Traffic queues after car hits lamppost

Car crashes in to lamppost in Weymouth

Car crashes in to lamppost in Weymouth

First published in News
Last updated

A CAR hit a lamppost on Preston Road.

The crash happened at around 3pm today and two people were in the vehicle.

An eye witness said a casualty was treated at the scene by paramedics.

Dorset Police refused to comment further. They say there may be an update later. 

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:10pm Sat 30 Aug 14

shy talk says...

Should that read into lamppost, not in to.
Should that read into lamppost, not in to. shy talk
  • Score: 0

4:35pm Sat 30 Aug 14

westbaywonder says...

A saturday afternoon fender bender . Nice!
A saturday afternoon fender bender . Nice! westbaywonder
  • Score: -2

5:29pm Sat 30 Aug 14

thebrain says...

I do not know another town of similar size to have as any RTC`s as this Borough.
Some may blame very poor basically stupid traffic layout and poor infrastructure.
Some too many people too old to drive on today` s roads.
Some may think everyone is in a hurry.
All these RTC` s put up residents car insurance premiums.
So drive in accordance to speed limits, no phones with eyes open often helps.
I do not know another town of similar size to have as any RTC`s as this Borough. Some may blame very poor basically stupid traffic layout and poor infrastructure. Some too many people too old to drive on today` s roads. Some may think everyone is in a hurry. All these RTC` s put up residents car insurance premiums. So drive in accordance to speed limits, no phones with eyes open often helps. thebrain
  • Score: 6

6:28pm Sat 30 Aug 14

ksmain says...

thebrain wrote:
I do not know another town of similar size to have as any RTC`s as this Borough.
Some may blame very poor basically stupid traffic layout and poor infrastructure.
Some too many people too old to drive on today` s roads.
Some may think everyone is in a hurry.
All these RTC` s put up residents car insurance premiums.
So drive in accordance to speed limits, no phones with eyes open often helps.
It's because we are a holiday resort - so we don't only have to put up with the resident idiots - we get the imported ones as well.
[quote][p][bold]thebrain[/bold] wrote: I do not know another town of similar size to have as any RTC`s as this Borough. Some may blame very poor basically stupid traffic layout and poor infrastructure. Some too many people too old to drive on today` s roads. Some may think everyone is in a hurry. All these RTC` s put up residents car insurance premiums. So drive in accordance to speed limits, no phones with eyes open often helps.[/p][/quote]It's because we are a holiday resort - so we don't only have to put up with the resident idiots - we get the imported ones as well. ksmain
  • Score: 38

6:57pm Sat 30 Aug 14

35vulcan35 says...

The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.
The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset. 35vulcan35
  • Score: 43

7:00pm Sat 30 Aug 14

35vulcan35 says...

3rd line should read "overtaking unsafely" - sorry !
3rd line should read "overtaking unsafely" - sorry ! 35vulcan35
  • Score: 2

7:30pm Sat 30 Aug 14

peskykat says...

Impatient drivers never cease to amaze me - only this afternoon we were on our way back into Weymouth Town Centre after leaving Bagwell Car boot and the car in front of us overtook the car and caravan in front of him or her leaving just inches between the oncoming traffic and their selves .
Impatient drivers never cease to amaze me - only this afternoon we were on our way back into Weymouth Town Centre after leaving Bagwell Car boot and the car in front of us overtook the car and caravan in front of him or her leaving just inches between the oncoming traffic and their selves . peskykat
  • Score: 28

7:45pm Sat 30 Aug 14

Caption Sensible says...

35vulcan35 wrote:
The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.
Ban all drivers, it's the only way...
[quote][p][bold]35vulcan35[/bold] wrote: The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.[/p][/quote]Ban all drivers, it's the only way... Caption Sensible
  • Score: -3

10:58pm Sat 30 Aug 14

whatever66 says...

35vulcan35 wrote:
The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.
Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.
[quote][p][bold]35vulcan35[/bold] wrote: The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.[/p][/quote]Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road. whatever66
  • Score: -17

12:59am Sun 31 Aug 14

ksmain says...

whatever66 wrote:
35vulcan35 wrote:
The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.
Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.
You know the sad thing is that I think you actually believe the rubbish you have just written above.

Being from this small town, I have driven in many larger ones, and the standard of driving is no better - in fact people are just as ignorant and do just as stupid things on the roads. Perhaps being larger, there is more news to report, so the stupid road incidents are less news-worthy. I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required.

And to clear up another stupid point you made above - the reason most accidents happen to involve people from Dorset is probably because THEY LIVE HERE ALL THE TIME - and not just for 2 weeks holiday or to visit their holiday home.
[quote][p][bold]whatever66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]35vulcan35[/bold] wrote: The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.[/p][/quote]Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.[/p][/quote]You know the sad thing is that I think you actually believe the rubbish you have just written above. Being from this small town, I have driven in many larger ones, and the standard of driving is no better - in fact people are just as ignorant and do just as stupid things on the roads. Perhaps being larger, there is more news to report, so the stupid road incidents are less news-worthy. I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. And to clear up another stupid point you made above - the reason most accidents happen to involve people from Dorset is probably because THEY LIVE HERE ALL THE TIME - and not just for 2 weeks holiday or to visit their holiday home. ksmain
  • Score: 16

11:17am Sun 31 Aug 14

whatever66 says...

ksmain wrote:
whatever66 wrote:
35vulcan35 wrote:
The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.
Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.
You know the sad thing is that I think you actually believe the rubbish you have just written above.

Being from this small town, I have driven in many larger ones, and the standard of driving is no better - in fact people are just as ignorant and do just as stupid things on the roads. Perhaps being larger, there is more news to report, so the stupid road incidents are less news-worthy. I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required.

And to clear up another stupid point you made above - the reason most accidents happen to involve people from Dorset is probably because THEY LIVE HERE ALL THE TIME - and not just for 2 weeks holiday or to visit their holiday home.
I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. I am also from here and I have also driven in all situations and for you to say different driving skills are required goes to show your stupidity The same driving skills should be applied to all highway roads they are no different here from Yeovil but we don't see Yeovil in the paper on a regular basis Nor do we see Bridport. The point I was making was all the accidents was by Local people and there lack of Driving Skills, they do live here all year long and should no the roads better as they are not on holiday. They seem to be missing the obvious point of Mirror signal manoeuver and more importantly the lack of the Highway Code. I do think Driving test should be sat in bigger towns ie Bournemouth and Poole as I think driving on busy roads gives them a bit more practical experience and I also think they should have a day's course controlling the car off road in different conditions ie wet roads, mud on roads (like mud coming down the banks on to roads) to show the different kinds of braking conditions.
[quote][p][bold]ksmain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whatever66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]35vulcan35[/bold] wrote: The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.[/p][/quote]Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.[/p][/quote]You know the sad thing is that I think you actually believe the rubbish you have just written above. Being from this small town, I have driven in many larger ones, and the standard of driving is no better - in fact people are just as ignorant and do just as stupid things on the roads. Perhaps being larger, there is more news to report, so the stupid road incidents are less news-worthy. I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. And to clear up another stupid point you made above - the reason most accidents happen to involve people from Dorset is probably because THEY LIVE HERE ALL THE TIME - and not just for 2 weeks holiday or to visit their holiday home.[/p][/quote]I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. I am also from here and I have also driven in all situations and for you to say different driving skills are required goes to show your stupidity The same driving skills should be applied to all highway roads they are no different here from Yeovil but we don't see Yeovil in the paper on a regular basis Nor do we see Bridport. The point I was making was all the accidents was by Local people and there lack of Driving Skills, they do live here all year long and should no the roads better as they are not on holiday. They seem to be missing the obvious point of Mirror signal manoeuver and more importantly the lack of the Highway Code. I do think Driving test should be sat in bigger towns ie Bournemouth and Poole as I think driving on busy roads gives them a bit more practical experience and I also think they should have a day's course controlling the car off road in different conditions ie wet roads, mud on roads (like mud coming down the banks on to roads) to show the different kinds of braking conditions. whatever66
  • Score: 0

11:47am Sun 31 Aug 14

ksmain says...

whatever66 wrote:
ksmain wrote:
whatever66 wrote:
35vulcan35 wrote:
The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.
Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.
You know the sad thing is that I think you actually believe the rubbish you have just written above.

Being from this small town, I have driven in many larger ones, and the standard of driving is no better - in fact people are just as ignorant and do just as stupid things on the roads. Perhaps being larger, there is more news to report, so the stupid road incidents are less news-worthy. I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required.

And to clear up another stupid point you made above - the reason most accidents happen to involve people from Dorset is probably because THEY LIVE HERE ALL THE TIME - and not just for 2 weeks holiday or to visit their holiday home.
I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. I am also from here and I have also driven in all situations and for you to say different driving skills are required goes to show your stupidity The same driving skills should be applied to all highway roads they are no different here from Yeovil but we don't see Yeovil in the paper on a regular basis Nor do we see Bridport. The point I was making was all the accidents was by Local people and there lack of Driving Skills, they do live here all year long and should no the roads better as they are not on holiday. They seem to be missing the obvious point of Mirror signal manoeuver and more importantly the lack of the Highway Code. I do think Driving test should be sat in bigger towns ie Bournemouth and Poole as I think driving on busy roads gives them a bit more practical experience and I also think they should have a day's course controlling the car off road in different conditions ie wet roads, mud on roads (like mud coming down the banks on to roads) to show the different kinds of braking conditions.
Well - having worked in various locations - The idiocy is no different elsewhere. According to your theory then, a person would have to have lessons in virtually every part of the country and in every type of condition to reach an acceptable driving standard. That is just not practical.

You can teach a person basic skills, but to adapt to situations takes time and practice after a driving test. And it is irrelevant to where you live. For example, motorway driving - most people may have no experience of it in areas of the country where there aren't any - so how do you get them to one to include it in a driving test given that at some point all of us are likely to drive on one? And having been witness to some of those who drive on the M25, M3 and the M5 who may well use it every day - tailgating, speeding, pulling over from the fast lane to an exit in a few yards, continual lane changing when there are queues - I would suggest they need a few more lessons as well to correct their poor driving practices.

I am afraid I don't think your argument holds any water - as it is down to the individual how good or poor they are, which is indeterminent to where they live and more to do with their state of mind.
[quote][p][bold]whatever66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ksmain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whatever66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]35vulcan35[/bold] wrote: The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.[/p][/quote]Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.[/p][/quote]You know the sad thing is that I think you actually believe the rubbish you have just written above. Being from this small town, I have driven in many larger ones, and the standard of driving is no better - in fact people are just as ignorant and do just as stupid things on the roads. Perhaps being larger, there is more news to report, so the stupid road incidents are less news-worthy. I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. And to clear up another stupid point you made above - the reason most accidents happen to involve people from Dorset is probably because THEY LIVE HERE ALL THE TIME - and not just for 2 weeks holiday or to visit their holiday home.[/p][/quote]I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. I am also from here and I have also driven in all situations and for you to say different driving skills are required goes to show your stupidity The same driving skills should be applied to all highway roads they are no different here from Yeovil but we don't see Yeovil in the paper on a regular basis Nor do we see Bridport. The point I was making was all the accidents was by Local people and there lack of Driving Skills, they do live here all year long and should no the roads better as they are not on holiday. They seem to be missing the obvious point of Mirror signal manoeuver and more importantly the lack of the Highway Code. I do think Driving test should be sat in bigger towns ie Bournemouth and Poole as I think driving on busy roads gives them a bit more practical experience and I also think they should have a day's course controlling the car off road in different conditions ie wet roads, mud on roads (like mud coming down the banks on to roads) to show the different kinds of braking conditions.[/p][/quote]Well - having worked in various locations - The idiocy is no different elsewhere. According to your theory then, a person would have to have lessons in virtually every part of the country and in every type of condition to reach an acceptable driving standard. That is just not practical. You can teach a person basic skills, but to adapt to situations takes time and practice after a driving test. And it is irrelevant to where you live. For example, motorway driving - most people may have no experience of it in areas of the country where there aren't any - so how do you get them to one to include it in a driving test given that at some point all of us are likely to drive on one? And having been witness to some of those who drive on the M25, M3 and the M5 who may well use it every day - tailgating, speeding, pulling over from the fast lane to an exit in a few yards, continual lane changing when there are queues - I would suggest they need a few more lessons as well to correct their poor driving practices. I am afraid I don't think your argument holds any water - as it is down to the individual how good or poor they are, which is indeterminent to where they live and more to do with their state of mind. ksmain
  • Score: 1

12:19pm Sun 31 Aug 14

killerkelly1980 says...

whatever66 wrote:
ksmain wrote:
whatever66 wrote:
35vulcan35 wrote:
The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.
Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.
You know the sad thing is that I think you actually believe the rubbish you have just written above.

Being from this small town, I have driven in many larger ones, and the standard of driving is no better - in fact people are just as ignorant and do just as stupid things on the roads. Perhaps being larger, there is more news to report, so the stupid road incidents are less news-worthy. I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required.

And to clear up another stupid point you made above - the reason most accidents happen to involve people from Dorset is probably because THEY LIVE HERE ALL THE TIME - and not just for 2 weeks holiday or to visit their holiday home.
I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. I am also from here and I have also driven in all situations and for you to say different driving skills are required goes to show your stupidity The same driving skills should be applied to all highway roads they are no different here from Yeovil but we don't see Yeovil in the paper on a regular basis Nor do we see Bridport. The point I was making was all the accidents was by Local people and there lack of Driving Skills, they do live here all year long and should no the roads better as they are not on holiday. They seem to be missing the obvious point of Mirror signal manoeuver and more importantly the lack of the Highway Code. I do think Driving test should be sat in bigger towns ie Bournemouth and Poole as I think driving on busy roads gives them a bit more practical experience and I also think they should have a day's course controlling the car off road in different conditions ie wet roads, mud on roads (like mud coming down the banks on to roads) to show the different kinds of braking conditions.
That's because its the DORSET Echo!! Why would Yeovil be in the DORSET Echo??
[quote][p][bold]whatever66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ksmain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whatever66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]35vulcan35[/bold] wrote: The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.[/p][/quote]Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.[/p][/quote]You know the sad thing is that I think you actually believe the rubbish you have just written above. Being from this small town, I have driven in many larger ones, and the standard of driving is no better - in fact people are just as ignorant and do just as stupid things on the roads. Perhaps being larger, there is more news to report, so the stupid road incidents are less news-worthy. I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. And to clear up another stupid point you made above - the reason most accidents happen to involve people from Dorset is probably because THEY LIVE HERE ALL THE TIME - and not just for 2 weeks holiday or to visit their holiday home.[/p][/quote]I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. I am also from here and I have also driven in all situations and for you to say different driving skills are required goes to show your stupidity The same driving skills should be applied to all highway roads they are no different here from Yeovil but we don't see Yeovil in the paper on a regular basis Nor do we see Bridport. The point I was making was all the accidents was by Local people and there lack of Driving Skills, they do live here all year long and should no the roads better as they are not on holiday. They seem to be missing the obvious point of Mirror signal manoeuver and more importantly the lack of the Highway Code. I do think Driving test should be sat in bigger towns ie Bournemouth and Poole as I think driving on busy roads gives them a bit more practical experience and I also think they should have a day's course controlling the car off road in different conditions ie wet roads, mud on roads (like mud coming down the banks on to roads) to show the different kinds of braking conditions.[/p][/quote]That's because its the DORSET Echo!! Why would Yeovil be in the DORSET Echo?? killerkelly1980
  • Score: 8

12:31pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Portlandgary says...

whatever66 wrote:
35vulcan35 wrote:
The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.
Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.
Perhaps if you looked in the local papers from , London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester, or any other location you would actually see people local to the said areas being mentioned in accidents.
I would dare to say that it would be very unlikely that an accident happening in Manchester, London or Bristol would involve someone from Dorset. Your comment is totally pointless.
[quote][p][bold]whatever66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]35vulcan35[/bold] wrote: The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.[/p][/quote]Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.[/p][/quote]Perhaps if you looked in the local papers from , London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester, or any other location you would actually see people local to the said areas being mentioned in accidents. I would dare to say that it would be very unlikely that an accident happening in Manchester, London or Bristol would involve someone from Dorset. Your comment is totally pointless. Portlandgary
  • Score: 3

1:22pm Sun 31 Aug 14

caapprentice says...

whatever66 says... I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass.

Perhaps you would tell us where exactly in the Highway Code or other rules regulating driving it says that flashing headlights at a vehicle in front of yours makes it mandatory for them to pull over?
whatever66 says... I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. Perhaps you would tell us where exactly in the Highway Code or other rules regulating driving it says that flashing headlights at a vehicle in front of yours makes it mandatory for them to pull over? caapprentice
  • Score: 11

1:39pm Sun 31 Aug 14

whatever66 says...

caapprentice wrote:
whatever66 says... I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass.

Perhaps you would tell us where exactly in the Highway Code or other rules regulating driving it says that flashing headlights at a vehicle in front of yours makes it mandatory for them to pull over?
If the idiot in front of me was using there mirrors they would see a flashing blue light hence I flash to get them to move over because they haven't its called common sense to let an Ambulance, Fire Engine or Police car Pass as they are obviously in a hurry to get somewhere important ie Medical emergency, Fire or crime....... which I think is more important than being late meeting my friend for a cuppa of doing my shopping but obviously you have other values regarding these situations you obviously think your really important.
[quote][p][bold]caapprentice[/bold] wrote: whatever66 says... I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. Perhaps you would tell us where exactly in the Highway Code or other rules regulating driving it says that flashing headlights at a vehicle in front of yours makes it mandatory for them to pull over?[/p][/quote]If the idiot in front of me was using there mirrors they would see a flashing blue light hence I flash to get them to move over because they haven't its called common sense to let an Ambulance, Fire Engine or Police car Pass as they are obviously in a hurry to get somewhere important ie Medical emergency, Fire or crime....... which I think is more important than being late meeting my friend for a cuppa of doing my shopping but obviously you have other values regarding these situations you obviously think your really important. whatever66
  • Score: 6

1:47pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Portlandgary says...

Just checked the Highway Code online and found this.

General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158)

110
Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

111
Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.
Just checked the Highway Code online and found this. General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158) 110 Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users. 111 Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully. Portlandgary
  • Score: 5

1:47pm Sun 31 Aug 14

caapprentice says...

whatever66
You never said that you were driving an emergency vehicle.
I agree that vehicles should move over for emergency vehicles but why do you think that morons who fail to see an emergency vehicles flashing blue lights will see flashing headlights?
whatever66 You never said that you were driving an emergency vehicle. I agree that vehicles should move over for emergency vehicles but why do you think that morons who fail to see an emergency vehicles flashing blue lights will see flashing headlights? caapprentice
  • Score: 5

1:51pm Sun 31 Aug 14

whatever66 says...

ksmain wrote:
whatever66 wrote:
ksmain wrote:
whatever66 wrote:
35vulcan35 wrote:
The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.
Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.
You know the sad thing is that I think you actually believe the rubbish you have just written above.

Being from this small town, I have driven in many larger ones, and the standard of driving is no better - in fact people are just as ignorant and do just as stupid things on the roads. Perhaps being larger, there is more news to report, so the stupid road incidents are less news-worthy. I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required.

And to clear up another stupid point you made above - the reason most accidents happen to involve people from Dorset is probably because THEY LIVE HERE ALL THE TIME - and not just for 2 weeks holiday or to visit their holiday home.
I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. I am also from here and I have also driven in all situations and for you to say different driving skills are required goes to show your stupidity The same driving skills should be applied to all highway roads they are no different here from Yeovil but we don't see Yeovil in the paper on a regular basis Nor do we see Bridport. The point I was making was all the accidents was by Local people and there lack of Driving Skills, they do live here all year long and should no the roads better as they are not on holiday. They seem to be missing the obvious point of Mirror signal manoeuver and more importantly the lack of the Highway Code. I do think Driving test should be sat in bigger towns ie Bournemouth and Poole as I think driving on busy roads gives them a bit more practical experience and I also think they should have a day's course controlling the car off road in different conditions ie wet roads, mud on roads (like mud coming down the banks on to roads) to show the different kinds of braking conditions.
Well - having worked in various locations - The idiocy is no different elsewhere. According to your theory then, a person would have to have lessons in virtually every part of the country and in every type of condition to reach an acceptable driving standard. That is just not practical.

You can teach a person basic skills, but to adapt to situations takes time and practice after a driving test. And it is irrelevant to where you live. For example, motorway driving - most people may have no experience of it in areas of the country where there aren't any - so how do you get them to one to include it in a driving test given that at some point all of us are likely to drive on one? And having been witness to some of those who drive on the M25, M3 and the M5 who may well use it every day - tailgating, speeding, pulling over from the fast lane to an exit in a few yards, continual lane changing when there are queues - I would suggest they need a few more lessons as well to correct their poor driving practices.

I am afraid I don't think your argument holds any water - as it is down to the individual how good or poor they are, which is indeterminent to where they live and more to do with their state of mind.
I would suggest they need a few more lessons as well to correct their poor driving practices........ as it is down to the individual how good or poor they are........ You can teach a person basic skills, but to adapt to situations takes time and practice after a driving test, I actually agree with what you have written here.... I don't think a 25 minutes test is adequate I think they should be made to go out to a driving centre as with lorry and bus training centres and do skid pans etc make them aware of these situations.... As for motorway Driving they are looking at making it part of the driving test so should make for safer driving all round. i.e a separate test :-)
[quote][p][bold]ksmain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whatever66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ksmain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whatever66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]35vulcan35[/bold] wrote: The problems are drivers. There is no reason for anyone to crash into a lamppost on Preston road, unless suddenly taken ill at the wheel. The reason for the vast majority of crashes on Dorset's roads are impatient drivers tailgating, speeding, overtaking in safely, jumping traffic lights, cutting-up etc, just to save a few seconds. All very pathetic. These diseases started in London and have now infected Dorset.[/p][/quote]Your right the problem are the drivers. I have not seen one report to say that a person from London, Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester or any other location other than Dorset being involved in these accidents so this tell me that Dorset Drivers need to go and re take there tests and brush up on there highway code. To say that these problems started in London and have now infected Dorset is a load of bull people learning to drive in major cities are more equipped in the art of clutch control, Traffic build up and traffic emerging from any direction, using there mirrors frequently so as too allow emergency services through, unlike the drivers of Dorset who have channel vision and look no further than the end of there noses, they certainly are not aware of what is behind them for a lot of them don't use there rear view mirrors no matter how many times they are flashed to move over to let one pass, I know i don't know how many times i have flashed vehicles in front to pull over to let them pass. The problem is people learning to drive in little towns have less driving skills, I think everyone who drives should learn to drive in built up areas such as Poole and Bournemouth in all kinds of weathers. bikers are made to take 3 separate pratical test's to ride a bike to make sure they are competent riders, car drivers have to sit one maybe they should be made off road situations like bus drivers etc do to show there competency in different situations before being allowed out on the road.[/p][/quote]You know the sad thing is that I think you actually believe the rubbish you have just written above. Being from this small town, I have driven in many larger ones, and the standard of driving is no better - in fact people are just as ignorant and do just as stupid things on the roads. Perhaps being larger, there is more news to report, so the stupid road incidents are less news-worthy. I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. And to clear up another stupid point you made above - the reason most accidents happen to involve people from Dorset is probably because THEY LIVE HERE ALL THE TIME - and not just for 2 weeks holiday or to visit their holiday home.[/p][/quote]I don't know how you can compare driving skills in larger towns with smaller ones - different driving skills are required. I am also from here and I have also driven in all situations and for you to say different driving skills are required goes to show your stupidity The same driving skills should be applied to all highway roads they are no different here from Yeovil but we don't see Yeovil in the paper on a regular basis Nor do we see Bridport. The point I was making was all the accidents was by Local people and there lack of Driving Skills, they do live here all year long and should no the roads better as they are not on holiday. They seem to be missing the obvious point of Mirror signal manoeuver and more importantly the lack of the Highway Code. I do think Driving test should be sat in bigger towns ie Bournemouth and Poole as I think driving on busy roads gives them a bit more practical experience and I also think they should have a day's course controlling the car off road in different conditions ie wet roads, mud on roads (like mud coming down the banks on to roads) to show the different kinds of braking conditions.[/p][/quote]Well - having worked in various locations - The idiocy is no different elsewhere. According to your theory then, a person would have to have lessons in virtually every part of the country and in every type of condition to reach an acceptable driving standard. That is just not practical. You can teach a person basic skills, but to adapt to situations takes time and practice after a driving test. And it is irrelevant to where you live. For example, motorway driving - most people may have no experience of it in areas of the country where there aren't any - so how do you get them to one to include it in a driving test given that at some point all of us are likely to drive on one? And having been witness to some of those who drive on the M25, M3 and the M5 who may well use it every day - tailgating, speeding, pulling over from the fast lane to an exit in a few yards, continual lane changing when there are queues - I would suggest they need a few more lessons as well to correct their poor driving practices. I am afraid I don't think your argument holds any water - as it is down to the individual how good or poor they are, which is indeterminent to where they live and more to do with their state of mind.[/p][/quote]I would suggest they need a few more lessons as well to correct their poor driving practices........ as it is down to the individual how good or poor they are........ You can teach a person basic skills, but to adapt to situations takes time and practice after a driving test, I actually agree with what you have written here.... I don't think a 25 minutes test is adequate I think they should be made to go out to a driving centre as with lorry and bus training centres and do skid pans etc make them aware of these situations.... As for motorway Driving they are looking at making it part of the driving test so should make for safer driving all round. i.e a separate test :-) whatever66
  • Score: 1

7:24pm Sun 31 Aug 14

NearlyLocal says...

caapprentice wrote:
whatever66
You never said that you were driving an emergency vehicle.
I agree that vehicles should move over for emergency vehicles but why do you think that morons who fail to see an emergency vehicles flashing blue lights will see flashing headlights?
He didn't say he was driving an emergency vehicle, just that he had seen one approaching and was trying to warn other motorists
[quote][p][bold]caapprentice[/bold] wrote: whatever66 You never said that you were driving an emergency vehicle. I agree that vehicles should move over for emergency vehicles but why do you think that morons who fail to see an emergency vehicles flashing blue lights will see flashing headlights?[/p][/quote]He didn't say he was driving an emergency vehicle, just that he had seen one approaching and was trying to warn other motorists NearlyLocal
  • Score: 1

9:15pm Sun 31 Aug 14

connie68 says...

Bet the driver was in their 80's...
Bet the driver was in their 80's... connie68
  • Score: -1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree