Stay safe during week of firefighters' strikes

FIRE CHIEF: Darran Gunter

CALL OUT: Firefighters tackle a barn blaze

First published in News Dorset Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

RESIDENTS are being urged to take extra care ahead of another set of firefighters’ strikes.

Industrial action will take place every day from this Saturday to Saturday, August 16 from 12pm to 2pm and 10.59pm to 11.59pm.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service will be providing a reduced emergency response during the Fire Brigades Union strikes.

The authority is asking for residents to be mindful that action is taking place and protect themselves at home, on the roads and at outdoor spaces.

Darran Gunter, Chief Fire Officer, said: “While the industrial action is ongoing we will still be responding to 999 calls. Our priority will be to respond to those calls where lives may be at risk or someone needs to be rescued. If we respond to non-emergency calls then those most in need, could be at risk, so please only ring 999 if a fire engine is really needed.

He added: “We are urging members of the public to take extra care to reduce the risk of a fire breaking out in their home or on our heathland. Fires can start for a variety of reasons, from cooking being left unattended, to electrical faults or careless disposal of cigarettes. The best advice we can give is for everyone to ensure they have a smoke alarm in their home and to check the battery is working at least once a week.”

The service has issued safety advice ahead of the strikes, such as ensuring smoke detectors are working properly.

Dorset Fire and Rescue will be using most of its on-call firefighters to crew around 50% of the normal amount of fire engines.

A final piece of advice from DFRS is: If you do experience a fire call 999 immediately and if you’re at home get out and stay out before you call us out!

HOW TO STAY SAFE

 

They are asking that members of the public to:

  •  Never use accelerants such as petrol on barbecues.
  • Never leave a barbeque unattended.
  • Never cook or smoke inside tents.
  • Always make sure cigarettes are properly extinguished
  • Never leave lighters or matches around – they can be a temptation to children. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, highly poisonous gas that can kill in minutes. CO poisoning can be caused by any fuel that burns or smoulders.
  • Make sure your camping light and stove are clean and properly adjusted.
  • Never take a portable barbecue – or lit charcoal – into an enclosed space like a tent or caravan. Also make sure exhaust from generators is properly vented away from occupied areas.
  • Ensure that you have a working smoke alarm in your home.
  •  Plan and test your escape routes in the event of a fire or major incident.
  • If you are out heathland or outdoor spaces, report suspicious activity to Dorset Police or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
  • Don’t overload sockets. Use one plug in one socket or use a tested ‘bar’ type of extension lead rather than a ‘block’ type of adaptor.
  • Switch off appliances at the wall when not in use.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach, preferably in a high cupboard or drawer.
  • Place candles on a heat proof holder or dish. Ensure that it is not near flammable items such as wallpaper, curtains, nets etc. Never place candles on top of TV or DVD sets. These are highly combustible.
  • Never leave cooking unattended to answer the phone, pop to the shops etc. Always turn it off.
  • Do not smoke in bed. Ensure that all smoking materials are extinguished.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree