Police hunt campsite conman

Dorset Echo: Police hunt campsite conman Police hunt campsite conman

POLICE are hunting a man who made off from a campsite without paying.

Officers investigating the scam in Osmington believe the man could strike again.

On June 24 the wanted man left the campsite at Osmington Mills without paying an outstanding bill.

He has been described as white, aged in his sixties, about six feet tall and of big build. He was wearing glasses, has grey hair and a tattoo on his left forearm with the name Lynn on it.

Police Sergeant Rachel Goodwin, of Dorchester police, said: “On his arrival the man stated that he is from the East end of London and he did not have enough money to pay straight away.

“He was allowed to stay at the location but then failed to pay the outstanding amount before he left.

“I believe that this man specifically targets Bed and Breakfast establishments and I would like to make local proprietors aware of this incident.

“I urge anyone who has information about the current whereabouts of this man to contact Dorset Police as soon as possible.”

Witnesses and anyone with information should call Dorset Police in confidence on 101 quoting incident number 25:195. Alternatively, call the free and anonymous Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111 where mobile phone tariffs may apply.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:59pm Wed 25 Jun 14

Sorted Echo says...

Wow hold the front page!

...up next someone's car ariel gets bent in terror attack
Wow hold the front page! ...up next someone's car ariel gets bent in terror attack Sorted Echo
  • Score: -2

5:37pm Wed 25 Jun 14

cosmick says...

Not really a paper story is it.?
Who ever arrest this chap, will have a good chance of going up the ladder.
How much did he owe?
Not really a paper story is it.? Who ever arrest this chap, will have a good chance of going up the ladder. How much did he owe? cosmick
  • Score: -12

6:44pm Wed 25 Jun 14

IDONTKNOWIFITISTRRUE says...

I am surprised that he did not have a campervan and park in the nearest car park!
I am surprised that he did not have a campervan and park in the nearest car park! IDONTKNOWIFITISTRRUE
  • Score: 3

7:59am Thu 26 Jun 14

JamesYoung says...

Excellent detective work though:
"I believe that this man specifically targets *Bed and Breakfast* establishments"
"the wanted man left the *campsite* "
Anyway, I don't know why we are wasting police time on something that is entirely the owners fault. I wouldn't hand over the keys to my car to somebody who didn't have the money to pay.
Excellent detective work though: "I believe that this man specifically targets *Bed and Breakfast* establishments" "the wanted man left the *campsite* " Anyway, I don't know why we are wasting police time on something that is entirely the owners fault. I wouldn't hand over the keys to my car to somebody who didn't have the money to pay. JamesYoung
  • Score: -11

8:14am Thu 26 Jun 14

Rodwellocal says...

Clearly a man with criminal in tent.
Clearly a man with criminal in tent. Rodwellocal
  • Score: 14

10:30am Thu 26 Jun 14

JackJohnson says...

JamesYoung wrote:
Excellent detective work though:
"I believe that this man specifically targets *Bed and Breakfast* establishments"
"the wanted man left the *campsite* "
Anyway, I don't know why we are wasting police time on something that is entirely the owners fault. I wouldn't hand over the keys to my car to somebody who didn't have the money to pay.
I don't know what this has to do with the keys to your car, but I do know that you are wrong to hold the camp site owner responsible for this criminal act.

The site owner showed a little trust and common decency to an individual who claimed he didn't have the cash to pay up front. He then left the site without paying. In future the camp site owner will be less trusting, but he is not responsible for this theft, fraud or whatever it amounts to.

Perhaps you blame garage attendants for allowing some of their customers to drive away without paying, or supermarket managers for leaving goods where some customers can just pick them up and walk away without paying?

