked Mr Hope for political gain was horible and I for one will find it hard to put my X for any Labour candidate. So well done local labour group[/p][/quote]You mean by pointing out that someone facing serious charges ought to step back from their responsibilities (as would be expected of someone in a position of similar authority, such as a policeman or teacher) pending the outcome of their trial? Advice that was in fact supplied by his own Party but ignored by local Councillors? I don't believe there was ever a suggestion or implication of guilt, or indeed an attack against Cllr Hope, by any other political party or member of the Council. If you are able to prove otherwise, I would be interested to see the evidence. His Liberal Democrat colleagues owed Cllr Hope a duty of care, which they did not provide, hence the resulting media furore. For that I hope they have apologised.[/p][/quote]Part oflocal Labour group tried to get him dismissed as a counilor to force a bielection in the hope of gaining his seat. The local libdems stood by him. Clegg only got involved when once again the same part of the local labour group contacted him. As I said labour is supossed to stand up for the opressed not kick them when their down. We also have inocent unill provied other wise. Had Ran not been a councilor he would have never been charged but since yew tree all in the public eye are dragged too the court with limited results. I am no apoligest for serious sexual assult but the evidence against Ryan was so poor and thin if it was not so serious it would be a joke. tedbungy
  • Score: 9

4:41pm Thu 29 May 14

CaughtJester says...

tedbungy wrote:
CaughtJester wrote:
tedbungy wrote:
Maximum70 wrote:
Is it part of labours plan to apologise to cllr Ryan hope for the disgusting way they attacked him at what must have been an extremely stressful time in his life, without the underhand tactics of labour that had him down as guilty before innocent? Or would it be easier & less humiliating just to change the right in W&P chambers to innocent until proved guilty !
I second that. I have been a life long Labour supporter. The Labour Party was for the down troden, the weak and in need. The way they attacked Mr Hope for political gain was horible and I for one will find it hard to put my X for any Labour candidate. So well done local labour group
You mean by pointing out that someone facing serious charges ought to step back from their responsibilities (as would be expected of someone in a position of similar authority, such as a policeman or teacher) pending the outcome of their trial? Advice that was in fact supplied by his own Party but ignored by local Councillors?

I don't believe there was ever a suggestion or implication of guilt, or indeed an attack against Cllr Hope, by any other political party or member of the Council. If you are able to prove otherwise, I would be interested to see the evidence.

His Liberal Democrat colleagues owed Cllr Hope a duty of care, which they did not provide, hence the resulting media furore. For that I hope they have apologised.
Part oflocal Labour group tried to get him dismissed as a counilor to force a bielection in the hope of gaining his seat. The local libdems stood by him. Clegg only got involved when once again the same part of the local labour group contacted him. As I said labour is supossed to stand up for the opressed not kick them when their down. We also have inocent unill provied other wise. Had Ran not been a councilor he would have never been charged but since yew tree all in the public eye are dragged too the court with limited results.

I am no apoligest for serious sexual assult but the evidence against Ryan was so poor and thin if it was not so serious it would be a joke.
I don't recall there ever being any public criticism of Ryan Hope. Of his group and its leadership - yes. That he stepped back from his responsibilities on the Carnival Committee and was later suspended from the Lib Dems pending the outcome of his trial is evidence that, actually, the Labour Party was right to press on this issue. He was poorly advised by those closest to him and, as a result, was exposed to additional and unnecessary stress.

It is absolutely a good thing that he has been exonerated, just as it is outrageous that the case ever made it to court. Nevertheless, it is also right that when facing very serious charges, those in positions of authority and trust should step back from their responsibilities until their name has been cleared - to protect their interests and the integrity of the office they hold.
[quote][p][bold]tedbungy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CaughtJester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tedbungy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maximum70[/bold] wrote: Is it part of labours plan to apologise to cllr Ryan hope for the disgusting way they attacked him at what must have been an extremely stressful time in his life, without the underhand tactics of labour that had him down as guilty before innocent? Or would it be easier & less humiliating just to change the right in W&P chambers to innocent until proved guilty ![/p][/quote]I second that. I have been a life long Labour supporter. The Labour Party was for the down troden, the weak and in need. The way they attacked Mr Hope for political gain was horible and I for one will find it hard to put my X for any Labour candidate. So well done local labour group[/p][/quote]You mean by pointing out that someone facing serious charges ought to step back from their responsibilities (as would be expected of someone in a position of similar authority, such as a policeman or teacher) pending the outcome of their trial? Advice that was in fact supplied by his own Party but ignored by local Councillors? I don't believe there was ever a suggestion or implication of guilt, or indeed an attack against Cllr Hope, by any other political party or member of the Council. If you are able to prove otherwise, I would be interested to see the evidence. His Liberal Democrat colleagues owed Cllr Hope a duty of care, which they did not provide, hence the resulting media furore. For that I hope they have apologised.[/p][/quote]Part oflocal Labour group tried to get him dismissed as a counilor to force a bielection in the hope of gaining his seat. The local libdems stood by him. Clegg only got involved when once again the same part of the local labour group contacted him. As I said labour is supossed to stand up for the opressed not kick them when their down. We also have inocent unill provied other wise. Had Ran not been a councilor he would have never been charged but since yew tree all in the public eye are dragged too the court with limited results. I am no apoligest for serious sexual assult but the evidence against Ryan was so poor and thin if it was not so serious it would be a joke.[/p][/quote]I don't recall there ever being any public criticism of Ryan Hope. Of his group and its leadership - yes. That he stepped back from his responsibilities on the Carnival Committee and was later suspended from the Lib Dems pending the outcome of his trial is evidence that, actually, the Labour Party was right to press on this issue. He was poorly advised by those closest to him and, as a result, was exposed to additional and unnecessary stress. It is absolutely a good thing that he has been exonerated, just as it is outrageous that the case ever made it to court. Nevertheless, it is also right that when facing very serious charges, those in positions of authority and trust should step back from their responsibilities until their name has been cleared - to protect their interests and the integrity of the office they hold. CaughtJester
  • Score: -4

5:57pm Thu 29 May 14

OpenEye says...

Why is everyone so concerned about Condor? Why not put the ferry operation from Weymouth Harbour out to formal tender and see what interest there is before bending over backwards to try and please an organisation that seems to consider itself indispensable to the town?
Why is everyone so concerned about Condor? Why not put the ferry operation from Weymouth Harbour out to formal tender and see what interest there is before bending over backwards to try and please an organisation that seems to consider itself indispensable to the town? OpenEye
  • Score: 4

10:00pm Thu 29 May 14

oldbrock says...

sberth wrote:
What's that then, a shave and haircut?
bit personal isn't it? can you not think of anything positive to post except personal, childish remarks? you never know, the chap may surprise you and do a good job but then again perhaps you don't want that for some reason?
[quote][p][bold]sberth[/bold] wrote: What's that then, a shave and haircut?[/p][/quote]bit personal isn't it? can you not think of anything positive to post except personal, childish remarks? you never know, the chap may surprise you and do a good job but then again perhaps you don't want that for some reason? oldbrock
  • Score: -3

10:10pm Thu 29 May 14

oldbrock says...

koeterwaals wrote:
Nomalice wrote:
sberth wrote:
What's that then, a shave and haircut?
Oh please get your priorities sorted
Comment for the sake of it, or what?
Actually I think it is a very valid point.
The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp.
another personal jibe, because someone has long hair and a beard, any comment on my beard and you'd be told to mind your own gory business, just who do people think they are today, never heard of judging a book by its cover, pathetic, still, a clever diversion to stop this person being taken seriously, what for?, come on, don't skirt the issue, if there is something to say, say it, are you jealous of him, do you fear him? why not just get on and see what happens next
[quote][p][bold]koeterwaals[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nomalice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sberth[/bold] wrote: What's that then, a shave and haircut?[/p][/quote]Oh please get your priorities sorted Comment for the sake of it, or what?[/p][/quote]Actually I think it is a very valid point. The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp.[/p][/quote]another personal jibe, because someone has long hair and a beard, any comment on my beard and you'd be told to mind your own gory business, just who do people think they are today, never heard of judging a book by its cover, pathetic, still, a clever diversion to stop this person being taken seriously, what for?, come on, don't skirt the issue, if there is something to say, say it, are you jealous of him, do you fear him? why not just get on and see what happens next oldbrock
  • Score: -3

10:13pm Thu 29 May 14

oldbrock says...

IDONTKNOWIFITISTRRUE wrote:
koeterwaals says...The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp.
I have seen smarter tramps - has the man got no self-respect?
With his allowances, he ought to be able to afford to visit a local barber.
put your claws away! another who judges the book by the cover, good job there are perfect individuals like you around to look up to! (NOT)
[quote][p][bold]IDONTKNOWIFITISTRRUE[/bold] wrote: koeterwaals says...The leader of the council should look more professional. I don't think anyone would take him seriously while he looks like a tramp. I have seen smarter tramps - has the man got no self-respect? With his allowances, he ought to be able to afford to visit a local barber.[/p][/quote]put your claws away! another who judges the book by the cover, good job there are perfect individuals like you around to look up to! (NOT) oldbrock
  • Score: -3

10:15pm Thu 29 May 14

oldbrock says...

Get a grip wrote:
I do not care what he looks like as long as he makes the improvements he promises
well spoken, at last an enlightened individual who seems to be able to give someone a chance before character assassination
[quote][p][bold]Get a grip[/bold] wrote: I do not care what he looks like as long as he makes the improvements he promises[/p][/quote]well spoken, at last an enlightened individual who seems to be able to give someone a chance before character assassination oldbrock
  • Score: -4

10:19pm Thu 29 May 14

oldbrock says...

elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
sounds typical TORY to me!! cannot win above board, go under the counter! probably frightened he might just do a good job so lets slur him first, then precious time will be wasted etc etc, dirty tricks, rule by division and propaganda
[quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]sounds typical TORY to me!! cannot win above board, go under the counter! probably frightened he might just do a good job so lets slur him first, then precious time will be wasted etc etc, dirty tricks, rule by division and propaganda oldbrock
  • Score: -3

10:29pm Thu 29 May 14

oldbrock says...

elloello1980 wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
can you see what he's wearing then?

'should' men not have beards nor long hair?

the song "Little boxes" comes to mind:

"And the people in the houses
All went to the university,
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and lawyers,
And business executives,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same."
to right and just look at the nasty little anonymous redthumbs, look at Mps on TV and local councillors, is there a bulk order for the suit and packaged shirt and tie? what a bunch of lookalikes, nobody dare step out of the box, this is ENGLAND, a so-called free country, then again, its just a bit of backstabbing because the TORIES have been seen through, Liebour may tax you and spend but the TORIES? well...divide and rule, demonise one section of society against another , they are just pure poison and contrary to their announcement that they have changed and are now electable, well, its not much different to under Thatcher, enrich the rich at the expense of the poor and punish the sick and the weak just for being so
[quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)[/p][/quote]can you see what he's wearing then? 'should' men not have beards nor long hair? the song "Little boxes" comes to mind: "And the people in the houses All went to the university, Where they were put in boxes And they came out all the same, And there's doctors and lawyers, And business executives, And they're all made out of ticky tacky And they all look just the same."[/p][/quote]to right and just look at the nasty little anonymous redthumbs, look at Mps on TV and local councillors, is there a bulk order for the suit and packaged shirt and tie? what a bunch of lookalikes, nobody dare step out of the box, this is ENGLAND, a so-called free country, then again, its just a bit of backstabbing because the TORIES have been seen through, Liebour may tax you and spend but the TORIES? well...divide and rule, demonise one section of society against another , they are just pure poison and contrary to their announcement that they have changed and are now electable, well, its not much different to under Thatcher, enrich the rich at the expense of the poor and punish the sick and the weak just for being so oldbrock
  • Score: -5

10:36pm Thu 29 May 14

Tinker2 says...

oldbrock wrote:
Get a grip wrote: I do not care what he looks like as long as he makes the improvements he promises
well spoken, at last an enlightened individual who seems to be able to give someone a chance before character assassination
and better to be a bit 'individual' and Richard Branson like, than a shade of grey and more of the same !
[quote][p][bold]oldbrock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Get a grip[/bold] wrote: I do not care what he looks like as long as he makes the improvements he promises[/p][/quote]well spoken, at last an enlightened individual who seems to be able to give someone a chance before character assassination[/p][/quote]and better to be a bit 'individual' and Richard Branson like, than a shade of grey and more of the same ! Tinker2
  • Score: 0

10:51pm Thu 29 May 14

JamesYoung says...

oldbrock wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
can you see what he's wearing then?

'should' men not have beards nor long hair?

the song "Little boxes" comes to mind:

"And the people in the houses
All went to the university,
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and lawyers,
And business executives,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same."
to right and just look at the nasty little anonymous redthumbs, look at Mps on TV and local councillors, is there a bulk order for the suit and packaged shirt and tie? what a bunch of lookalikes, nobody dare step out of the box, this is ENGLAND, a so-called free country, then again, its just a bit of backstabbing because the TORIES have been seen through, Liebour may tax you and spend but the TORIES? well...divide and rule, demonise one section of society against another , they are just pure poison and contrary to their announcement that they have changed and are now electable, well, its not much different to under Thatcher, enrich the rich at the expense of the poor and punish the sick and the weak just for being so
The irony in your comment is that Thatcher genuinely believed in giving working people opportunity, as opposed to Labour who thought they needed protecting. Result: lots of working class people got to own their own homes, own shares in companies, etc. Of course Thatcher will never be remembered well because she broke the Unions - and more specifically the Unions that held the country to ransom every winter. If you took the time to research, you'd find that the Old Guard wanted her out because of her new ideas. Anyway, we can agree to disagree. You say she ruined Britain, i say she rescued it. If you can conveniently forget the 1970s, then its no surprise that you can conveniently forget Labour's performance after 1997.
Anyway, my comments about this dishevelled character are nothing to do with being a Tory (i am most assured not one any more) but rather to do with the fact that i would prefer that people that represent me dress appropriately. That really doesn't justify your outpouring of hate, does it?
If you really think that Labour will be any different, good on you. What was it again? An end to boom and bust? Well, to be fair, they were 50% right. They certainly ended the boom....although, as it turns out, the boom was based on a growth in household debt, not real growth.
[quote][p][bold]oldbrock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)[/p][/quote]can you see what he's wearing then? 'should' men not have beards nor long hair? the song "Little boxes" comes to mind: "And the people in the houses All went to the university, Where they were put in boxes And they came out all the same, And there's doctors and lawyers, And business executives, And they're all made out of ticky tacky And they all look just the same."[/p][/quote]to right and just look at the nasty little anonymous redthumbs, look at Mps on TV and local councillors, is there a bulk order for the suit and packaged shirt and tie? what a bunch of lookalikes, nobody dare step out of the box, this is ENGLAND, a so-called free country, then again, its just a bit of backstabbing because the TORIES have been seen through, Liebour may tax you and spend but the TORIES? well...divide and rule, demonise one section of society against another , they are just pure poison and contrary to their announcement that they have changed and are now electable, well, its not much different to under Thatcher, enrich the rich at the expense of the poor and punish the sick and the weak just for being so[/p][/quote]The irony in your comment is that Thatcher genuinely believed in giving working people opportunity, as opposed to Labour who thought they needed protecting. Result: lots of working class people got to own their own homes, own shares in companies, etc. Of course Thatcher will never be remembered well because she broke the Unions - and more specifically the Unions that held the country to ransom every winter. If you took the time to research, you'd find that the Old Guard wanted her out because of her new ideas. Anyway, we can agree to disagree. You say she ruined Britain, i say she rescued it. If you can conveniently forget the 1970s, then its no surprise that you can conveniently forget Labour's performance after 1997. Anyway, my comments about this dishevelled character are nothing to do with being a Tory (i am most assured not one any more) but rather to do with the fact that i would prefer that people that represent me dress appropriately. That really doesn't justify your outpouring of hate, does it? If you really think that Labour will be any different, good on you. What was it again? An end to boom and bust? Well, to be fair, they were 50% right. They certainly ended the boom....although, as it turns out, the boom was based on a growth in household debt, not real growth. JamesYoung
  • Score: 3

11:19pm Thu 29 May 14

Rocksalt says...

JamesYoung wrote:
Rocksalt wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
CaughtJester wrote:
JamesYoung wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy
To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish.
(The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)
If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like.

WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.
If.
I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.
and what have you done? apart from spend a day on the echo website
At the moment, nothing, because i have to work in London, thanks to a misguided economic policy that ruined the country delivered by several successive governments.
However, prior to that, i was a volunteer director of a local housing association, drove a minibus for two local charities and treasurer for another. Going back further i was the branch chair for Fair Oak and Horton Heath Conservatives.
This idea that you cannot criticise unless you have stood as a councillor is nonsense. The system is cleverly designed to ensure that (unless you work in the public sector) you cannot operate as a councillor while holding down a job. Which in turn means that the choice of councillors is limited.
Your last point is incorrect. People with private sector jobs and/self employed people can and do become councillors.
I perhaps should have worded it differently. Private sector employers are much less likely to allow an employee time off to attend council meetings.
That is almost certainly true. Non- public sector employee councillors seem to be either business owners, self-employed or retired.
[quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rocksalt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CaughtJester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: putting down a political party by picking on how someone looks. very classy[/p][/quote]To be fair, *most* people expect their representatives to dress appropriately. If that is the wish of most people, then an elected representative should be prepared to do as they wish. (The obvious flaw in this argument is that most people didn't vote for Labour!)[/p][/quote]If he can do as he promises (and he certainly can't do any worse than the last lot) and turn things around, I couldn't care what he looks like. WPBC has needed a kick in the backside for a long time - it's nice to, at the very least, see a councillor acknowledge things need to change.[/p][/quote]If. I have zero expectations for any councillor. Most of them are just neighbourhood busybodies with agendas. They promise the world and fail to deliver, a phenomenon which goes right to the very top of the political system in this country.[/p][/quote]and what have you done? apart from spend a day on the echo website[/p][/quote]At the moment, nothing, because i have to work in London, thanks to a misguided economic policy that ruined the country delivered by several successive governments. However, prior to that, i was a volunteer director of a local housing association, drove a minibus for two local charities and treasurer for another. Going back further i was the branch chair for Fair Oak and Horton Heath Conservatives. This idea that you cannot criticise unless you have stood as a councillor is nonsense. The system is cleverly designed to ensure that (unless you work in the public sector) you cannot operate as a councillor while holding down a job. Which in turn means that the choice of councillors is limited.[/p][/quote]Your last point is incorrect. People with private sector jobs and/self employed people can and do become councillors.[/p][/quote]I perhaps should have worded it differently. Private sector employers are much less likely to allow an employee time off to attend council meetings.[/p][/quote]That is almost certainly true. Non- public sector employee councillors seem to be either business owners, self-employed or retired. Rocksalt
  • Score: 5

4:53pm Tue 3 Jun 14

D.shoreditch says...

how much more politically motivated censorship will the Echo undertake? It's getting so obtuse anyone can see it now.
how much more politically motivated censorship will the Echo undertake? It's getting so obtuse anyone can see it now. D.shoreditch
  • Score: 5

5:05pm Tue 3 Jun 14

D.shoreditch says...

The very first comment now shows how ridiculous it is getting. The censored comment still showing in quote, clearly not something worth censoring. More troubling is the last comment deleted yesterday questioning tax payer money, Labour members and the side-shifting of the money to champagnr socialist cronies via Art projects and third sector charaties/groups who are tied with local civil servants.

Why would that be censored by our local press unless something is going?
The very first comment now shows how ridiculous it is getting. The censored comment still showing in quote, clearly not something worth censoring. More troubling is the last comment deleted yesterday questioning tax payer money, Labour members and the side-shifting of the money to champagnr socialist cronies via Art projects and third sector charaties/groups who are tied with local civil servants. Why would that be censored by our local press unless something is going? D.shoreditch
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree