Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital

Dorset Echo: HEARTBROKEN: Minnie Alcock, devastated after thieves raided her bedroom for jewellery HEARTBROKEN: Minnie Alcock, devastated after thieves raided her bedroom for jewellery

A CANCER-STRICKEN pensioner has been left heartbroken after irreplaceable items were stolen from her home while she was in hospital.

A silver dollar that was given to Minnie Alcock’s late husband when he escorted Winston Churchill to the US during the Second World War, an ivory card box used by her grandfather in the 1870s and a compact given to her by her late son are among the treasures taken.

As reported in the Echo, the items and other jewellery – described by police as of ‘high sentimental and monetary value’- – were stolen from Mrs Alcock’s home in Abbotsbury Road sometime in the last 15 months.

Mrs Alcock, who is nearly 85, endured a five-month hospital stay due to blood infections and only realised the theft had taken place when she wanted to dress up for a meal on Mother’s Day.

She believes this is when the items were taken.

She said: “I went into hospital for a minor operation and it turned out to be worse than they thought. My stay was extended to three weeks and that turned into five months.

“When you’re ill, you’re not thinking of dressing up, so it wasn’t until Mother’s Day that I decided, as my daughter was taking me out, that I would dress up.

“I went to get the jewellery from the dressing table in my bedroom and it was gone.

“The locket stolen contained the last photo I took of my late husband and a photo of my son, who I lost unexpectedly 12 years later.

“It was very sentimental to me. After my husband died I put his photo in there so I could wear it and always have him with me.

“A bracelet was also taken which was made out of my great-grandfather’s time keeping watch. This is my family history. These are things that can’t be replaced because they have been handled by people who are no longer here who meant a lot to me. I really am heartbroken.”

Mrs Alcock has decided to speak to the Echo about her ordeal in the hope that anyone who may have been offered the unusual items will contact the police.

The box is described as ivory and brass with playing card design on top, the locket is 18 carat gold, oval shape and on a gold chain.

There is also an eternity ring made of white gold with diamonds all around among the stolen items.

She said: “If your radio or television is stolen, it’s bad but it’s all replaceable. I can’t get any of my family history back.

“All I’ve got now is what I know in my mind.

“Whoever’s done this has really kicked me when I’ve been down.”

Detective Constable Steve Blackmore, of Weymouth police, said: “The loss of these items is very distressing for the victim as they have a high sentimental value.

“I am appealing for anybody who has information that could help recover the items to contact police as soon as possible.

“I would also like to hear from anyone who has been offered high value jewellery for sale in strange circumstances or for an unusually low price.

“All calls are treated in the strictest confidence.”

Witnesses and anyone with information should call Dorset Police on 101 quoting crime number 17:244.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:22am Mon 9 Jun 14

JackJohnson says...

Sad, but unfortunately not an uncommon event when the thieving bar-stewards find out that someone will be leaving their home empty for a while.

It's too late now for Minnie (unless someone fingers the thief or recognises her stuff and has a conscience) but it might not be a bad idea to have a trusted firend or relative primed to remove valuables from your home if you have to leave your it unoccupied unexpectedly.
Sad, but unfortunately not an uncommon event when the thieving bar-stewards find out that someone will be leaving their home empty for a while. It's too late now for Minnie (unless someone fingers the thief or recognises her stuff and has a conscience) but it might not be a bad idea to have a trusted firend or relative primed to remove valuables from your home if you have to leave your it unoccupied unexpectedly. JackJohnson
  • Score: 6

9:45am Mon 9 Jun 14

unexpected error says...

Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.
Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital. unexpected error
  • Score: 15

10:14am Mon 9 Jun 14

annotater says...

unexpected error wrote:
Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.
Quite agree. Editor must be asleep, again.
[quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.[/p][/quote]Quite agree. Editor must be asleep, again. annotater
  • Score: 12

10:47am Mon 9 Jun 14

elloello1980 says...

unexpected error wrote:
Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.
to a simpleton
[quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.[/p][/quote]to a simpleton elloello1980
  • Score: -15

11:23am Mon 9 Jun 14

unexpected error says...

elloello1980 wrote:
unexpected error wrote:
Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.
to a simpleton
What a nice friendly start to the week.
[quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.[/p][/quote]to a simpleton[/p][/quote]What a nice friendly start to the week. unexpected error
  • Score: 6

1:08pm Mon 9 Jun 14

elloello1980 says...

unexpected error wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
unexpected error wrote:
Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.
to a simpleton
What a nice friendly start to the week.
"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital"

the elderly woman is a cancer patient

here jewellery was stolen while she was in hospital.

I hope this helps the one that jumped on the comments to criticise the echo, and nothing else. great person you are too ;)
[quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.[/p][/quote]to a simpleton[/p][/quote]What a nice friendly start to the week.[/p][/quote]"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital" the elderly woman is a cancer patient here jewellery was stolen while she was in hospital. I hope this helps the one that jumped on the comments to criticise the echo, and nothing else. great person you are too ;) elloello1980
  • Score: -8

1:52pm Mon 9 Jun 14

February1948 says...

Although I was not in hospital, whilst away on holiday over 20 years ago my house was burgled and all my late mother's and grandmother's jewellery was stolen. Some of it was valuable and some not, but all of it was of great sentimental value to me and was irreplaceable. I can only imagine what this poor lady has gone through and my heart goes out to her.
Although I was not in hospital, whilst away on holiday over 20 years ago my house was burgled and all my late mother's and grandmother's jewellery was stolen. Some of it was valuable and some not, but all of it was of great sentimental value to me and was irreplaceable. I can only imagine what this poor lady has gone through and my heart goes out to her. February1948
  • Score: 5

3:31pm Mon 9 Jun 14

Crimbo says...

"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital"
This story has absolutely nothing to do with a hospital other than the victim thinks the theft may have been when she went for a minor op...
Sad story, and I sympathise with her loss - but what a terrible piece of journalism from the Echo once again.
"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital" This story has absolutely nothing to do with a hospital other than the victim thinks the theft may have been when she went for a minor op... Sad story, and I sympathise with her loss - but what a terrible piece of journalism from the Echo once again. Crimbo
  • Score: 3

5:12pm Mon 9 Jun 14

elloello1980 says...

Crimbo wrote:
"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital"
This story has absolutely nothing to do with a hospital other than the victim thinks the theft may have been when she went for a minor op...
Sad story, and I sympathise with her loss - but what a terrible piece of journalism from the Echo once again.
but we all still read (and moan)
[quote][p][bold]Crimbo[/bold] wrote: "Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital" This story has absolutely nothing to do with a hospital other than the victim thinks the theft may have been when she went for a minor op... Sad story, and I sympathise with her loss - but what a terrible piece of journalism from the Echo once again.[/p][/quote]but we all still read (and moan) elloello1980
  • Score: 0

10:50pm Mon 9 Jun 14

Brian KM says...

elloello1980 wrote:
unexpected error wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
unexpected error wrote:
Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.
to a simpleton
What a nice friendly start to the week.
"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital"

the elderly woman is a cancer patient

here jewellery was stolen while she was in hospital.

I hope this helps the one that jumped on the comments to criticise the echo, and nothing else. great person you are too ;)
I hope that the Echo is going to apologise the DCH for printing a very misleading headline inferring that the theft took place in the hospital. Tidy up you headlines Dorset Echo!!!
[quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.[/p][/quote]to a simpleton[/p][/quote]What a nice friendly start to the week.[/p][/quote]"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital" the elderly woman is a cancer patient here jewellery was stolen while she was in hospital. I hope this helps the one that jumped on the comments to criticise the echo, and nothing else. great person you are too ;)[/p][/quote]I hope that the Echo is going to apologise the DCH for printing a very misleading headline inferring that the theft took place in the hospital. Tidy up you headlines Dorset Echo!!! Brian KM
  • Score: 1

10:27am Tue 10 Jun 14

JackJohnson says...

Brian KM wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
unexpected error wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
unexpected error wrote:
Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.
to a simpleton
What a nice friendly start to the week.
"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital"

the elderly woman is a cancer patient

here jewellery was stolen while she was in hospital.

I hope this helps the one that jumped on the comments to criticise the echo, and nothing else. great person you are too ;)
I hope that the Echo is going to apologise the DCH for printing a very misleading headline inferring that the theft took place in the hospital. Tidy up you headlines Dorset Echo!!!
Why should the Echo have to apologise for a headline which is factually 100% correct? It is only open to misleading interpretation for those a little lacking in the comprehension department.
[quote][p][bold]Brian KM[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.[/p][/quote]to a simpleton[/p][/quote]What a nice friendly start to the week.[/p][/quote]"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital" the elderly woman is a cancer patient here jewellery was stolen while she was in hospital. I hope this helps the one that jumped on the comments to criticise the echo, and nothing else. great person you are too ;)[/p][/quote]I hope that the Echo is going to apologise the DCH for printing a very misleading headline inferring that the theft took place in the hospital. Tidy up you headlines Dorset Echo!!![/p][/quote]Why should the Echo have to apologise for a headline which is factually 100% correct? It is only open to misleading interpretation for those a little lacking in the comprehension department. JackJohnson
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Tue 10 Jun 14

elloello1980 says...

JackJohnson wrote:
Brian KM wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
unexpected error wrote:
elloello1980 wrote:
unexpected error wrote:
Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.
to a simpleton
What a nice friendly start to the week.
"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital"

the elderly woman is a cancer patient

here jewellery was stolen while she was in hospital.

I hope this helps the one that jumped on the comments to criticise the echo, and nothing else. great person you are too ;)
I hope that the Echo is going to apologise the DCH for printing a very misleading headline inferring that the theft took place in the hospital. Tidy up you headlines Dorset Echo!!!
Why should the Echo have to apologise for a headline which is factually 100% correct? It is only open to misleading interpretation for those a little lacking in the comprehension department.
well said
[quote][p][bold]JackJohnson[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brian KM[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elloello1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]unexpected error[/bold] wrote: Very misleading headline, suggests her jewellery was stolen in the Hospital.[/p][/quote]to a simpleton[/p][/quote]What a nice friendly start to the week.[/p][/quote]"Cancer patient's jewellery stolen while she was in hospital" the elderly woman is a cancer patient here jewellery was stolen while she was in hospital. I hope this helps the one that jumped on the comments to criticise the echo, and nothing else. great person you are too ;)[/p][/quote]I hope that the Echo is going to apologise the DCH for printing a very misleading headline inferring that the theft took place in the hospital. Tidy up you headlines Dorset Echo!!![/p][/quote]Why should the Echo have to apologise for a headline which is factually 100% correct? It is only open to misleading interpretation for those a little lacking in the comprehension department.[/p][/quote]well said elloello1980
  • Score: 0

2:29pm Tue 10 Jun 14

Crimbo says...

JackJohnson wrote: "Why should the Echo have to apologise for a headline which is factually 100% correct? It is only open to misleading interpretation for those a little lacking in the comprehension department."

Perhaps because the headline is so poorly constructed that I can be interpreted as stolen "from some other place while she was a patient at the hospital" or stolen "from the hospital whilst she was in as a patient"
Either way it's immaterial as she doesn't actually know where or when the things were stolen; she's merely assuming that the theft happened when she was at the hospital. With no other signs of break-in I'd start looking elsewhere for an explanation of the theft other than a random burglar...
JackJohnson wrote: "Why should the Echo have to apologise for a headline which is factually 100% correct? It is only open to misleading interpretation for those a little lacking in the comprehension department." Perhaps because the headline is so poorly constructed that I can be interpreted as stolen "from some other place while she was a patient at the hospital" or stolen "from the hospital whilst she was in as a patient" Either way it's immaterial as she doesn't actually know where or when the things were stolen; she's merely assuming that the theft happened when she was at the hospital. With no other signs of break-in I'd start looking elsewhere for an explanation of the theft other than a random burglar... Crimbo
  • Score: 0

11:09am Wed 11 Jun 14

elloello1980 says...

Crimbo wrote:
JackJohnson wrote: "Why should the Echo have to apologise for a headline which is factually 100% correct? It is only open to misleading interpretation for those a little lacking in the comprehension department."

Perhaps because the headline is so poorly constructed that I can be interpreted as stolen "from some other place while she was a patient at the hospital" or stolen "from the hospital whilst she was in as a patient"
Either way it's immaterial as she doesn't actually know where or when the things were stolen; she's merely assuming that the theft happened when she was at the hospital. With no other signs of break-in I'd start looking elsewhere for an explanation of the theft other than a random burglar...
awwwwww
[quote][p][bold]Crimbo[/bold] wrote: JackJohnson wrote: "Why should the Echo have to apologise for a headline which is factually 100% correct? It is only open to misleading interpretation for those a little lacking in the comprehension department." Perhaps because the headline is so poorly constructed that I can be interpreted as stolen "from some other place while she was a patient at the hospital" or stolen "from the hospital whilst she was in as a patient" Either way it's immaterial as she doesn't actually know where or when the things were stolen; she's merely assuming that the theft happened when she was at the hospital. With no other signs of break-in I'd start looking elsewhere for an explanation of the theft other than a random burglar...[/p][/quote]awwwwww elloello1980
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree