PORTLAND coastguards helped to rescue swimmers and jetskiers in distress and boats in trouble.

Just before 9am on Sunday a distress call was received from the crew of the 31ft yacht Spookee after a third crew member collapsed unwell on board, whilst sailing near St Albans Head.

Portland coastguard rescue helicopter was sent to the scene and after assessment by the winchman, a 41-year-old woman was airlifted from the vessel to the A&E department of Dorchester County Hospital.

Just before 11am the owner of the 23ft yacht Rainbow called Portland Coastguard to say the vessel was aground inside Christchurch Harbour.

At high water the boat did refloat but was still stuck so Mudeford lifeboat was sent to pull the vessel clear.

At 1.13pm a woman called the coastguards stating her son had brken down on his speedboat near the Sandbanks ferry.

On investigation, the boat could not be found and it is believed the owner managed to restart the engine.

At 2pm Christchurch Harbour Patrol vessel Mike Papa responded to a broadcast for assistance from the speedboat Dark Angel, which had suffered engine failure and was beached at Avon Beach near Mudeford. They were towed to harbour.

At 4.30pm Portland coastguards received information that two jetskis had been causing a nuisance in a swimming area at Bowleaze cove which had now capsized leaving their crew in the water.

The Weymouth Harbour launch, which was already on scene, requested assistance from the Weymouth Inshore Lifeboat. On arrival the two jetski riders were recovered back to shore and their craft returned also. They were uninjured.

At 5.37pm coastguards tasked Bridport Harbour Launch to tow back to harbour the dive boat Wells Diver which had run out of fuel just outside Bridport Harbour.

At 7.28pm Portland coastguards sent Southbourne Coastguards to help Dorset police in a search for a missing person.

A pile of clothes had been found on Boscombe beach, but it was discovered that the man had got into difficulties in the water earlier in the day and had been rescued by a boat but the information had not been passed on.