A MOTORCYCLIST is fighting for his life following a horror crash yesterday.

He was seriously injured in a day of multiple accidents which caused traffic chaos on the roads.

The man in his 40s, from Hampshire, was airlifted to hospital after his Suzuki GSXR 1000 was in collision with a car before crashing into a road sign at Roundhouse Roundabout, near Sturminster Marshall, shortly after 8.30am.

He sustained serious leg, stomach and shoulder injuries, and was taken to Southampton General Hospital by the Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance Service where he was later said to be in a critical condition.

A spokesman for the South West Ambulance Service said at the scene: “We were called to the Roundhouse Roundabout on the A31 after a motorcyclist went into a metal road sign just after 8.30am this morning.

“The man has suffered quite serious leg and stomach injuries, and he will be airlifted from the scene to hospital shortly.”

Police closed the A31 both ways from the roundabout along to the Lake Gates roundabout while an investigation was carried out at the scene of the crash, which was thought to have involved other vehicles.

The road was not reopened until 1.40pm.

The delays were exacerbated by another accident eastbound on the road, which left a white Renault Megane on its roof in the central reservation between Picket Post and Stoney Cross.

One lane was closed in both directions as the emergency services cleared fuel from the road.

South Central Ambulance Service confirmed two patients were treated at the scene for minor injuries and taken to Southampton General Hospital as a precaution.

Two ambulances and a rapid response vehicle attended.

At 11.40am two lanes on the westbound carriageway were closed following a four-vehicle accident at Picket Post.

A spokesperson for the police said two of the vehicles were badly damaged but no serious injuries were believed to have been sustained.

The accident involved a Nissan Juke, registered to an address in West Sussex, an Audi A3, registered to an address in Devon and a Peugeot 207, registered to an address in Totton.

The A35 was also closed following a three-vehicle crash.

Emergency services were at the scene of the incident which took place at Morden Park Corner at around 11.15am.

A grey Volkswagen California caravan, a black Seat Leon and a silver Honda Accord were involved in the incident. No one was injured.

The road was reopened after recovery vehicles attended and drivers exchanged details.

Smash sparks tailbacks

A Dorset Police spokesperson said: “We understand the frustration of motorists caught up in today’s road traffic collisions and are aware of the inconvenience caused by the tailbacks. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

“However, any road closures following a serious collision are only put in place for as short a period as possible adhering to the Home Office Clear Principle. Officers only have one chance to secure all the evidence required for the investigation.”