The reason this is a useful, publishable story is that local site operators and b&b establishments now know there's a reasonably easily identifiable con operating in the area. He, conveniently, rolls up then goes for a kip leaving the suspicious site/b&b operator plenty of time to call the police - IF he knows who to look out for. It won't be long before he's caught, but that'll only happen with awareness and cooperation.
[quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: Excellent detective work though: "I believe that this man specifically targets *Bed and Breakfast* establishments" "the wanted man left the *campsite* " Anyway, I don't know why we are wasting police time on something that is entirely the owners fault. I wouldn't hand over the keys to my car to somebody who didn't have the money to pay.[/p][/quote]I don't know what this has to do with the keys to your car, but I do know that you are wrong to hold the camp site owner responsible for this criminal act. The site owner showed a little trust and common decency to an individual who claimed he didn't have the cash to pay up front. He then left the site without paying. In future the camp site owner will be less trusting, but he is not responsible for this theft, fraud or whatever it amounts to. Perhaps you blame garage attendants for allowing some of their customers to drive away without paying, or supermarket managers for leaving goods where some customers can just pick them up and walk away without paying? The reason this is a useful, publishable story is that local site operators and b&b establishments now know there's a reasonably easily identifiable con operating in the area. He, conveniently, rolls up then goes for a kip leaving the suspicious site/b&b operator plenty of time to call the police - IF he knows who to look out for. It won't be long before he's caught, but that'll only happen with awareness and cooperation. JackJohnson
  • Score: 12

7:46pm Thu 26 Jun 14

rantover4now says...

Why is it that the imbeciles who respond to stories cannot look beyond the end of their noses and see the bigger picture? Ok, so you don't have the full story via the Echo's reporting here, but seriously? The reason it was reported to the police by the owners is because it was discovered that this was a conman wanted by the police and therefore to warn other establishments of his antics. So, yes he is known to do this kind of thing to B and B's also, hence why it is mentioned. It matters not what he owes, that is not the reason it was reported - a lot more than that has been taken by theiving scumbags over the years that has gone unreported. It was reported as he is a wanted criminal. How narrowminded you people are. If you don't want to read stories that are irrelevant to you - then DON'T! The owner merely reported to warn others, if this does not include you, don't read it! No one forced you to. Just because you have no decency, don't mock those that do still have decent, honest, trustworthy morals. None of you know the full story and have no basis of fact on which to comment. If the echo and police chose to report this story in the way they did, well that's up to them, but no one can hold the owner to blame for wishing to pass on the information for others to be aware. To everyone who bothered to respond with your playground uneducated thoughts, bless you for taking the time out of your amazingly busy, fruitful and rewarding lives to comment on such a worthless story! Hope nothing ever happens to you and your perfect lives.
Why is it that the imbeciles who respond to stories cannot look beyond the end of their noses and see the bigger picture? Ok, so you don't have the full story via the Echo's reporting here, but seriously? The reason it was reported to the police by the owners is because it was discovered that this was a conman wanted by the police and therefore to warn other establishments of his antics. So, yes he is known to do this kind of thing to B and B's also, hence why it is mentioned. It matters not what he owes, that is not the reason it was reported - a lot more than that has been taken by theiving scumbags over the years that has gone unreported. It was reported as he is a wanted criminal. How narrowminded you people are. If you don't want to read stories that are irrelevant to you - then DON'T! The owner merely reported to warn others, if this does not include you, don't read it! No one forced you to. Just because you have no decency, don't mock those that do still have decent, honest, trustworthy morals. None of you know the full story and have no basis of fact on which to comment. If the echo and police chose to report this story in the way they did, well that's up to them, but no one can hold the owner to blame for wishing to pass on the information for others to be aware. To everyone who bothered to respond with your playground uneducated thoughts, bless you for taking the time out of your amazingly busy, fruitful and rewarding lives to comment on such a worthless story! Hope nothing ever happens to you and your perfect lives. rantover4now
  • Score: 12

9:29am Fri 27 Jun 14

rantover4now says...

Allan Goodin - Google it all you haters of decency. Perhaps you'd like to join his club as you have no regard for others?
Allan Goodin - Google it all you haters of decency. Perhaps you'd like to join his club as you have no regard for others? rantover4now
  • Score: 0

9:55am Fri 27 Jun 14

JackJohnson says...

rantover4now wrote:
Why is it that the imbeciles who respond to stories cannot look beyond the end of their noses and see the bigger picture? Ok, so you don't have the full story via the Echo's reporting here, but seriously? The reason it was reported to the police by the owners is because it was discovered that this was a conman wanted by the police and therefore to warn other establishments of his antics. So, yes he is known to do this kind of thing to B and B's also, hence why it is mentioned. It matters not what he owes, that is not the reason it was reported - a lot more than that has been taken by theiving scumbags over the years that has gone unreported. It was reported as he is a wanted criminal. How narrowminded you people are. If you don't want to read stories that are irrelevant to you - then DON'T! The owner merely reported to warn others, if this does not include you, don't read it! No one forced you to. Just because you have no decency, don't mock those that do still have decent, honest, trustworthy morals. None of you know the full story and have no basis of fact on which to comment. If the echo and police chose to report this story in the way they did, well that's up to them, but no one can hold the owner to blame for wishing to pass on the information for others to be aware. To everyone who bothered to respond with your playground uneducated thoughts, bless you for taking the time out of your amazingly busy, fruitful and rewarding lives to comment on such a worthless story! Hope nothing ever happens to you and your perfect lives.
There is no indication in the story, as reported, that the man was wanted prior to this incident. My interpretation is that he is wanted as a result of this offence.

There is no indication that the story was reported by the campsite owner/operator. It is on the Dorset Police Twitter feed. so it's likely that the Echo reporter read it on there and decided to foolow it up.

I know that if I ran a B&B, hotel, camp site (or any other business) I'd be glad of the tip-off, and delighted to have an opportunity to put this scumbag in his place.
[quote][p][bold]rantover4now[/bold] wrote: Why is it that the imbeciles who respond to stories cannot look beyond the end of their noses and see the bigger picture? Ok, so you don't have the full story via the Echo's reporting here, but seriously? The reason it was reported to the police by the owners is because it was discovered that this was a conman wanted by the police and therefore to warn other establishments of his antics. So, yes he is known to do this kind of thing to B and B's also, hence why it is mentioned. It matters not what he owes, that is not the reason it was reported - a lot more than that has been taken by theiving scumbags over the years that has gone unreported. It was reported as he is a wanted criminal. How narrowminded you people are. If you don't want to read stories that are irrelevant to you - then DON'T! The owner merely reported to warn others, if this does not include you, don't read it! No one forced you to. Just because you have no decency, don't mock those that do still have decent, honest, trustworthy morals. None of you know the full story and have no basis of fact on which to comment. If the echo and police chose to report this story in the way they did, well that's up to them, but no one can hold the owner to blame for wishing to pass on the information for others to be aware. To everyone who bothered to respond with your playground uneducated thoughts, bless you for taking the time out of your amazingly busy, fruitful and rewarding lives to comment on such a worthless story! Hope nothing ever happens to you and your perfect lives.[/p][/quote]There is no indication in the story, as reported, that the man was wanted prior to this incident. My interpretation is that he is wanted as a result of this offence. There is no indication that the story was reported by the campsite owner/operator. It is on the Dorset Police Twitter feed. so it's likely that the Echo reporter read it on there and decided to foolow it up. I know that if I ran a B&B, hotel, camp site (or any other business) I'd be glad of the tip-off, and delighted to have an opportunity to put this scumbag in his place. JackJohnson
  • Score: 1

12:28pm Fri 27 Jun 14

rantover4now says...

JackJohnson wrote:
rantover4now wrote:
Why is it that the imbeciles who respond to stories cannot look beyond the end of their noses and see the bigger picture? Ok, so you don't have the full story via the Echo's reporting here, but seriously? The reason it was reported to the police by the owners is because it was discovered that this was a conman wanted by the police and therefore to warn other establishments of his antics. So, yes he is known to do this kind of thing to B and B's also, hence why it is mentioned. It matters not what he owes, that is not the reason it was reported - a lot more than that has been taken by theiving scumbags over the years that has gone unreported. It was reported as he is a wanted criminal. How narrowminded you people are. If you don't want to read stories that are irrelevant to you - then DON'T! The owner merely reported to warn others, if this does not include you, don't read it! No one forced you to. Just because you have no decency, don't mock those that do still have decent, honest, trustworthy morals. None of you know the full story and have no basis of fact on which to comment. If the echo and police chose to report this story in the way they did, well that's up to them, but no one can hold the owner to blame for wishing to pass on the information for others to be aware. To everyone who bothered to respond with your playground uneducated thoughts, bless you for taking the time out of your amazingly busy, fruitful and rewarding lives to comment on such a worthless story! Hope nothing ever happens to you and your perfect lives.
There is no indication in the story, as reported, that the man was wanted prior to this incident. My interpretation is that he is wanted as a result of this offence.

There is no indication that the story was reported by the campsite owner/operator. It is on the Dorset Police Twitter feed. so it's likely that the Echo reporter read it on there and decided to foolow it up.

I know that if I ran a B&B, hotel, camp site (or any other business) I'd be glad of the tip-off, and delighted to have an opportunity to put this scumbag in his place.
Exactly. Thank you. Once realised what the guy was capable of and been convicted of before that's why the campsite owner felt the need to report that he had been staying there, to alert others. The theft itself was irrelevant. However, when it was discovered he had conned a woman in her 80's amongst other things, then yes, think it is valid to let the police know he was around.
[quote][p][bold]JackJohnson[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rantover4now[/bold] wrote: Why is it that the imbeciles who respond to stories cannot look beyond the end of their noses and see the bigger picture? Ok, so you don't have the full story via the Echo's reporting here, but seriously? The reason it was reported to the police by the owners is because it was discovered that this was a conman wanted by the police and therefore to warn other establishments of his antics. So, yes he is known to do this kind of thing to B and B's also, hence why it is mentioned. It matters not what he owes, that is not the reason it was reported - a lot more than that has been taken by theiving scumbags over the years that has gone unreported. It was reported as he is a wanted criminal. How narrowminded you people are. If you don't want to read stories that are irrelevant to you - then DON'T! The owner merely reported to warn others, if this does not include you, don't read it! No one forced you to. Just because you have no decency, don't mock those that do still have decent, honest, trustworthy morals. None of you know the full story and have no basis of fact on which to comment. If the echo and police chose to report this story in the way they did, well that's up to them, but no one can hold the owner to blame for wishing to pass on the information for others to be aware. To everyone who bothered to respond with your playground uneducated thoughts, bless you for taking the time out of your amazingly busy, fruitful and rewarding lives to comment on such a worthless story! Hope nothing ever happens to you and your perfect lives.[/p][/quote]There is no indication in the story, as reported, that the man was wanted prior to this incident. My interpretation is that he is wanted as a result of this offence. There is no indication that the story was reported by the campsite owner/operator. It is on the Dorset Police Twitter feed. so it's likely that the Echo reporter read it on there and decided to foolow it up. I know that if I ran a B&B, hotel, camp site (or any other business) I'd be glad of the tip-off, and delighted to have an opportunity to put this scumbag in his place.[/p][/quote]Exactly. Thank you. Once realised what the guy was capable of and been convicted of before that's why the campsite owner felt the need to report that he had been staying there, to alert others. The theft itself was irrelevant. However, when it was discovered he had conned a woman in her 80's amongst other things, then yes, think it is valid to let the police know he was around. rantover4now
  • Score: 0

12:42pm Fri 27 Jun 14

rantover4now says...

JamesYoung wrote:
Excellent detective work though:
"I believe that this man specifically targets *Bed and Breakfast* establishments"
"the wanted man left the *campsite* "
Anyway, I don't know why we are wasting police time on something that is entirely the owners fault. I wouldn't hand over the keys to my car to somebody who didn't have the money to pay.
Doh! Not reporting to the police because of theft but because once realised he was a wanted man on crimewatch, surely that's the correct thing to do! If you check him out yourself you will see he is known for conning b and b owners too and old ladies in their 80's - but if you don't want people to be warned about that, I guess that says more about you as an individual. The theft to the campsite was irrelevant, it was reported as he is a wanted man! Hope you don't get too dizzy all up there on your high horse or worse still - fall off
[quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: Excellent detective work though: "I believe that this man specifically targets *Bed and Breakfast* establishments" "the wanted man left the *campsite* " Anyway, I don't know why we are wasting police time on something that is entirely the owners fault. I wouldn't hand over the keys to my car to somebody who didn't have the money to pay.[/p][/quote]Doh! Not reporting to the police because of theft but because once realised he was a wanted man on crimewatch, surely that's the correct thing to do! If you check him out yourself you will see he is known for conning b and b owners too and old ladies in their 80's - but if you don't want people to be warned about that, I guess that says more about you as an individual. The theft to the campsite was irrelevant, it was reported as he is a wanted man! Hope you don't get too dizzy all up there on your high horse or worse still - fall off rantover4now
  • Score: 0

1:43pm Fri 27 Jun 14

JackJohnson says...

