PORTLAND coastguard centre helps jetskiers in trouble.

At 5.38pm on Wednesday, portland Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre recieved a 999 call about a jetskier who had gone out from Bowleaze Cove heading towards Durdle Door but which had not returned when expected.

Lulworth coastguard rescue officers were sent to search the shoreline, while Wkye coastguards, Portland coastguard helicopter and Weymouth’s lifeboats kept a sharp lookout during their exercise at Bowleaze Cove.

The Wyke team found the craft Osmington activity centre. The rider had had mechanical problems and paddled ashore.

Weymouth’s inshore lifeboat was sent to recover the rider and jetski and provided a tow back to the slipway.

At 6.50pm coastguards received a report of a jetski aground near Rockley Park, Poole. Coastguards made a call for assistance from vessels in the area and Maritime Volunteer Service patrol boat 'Tom Sherrin' responded and went to help.

However, within that time the jetskier had managed to refloat his craft and was reported to be heading towards Brownsea Island.

At 6.55pm coastguards were alerted to an overdue jetskier in Poole Harbour, whilst investigating, Dorset Police called to confirm the rider was safe and well ashore, but had needed to land in another area due to the state of the tide.

Just after 7.30pm coastguards were called to investigate a report of an item of unexploded ordnance on the beach at Redcliffe Point, Swanage. Nothing was found, and a further search is to be made at low tide on today. (31) Just before 10pm Southbourne coastguards were called to search between Mudeford spit and Sandbanks for a missing 72 year old female suffering from severe dementia who had not been seen for several hours.

The lady was later located safe and well by police near Alum Chine.

Just before 11.30pm Wyke coastguards were called to a report of an intoxicated man who had fallen on an embankment on the coast at Ringstead and was not responding to calls. The male was located safe and well by police units on scene and the coastguards stood down.