FIREFIGHTERS were called after a fire sparked at a West Dorset barn containing 100 tonnes of hay.
Crews from Bridport and Charmouth attended to the scene at a farm in Marshwood, near Charmouth, in the early hours of this morning, Friday July 11.
The farmer helped crews by using a tractor to help remove some of the hay bales from the barn.
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service were alerted at around 5am.
A service spokesperson said: "The cause of the fire was believed to be spontaneous combustion - hay can get damp and quite hot in the process when it is compacted together.
"A total of 100 hay bales were damaged and four fire engines attended the incident."