rantover4now wrote:
JackJohnson wrote:
rantover4now wrote:
Why is it that the imbeciles who respond to stories cannot look beyond the end of their noses and see the bigger picture? Ok, so you don't have the full story via the Echo's reporting here, but seriously? The reason it was reported to the police by the owners is because it was discovered that this was a conman wanted by the police and therefore to warn other establishments of his antics. So, yes he is known to do this kind of thing to B and B's also, hence why it is mentioned. It matters not what he owes, that is not the reason it was reported - a lot more than that has been taken by theiving scumbags over the years that has gone unreported. It was reported as he is a wanted criminal. How narrowminded you people are. If you don't want to read stories that are irrelevant to you - then DON'T! The owner merely reported to warn others, if this does not include you, don't read it! No one forced you to. Just because you have no decency, don't mock those that do still have decent, honest, trustworthy morals. None of you know the full story and have no basis of fact on which to comment. If the echo and police chose to report this story in the way they did, well that's up to them, but no one can hold the owner to blame for wishing to pass on the information for others to be aware. To everyone who bothered to respond with your playground uneducated thoughts, bless you for taking the time out of your amazingly busy, fruitful and rewarding lives to comment on such a worthless story! Hope nothing ever happens to you and your perfect lives.
There is no indication in the story, as reported, that the man was wanted prior to this incident. My interpretation is that he is wanted as a result of this offence.

There is no indication that the story was reported by the campsite owner/operator. It is on the Dorset Police Twitter feed. so it's likely that the Echo reporter read it on there and decided to foolow it up.

I know that if I ran a B&B, hotel, camp site (or any other business) I'd be glad of the tip-off, and delighted to have an opportunity to put this scumbag in his place.
Exactly. Thank you. Once realised what the guy was capable of and been convicted of before that's why the campsite owner felt the need to report that he had been staying there, to alert others. The theft itself was irrelevant. However, when it was discovered he had conned a woman in her 80's amongst other things, then yes, think it is valid to let the police know he was around.
Where are you getting this from?
[quote][p][bold]rantover4now[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JackJohnson[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rantover4now[/bold] wrote: Why is it that the imbeciles who respond to stories cannot look beyond the end of their noses and see the bigger picture? Ok, so you don't have the full story via the Echo's reporting here, but seriously? The reason it was reported to the police by the owners is because it was discovered that this was a conman wanted by the police and therefore to warn other establishments of his antics. So, yes he is known to do this kind of thing to B and B's also, hence why it is mentioned. It matters not what he owes, that is not the reason it was reported - a lot more than that has been taken by theiving scumbags over the years that has gone unreported. It was reported as he is a wanted criminal. How narrowminded you people are. If you don't want to read stories that are irrelevant to you - then DON'T! The owner merely reported to warn others, if this does not include you, don't read it! No one forced you to. Just because you have no decency, don't mock those that do still have decent, honest, trustworthy morals. None of you know the full story and have no basis of fact on which to comment. If the echo and police chose to report this story in the way they did, well that's up to them, but no one can hold the owner to blame for wishing to pass on the information for others to be aware. To everyone who bothered to respond with your playground uneducated thoughts, bless you for taking the time out of your amazingly busy, fruitful and rewarding lives to comment on such a worthless story! Hope nothing ever happens to you and your perfect lives.[/p][/quote]There is no indication in the story, as reported, that the man was wanted prior to this incident. My interpretation is that he is wanted as a result of this offence. There is no indication that the story was reported by the campsite owner/operator. It is on the Dorset Police Twitter feed. so it's likely that the Echo reporter read it on there and decided to foolow it up. I know that if I ran a B&B, hotel, camp site (or any other business) I'd be glad of the tip-off, and delighted to have an opportunity to put this scumbag in his place.[/p][/quote]Exactly. Thank you. Once realised what the guy was capable of and been convicted of before that's why the campsite owner felt the need to report that he had been staying there, to alert others. The theft itself was irrelevant. However, when it was discovered he had conned a woman in her 80's amongst other things, then yes, think it is valid to let the police know he was around.[/p][/quote]Where are you getting this from? JackJohnson
  • Score: 0

3:21pm Fri 27 Jun 14

rantover4now says...

People who have the sense to research things before posting nonsense comments and upsetting good hardworking decent people
People who have the sense to research things before posting nonsense comments and upsetting good hardworking decent people rantover4now
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree