Harvesting of shellfish in Portland Harbour reinstated

Harvesting of shellfish in Portland Harbour reinstated

Harvesting of shellfish in Portland Harbour reinstated

First published in News

A CLOSURE notice preventing the harvesting of filter feeding molluscs in Portland Harbour has been lifted.

The notice, which did not include the Fleet oyster beds, was issued last month after traces of the potentially deadly Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning (ASP) was detected following routine testing of scallops.

Authorities in Dorset have been working with the Food Standards Agency, the Marine Management Organisation and the Southern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority to monitor ASP levels.

The Weymouth Port Health Authority has now confirmed that sampling results showed molluscs in the harbour no longer exceeded the maximum permitted level and the harvesting of scallops, oysters and mussels could be reinstated.

Chairman of Weymouth Port Health Committee Cllr Paul Kimber said: “I’m absolutely delighted that we can get going again and the industry can get going.

“I would like to thank the fisherman and local people for their patience whilst we were getting this done.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:40pm Sat 21 Jun 14

shy talk says...

That’s good news, which should increase the libido with the aphrodisiac qualities of shellfish !!!!!!
That’s good news, which should increase the libido with the aphrodisiac qualities of shellfish !!!!!! shy talk
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree