Troops arrive in Weymouth and Portland to boost security

Dorset Echo: A member of the armed forces and a party of Royal Marines carrying out a security sweep prior to the Olympic Torch music concert on the beach A member of the armed forces and a party of Royal Marines carrying out a security sweep prior to the Olympic Torch music concert on the beach

TROOPS have been drafted into Weymouth and Portland to boost Olympic security after the operation run by contractor G4S descended into chaos.

The national sailing academy and Olympic village is now being patrolled by the military under full security lockdown.

It has been stressed the security operation will not be compromised and the operation will be tighter than ever.

The Echo has been told there have been security staff shortages of up to 60 per cent at the Olympic venue in Weymouth and Portland.

Amid the chaos, it is also understood that some G4S employees working at the sailing venue were told not to go into work at the weekend as they did not have the right documentation.

The news comes after it emerged the national contractor G4S, the world’s biggest private security company, has failed to train enough security staff to cover the Olympics, forcing the military to provide 3,500 servicemen to secure venues around the country. In some cases employees had yet to receive training, uniforms or work rotas.

G4S boss Nick Buckles has apologised for the blunder.

The Ministry of Defence would not confirm how many troops are in Weymouth and Portland – but military personnel including Royal Marines have been spotted patrolling the sailing academy.

Royal Marines were also seen on Weymouth Beach doing security sweeps before the Olympic Torch concert on Thursday night.

The G4S chaos does not involve local security firms which have Olympic comtracts.

In some areas of the county, police officers have been drafted in to boost security but the Dorset Police Federation said this has not happened locally.

Chairman Clive Chamberlain said: “It’s an absolute mess. G4S was contracted to provide a certain number of security staff each day and they have failed to do this.

“It’s been chaos. It’s an absolute disgrace. On some days in Weymouth and Portland there has been a staff shortage of 59 per cent and the best they have managed is 85 per cent turning up.

“It’s like a lottery of staff numbers each day and they haven’t met their target once.”

He added: “In Dorset, police aren’t covering and the security hasn’t been compromised.

“In a way I think this has made the operation here safer because they are using military professionals now who will be better than G4S staff. The biggest worry now is that they will suddenly recruit staff that will be untrained.

“There’s only two weeks before the Games and they are in this awful position.

“I’ve got every confidence that Dorset Police and the military will deliver in spite of what G4S has done. I would prefer the military providing the security in the first place because they’re real professionals.”

Councillor Sylvia Bradley, Portland Town Mayor, said: “I’m disgusted. Safety is essential to the people of the island and obviously in Weymouth.

“I’m shocked by it.

“They have had four years to sort it out and they still haven’t got it right and we’re only a fortnight away.

“I can’t see them putting it right in the two weeks we’ve got left and again our great military service is having to come in and save the day.”

South Dorset MP Richard Drax said: “Clearly something has gone wrong and whether the government and LOCOG has kept a close enough eye on this company is a question that will have to be asked after the Games. It’s regrettable that the military has had to be brought in, especially when some have just come back from Afghanistan and were due to have a well-earned break.”

The father of a G4S employee at the sailing village said his son and other staff had been contacted on Friday night and told not to turn up for work because they didn’t have the ‘proper passes’ and wouldn’t be allowed in.

The man, who wanted to remain anonymous, said his son had been working there for two months without any problems.

He said: “They were recently issued with new uniforms.

“Now they’re being told not to come into work.

“The situation is ridiculous; I’m disgusted at the way they’ve been treated.”

Company's 'working extremely hard' to get staff up to speed

A spokesman for G4S said: “We have encountered some challenges in what is a very complex security, recruitment and deployment exercise.

“There have been delays in progressing applicants through the final stages but we are working extremely hard to process these as swiftly as possible. We have made very significant progress – we already have nearly 4,000 people at work across 100 venues. “We currently have over 9,000 additional people going through the final stages of the required extensive training, vetting and accreditation process.

“We understand the government’s decision to bring in additional resources and will work with LOCOG, the military and other agencies to deliver a safe and secure Games.”

Referring to the security guards who have been told not to turn up for work, the spokesman said: “I’m afraid I don’t know the detail here, but clearly as we’re getting closer to the Games security is uppermost and everyone has to have the correct accreditation from LOCOG.”

• On a separate issue, G4S confirmed that a security worker at the Weymouth and Portland site had been sacked in connection with allegations of unlawful conduct at the venue.

The spokesman said: “We can confirm that a member of staff who was based at the Weymouth venue was questioned by police last week in connection with allegations of unlawful conduct at the venue. The member of staff is no longer part of the G4S 2012 workforce.”

Dorset Police said a man was spoken to at Portland but no arrests were made.

Comments (46)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:44am Mon 16 Jul 12

grumpyoldmen says...

While G4s failing needs to be recognised ,I am amazed that the rest of the world is being told that we are failing in security for the games.If anyone was planning anything ,they now know that there is little security anywhere as this has been broadcast around the world.What happened to discretion?
While G4s failing needs to be recognised ,I am amazed that the rest of the world is being told that we are failing in security for the games.If anyone was planning anything ,they now know that there is little security anywhere as this has been broadcast around the world.What happened to discretion? grumpyoldmen
  • Score: 0

11:46am Mon 16 Jul 12

ManOnTheSilverMountain says...

There is much more going on here, rumors are rife as to what happened at the academy at the recent security audit by "specialists".
There is much more going on here, rumors are rife as to what happened at the academy at the recent security audit by "specialists". ManOnTheSilverMountain
  • Score: 0

12:32pm Mon 16 Jul 12

CharlieBarley says...

grumpyoldmen wrote:
While G4s failing needs to be recognised ,I am amazed that the rest of the world is being told that we are failing in security for the games.If anyone was planning anything ,they now know that there is little security anywhere as this has been broadcast around the world.What happened to discretion?
It may seem strange policy to publicise that security is messed up but given the choice between security being provided by vast numbers of minimally trained temporary workers and professional soldiers who is going want to try their luck against the soldiers. Bringing the army surely should give greater confidence in the overall security of the games
[quote][p][bold]grumpyoldmen[/bold] wrote: While G4s failing needs to be recognised ,I am amazed that the rest of the world is being told that we are failing in security for the games.If anyone was planning anything ,they now know that there is little security anywhere as this has been broadcast around the world.What happened to discretion?[/p][/quote]It may seem strange policy to publicise that security is messed up but given the choice between security being provided by vast numbers of minimally trained temporary workers and professional soldiers who is going want to try their luck against the soldiers. Bringing the army surely should give greater confidence in the overall security of the games CharlieBarley
  • Score: 0

12:55pm Mon 16 Jul 12

585 says...

Under the photo it says 'A member of the armed forces and a party of Royal Marines carrying out a security sweep'.
Since when have the Royal Marines not been part of our armed forces?
They look as they are just having a chat in the photo.
I feel sorry for these guys, I hope their accommodation and food arrangements are really decent.
Under the photo it says 'A member of the armed forces and a party of Royal Marines carrying out a security sweep'. Since when have the Royal Marines not been part of our armed forces? They look as they are just having a chat in the photo. I feel sorry for these guys, I hope their accommodation and food arrangements are really decent. 585
  • Score: 0

1:46pm Mon 16 Jul 12

Tim4wfc says...

A family member, SIA qualified, attended a series of G4S interviews in Shepherd's Bush and was recommended for employment at the Olympics. Then, probably like thousands of others, he heard nothing. Yesterday he travelled to UDAC in East London to sort out his accreditation, as his application hadn't been passed on to the relevant body. He now awaits confirmation he's on the system and he may have to return to London to collect his uniform, all at his own expense!
A family member, SIA qualified, attended a series of G4S interviews in Shepherd's Bush and was recommended for employment at the Olympics. Then, probably like thousands of others, he heard nothing. Yesterday he travelled to UDAC in East London to sort out his accreditation, as his application hadn't been passed on to the relevant body. He now awaits confirmation he's on the system and he may have to return to London to collect his uniform, all at his own expense! Tim4wfc
  • Score: 0

3:32pm Mon 16 Jul 12

shy talk says...

Me thinks the Marine to the right of the picture has had to many pies.
Me thinks the Marine to the right of the picture has had to many pies. shy talk
  • Score: 0

3:38pm Mon 16 Jul 12

jmc1 says...

shy talk wrote:
Me thinks the Marine to the right of the picture has had to many pies.
Put your picture up and lets see what we can say about you
[quote][p][bold]shy talk[/bold] wrote: Me thinks the Marine to the right of the picture has had to many pies.[/p][/quote]Put your picture up and lets see what we can say about you jmc1
  • Score: 0

3:38pm Mon 16 Jul 12

stench says...

Students or the forces...

I know who i prefer as security :)
Students or the forces... I know who i prefer as security :) stench
  • Score: 0

4:20pm Mon 16 Jul 12

oldbrock says...

shy talk wrote:
Me thinks the Marine to the right of the picture has had to many pies.
doubt he needs to stab people in the back though..............
[quote][p][bold]shy talk[/bold] wrote: Me thinks the Marine to the right of the picture has had to many pies.[/p][/quote]doubt he needs to stab people in the back though.............. oldbrock
  • Score: 0

4:31pm Mon 16 Jul 12

Hannahg1 says...

585 wrote:
Under the photo it says 'A member of the armed forces and a party of Royal Marines carrying out a security sweep'.
Since when have the Royal Marines not been part of our armed forces?
They look as they are just having a chat in the photo.
I feel sorry for these guys, I hope their accommodation and food arrangements are really decent.
I'm married to one of the marines who is currently doing the security down here..accomadatio is great..food is rubbish they aren't getting enough! Our lads do far to much for this country!! And get nothing in return!
[quote][p][bold]585[/bold] wrote: Under the photo it says 'A member of the armed forces and a party of Royal Marines carrying out a security sweep'. Since when have the Royal Marines not been part of our armed forces? They look as they are just having a chat in the photo. I feel sorry for these guys, I hope their accommodation and food arrangements are really decent.[/p][/quote]I'm married to one of the marines who is currently doing the security down here..accomadatio is great..food is rubbish they aren't getting enough! Our lads do far to much for this country!! And get nothing in return! Hannahg1
  • Score: 0

5:26pm Mon 16 Jul 12

Genghis says...

Hannahg1 wrote:
585 wrote:
Under the photo it says 'A member of the armed forces and a party of Royal Marines carrying out a security sweep'.
Since when have the Royal Marines not been part of our armed forces?
They look as they are just having a chat in the photo.
I feel sorry for these guys, I hope their accommodation and food arrangements are really decent.
I'm married to one of the marines who is currently doing the security down here..accomadatio is great..food is rubbish they aren't getting enough! Our lads do far to much for this country!! And get nothing in return!
Agree with you on that. I think on top of their army pay all troops doing the security should also be paid at full rate by G4S for doing the job they were supposed to be doing.
[quote][p][bold]Hannahg1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]585[/bold] wrote: Under the photo it says 'A member of the armed forces and a party of Royal Marines carrying out a security sweep'. Since when have the Royal Marines not been part of our armed forces? They look as they are just having a chat in the photo. I feel sorry for these guys, I hope their accommodation and food arrangements are really decent.[/p][/quote]I'm married to one of the marines who is currently doing the security down here..accomadatio is great..food is rubbish they aren't getting enough! Our lads do far to much for this country!! And get nothing in return![/p][/quote]Agree with you on that. I think on top of their army pay all troops doing the security should also be paid at full rate by G4S for doing the job they were supposed to be doing. Genghis
  • Score: 0

6:00pm Mon 16 Jul 12

manyogie says...

shy talk wrote:
Me thinks the Marine to the right of the picture has had to many pies.
Anchor proof vest you silly !
[quote][p][bold]shy talk[/bold] wrote: Me thinks the Marine to the right of the picture has had to many pies.[/p][/quote]Anchor proof vest you silly ! manyogie
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Mon 16 Jul 12

manyogie says...

Put Theresa May on the front line, shes been saying everythings wonderfull.
Put Theresa May on the front line, shes been saying everythings wonderfull. manyogie
  • Score: 0

6:17pm Mon 16 Jul 12

Crabber says...

Hannahg1 wrote:
585 wrote:
Under the photo it says 'A member of the armed forces and a party of Royal Marines carrying out a security sweep'.
Since when have the Royal Marines not been part of our armed forces?
They look as they are just having a chat in the photo.
I feel sorry for these guys, I hope their accommodation and food arrangements are really decent.
I'm married to one of the marines who is currently doing the security down here..accomadatio is great..food is rubbish they aren't getting enough! Our lads do far to much for this country!! And get nothing in return!
Madam I hate to say this but they do get an awful lot in return.Have you forgotten the following? Disgusting Accommodation on Camp & on Tour. Equipment that regularly lets them down. Out of Date Ration Packs when on tour. Vastly underpaid compared to other NATO Troops.Appalling Married Accommodation. No After Service Welfare.A Government Who Constantly want you made |redundant and Who Fail to Back You & Your Efforts. Ridiculed & Spat at by Religious Groups when on Parade. Re-Called from Leave at a Moments Notice with scant regard for Family Life Finally Let Down By Successive Government to the extent of Ex Service Persons Sleeping Rough in Many Many of our Cities. I think they get loads in return. I am the proud dad of TWO current British Soldiers
[quote][p][bold]Hannahg1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]585[/bold] wrote: Under the photo it says 'A member of the armed forces and a party of Royal Marines carrying out a security sweep'. Since when have the Royal Marines not been part of our armed forces? They look as they are just having a chat in the photo. I feel sorry for these guys, I hope their accommodation and food arrangements are really decent.[/p][/quote]I'm married to one of the marines who is currently doing the security down here..accomadatio is great..food is rubbish they aren't getting enough! Our lads do far to much for this country!! And get nothing in return![/p][/quote]Madam I hate to say this but they do get an awful lot in return.Have you forgotten the following? Disgusting Accommodation on Camp & on Tour. Equipment that regularly lets them down. Out of Date Ration Packs when on tour. Vastly underpaid compared to other NATO Troops.Appalling Married Accommodation. No After Service Welfare.A Government Who Constantly want you made |redundant and Who Fail to Back You & Your Efforts. Ridiculed & Spat at by Religious Groups when on Parade. Re-Called from Leave at a Moments Notice with scant regard for Family Life Finally Let Down By Successive Government to the extent of Ex Service Persons Sleeping Rough in Many Many of our Cities. I think they get loads in return. I am the proud dad of TWO current British Soldiers Crabber
  • Score: 0

6:19pm Mon 16 Jul 12

RobinofLocksley says...

On the plus side, all the army peple can speak English - something G4S aren't able to guarantee with their staff. Group4 may have a new name, but some things haven't changed.
On the plus side, all the army peple can speak English - something G4S aren't able to guarantee with their staff. Group4 may have a new name, but some things haven't changed. RobinofLocksley
  • Score: 0

7:42pm Mon 16 Jul 12

rjimmer says...

I presume that the main threat is perceived to be from Islamists. There was a BBC news item yesterday showing a G4S team leader who had trouble communicating in English. His name was Mohammed! You couldn't make it up, could you! I won't be going anywhere near a games venue, it's just not safe enough.
I presume that the main threat is perceived to be from Islamists. There was a BBC news item yesterday showing a G4S team leader who had trouble communicating in English. His name was Mohammed! You couldn't make it up, could you! I won't be going anywhere near a games venue, it's just not safe enough. rjimmer
  • Score: 0

8:16pm Mon 16 Jul 12

ksmain says...

CharlieBarley wrote:
grumpyoldmen wrote: While G4s failing needs to be recognised ,I am amazed that the rest of the world is being told that we are failing in security for the games.If anyone was planning anything ,they now know that there is little security anywhere as this has been broadcast around the world.What happened to discretion?
It may seem strange policy to publicise that security is messed up but given the choice between security being provided by vast numbers of minimally trained temporary workers and professional soldiers who is going want to try their luck against the soldiers. Bringing the army surely should give greater confidence in the overall security of the games
It is a monumental mess-up from both sides,

G4S were awarded the contract a long time ago. Given that it is their business, they should have been aware of the numbers required and allowed for the process required to recruit them. I cant believe they werent aware a long time ago they were going to be short, and I believe they should have been working with the Government to address this more forcefully.

Meanwhile, the Government should have been monitoring more closely what must be one of, if not the main, issue of the Games, security. They should have requested physical proof from G4S of their numbers. In my opinion they failed to manage their contract properly.

I cant really understand that from the outset why the Government didnt go for the easiest and probably the most cost-effective method - use the armed forces. Not only are they fully qualified to deal with situations like this, they are fully cleared to use weaponry and would have to be fully cleared by CRB checks.

What a farce!!
[quote][p][bold]CharlieBarley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]grumpyoldmen[/bold] wrote: While G4s failing needs to be recognised ,I am amazed that the rest of the world is being told that we are failing in security for the games.If anyone was planning anything ,they now know that there is little security anywhere as this has been broadcast around the world.What happened to discretion?[/p][/quote]It may seem strange policy to publicise that security is messed up but given the choice between security being provided by vast numbers of minimally trained temporary workers and professional soldiers who is going want to try their luck against the soldiers. Bringing the army surely should give greater confidence in the overall security of the games[/p][/quote]It is a monumental mess-up from both sides, G4S were awarded the contract a long time ago. Given that it is their business, they should have been aware of the numbers required and allowed for the process required to recruit them. I cant believe they werent aware a long time ago they were going to be short, and I believe they should have been working with the Government to address this more forcefully. Meanwhile, the Government should have been monitoring more closely what must be one of, if not the main, issue of the Games, security. They should have requested physical proof from G4S of their numbers. In my opinion they failed to manage their contract properly. I cant really understand that from the outset why the Government didnt go for the easiest and probably the most cost-effective method - use the armed forces. Not only are they fully qualified to deal with situations like this, they are fully cleared to use weaponry and would have to be fully cleared by CRB checks. What a farce!! ksmain
  • Score: 0

8:18pm Mon 16 Jul 12

securit-e says...

ok sorry but i need to say here, this article says how "this has made the operation here safer because they are using military professionals now who will be better than G4S staff.
what a load of Balls...the staff i work with on the site are highly trained an know their job vey well. G4S have cause a massive **** up in london by not recruiting enough staff and we on the site are trying to cope with these conditions. it also says It’s an absolute disgrace. On some days in Weymouth and Portland there has been a staff shortage of 59 per cent and the best they have managed is 85 per cent turning up. again this is rubbish with us having 100% attendance until accreditation started...oh and the reason we have a shortfall at the moment is due to administration not talking to each other between G4S head office, LOCOG and Home Office yes G4S havent helped things but please dont tar us all with the same brush! thank you
ok sorry but i need to say here, this article says how "this has made the operation here safer because they are using military professionals now who will be better than G4S staff. what a load of Balls...the staff i work with on the site are highly trained an know their job vey well. G4S have cause a massive **** up in london by not recruiting enough staff and we on the site are trying to cope with these conditions. it also says It’s an absolute disgrace. On some days in Weymouth and Portland there has been a staff shortage of 59 per cent and the best they have managed is 85 per cent turning up. again this is rubbish with us having 100% attendance until accreditation started...oh and the reason we have a shortfall at the moment is due to administration not talking to each other between G4S head office, LOCOG and Home Office yes G4S havent helped things but please dont tar us all with the same brush! thank you securit-e
  • Score: 0

8:31pm Mon 16 Jul 12

ksmain says...

securit-e wrote:
ok sorry but i need to say here, this article says how "this has made the operation here safer because they are using military professionals now who will be better than G4S staff. what a load of Balls...the staff i work with on the site are highly trained an know their job vey well. G4S have cause a massive **** up in london by not recruiting enough staff and we on the site are trying to cope with these conditions. it also says It’s an absolute disgrace. On some days in Weymouth and Portland there has been a staff shortage of 59 per cent and the best they have managed is 85 per cent turning up. again this is rubbish with us having 100% attendance until accreditation started...oh and the reason we have a shortfall at the moment is due to administration not talking to each other between G4S head office, LOCOG and Home Office yes G4S havent helped things but please dont tar us all with the same brush! thank you
Sorry, but this is meant with no insult to you or your colleagues, this is exactly why the Armed Forces should have been used.

I cant see that if 100 troops were told to turn up on a particular day, that 100 troops wouldnt turn up. There would be no reason for them not to.
[quote][p][bold]securit-e[/bold] wrote: ok sorry but i need to say here, this article says how "this has made the operation here safer because they are using military professionals now who will be better than G4S staff. what a load of Balls...the staff i work with on the site are highly trained an know their job vey well. G4S have cause a massive **** up in london by not recruiting enough staff and we on the site are trying to cope with these conditions. it also says It’s an absolute disgrace. On some days in Weymouth and Portland there has been a staff shortage of 59 per cent and the best they have managed is 85 per cent turning up. again this is rubbish with us having 100% attendance until accreditation started...oh and the reason we have a shortfall at the moment is due to administration not talking to each other between G4S head office, LOCOG and Home Office yes G4S havent helped things but please dont tar us all with the same brush! thank you[/p][/quote]Sorry, but this is meant with no insult to you or your colleagues, this is exactly why the Armed Forces should have been used. I cant see that if 100 troops were told to turn up on a particular day, that 100 troops wouldnt turn up. There would be no reason for them not to. ksmain
  • Score: 0

9:15pm Mon 16 Jul 12

securit-e says...

ksmain wrote:
securit-e wrote:
ok sorry but i need to say here, this article says how "this has made the operation here safer because they are using military professionals now who will be better than G4S staff. what a load of Balls...the staff i work with on the site are highly trained an know their job vey well. G4S have cause a massive **** up in london by not recruiting enough staff and we on the site are trying to cope with these conditions. it also says It’s an absolute disgrace. On some days in Weymouth and Portland there has been a staff shortage of 59 per cent and the best they have managed is 85 per cent turning up. again this is rubbish with us having 100% attendance until accreditation started...oh and the reason we have a shortfall at the moment is due to administration not talking to each other between G4S head office, LOCOG and Home Office yes G4S havent helped things but please dont tar us all with the same brush! thank you
Sorry, but this is meant with no insult to you or your colleagues, this is exactly why the Armed Forces should have been used.

I cant see that if 100 troops were told to turn up on a particular day, that 100 troops wouldnt turn up. There would be no reason for them not to.
KsMain i agree totally, they dont need accreditation because they are crown servants and if ordered to turn up they will. however our guys and gals turn up day in day out whatever weather and conditions. if only the administrators could sort their end out this story would never exist as G4S would be manning the Olympics with great results...
[quote][p][bold]ksmain[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]securit-e[/bold] wrote: ok sorry but i need to say here, this article says how "this has made the operation here safer because they are using military professionals now who will be better than G4S staff. what a load of Balls...the staff i work with on the site are highly trained an know their job vey well. G4S have cause a massive **** up in london by not recruiting enough staff and we on the site are trying to cope with these conditions. it also says It’s an absolute disgrace. On some days in Weymouth and Portland there has been a staff shortage of 59 per cent and the best they have managed is 85 per cent turning up. again this is rubbish with us having 100% attendance until accreditation started...oh and the reason we have a shortfall at the moment is due to administration not talking to each other between G4S head office, LOCOG and Home Office yes G4S havent helped things but please dont tar us all with the same brush! thank you[/p][/quote]Sorry, but this is meant with no insult to you or your colleagues, this is exactly why the Armed Forces should have been used. I cant see that if 100 troops were told to turn up on a particular day, that 100 troops wouldnt turn up. There would be no reason for them not to.[/p][/quote]KsMain i agree totally, they dont need accreditation because they are crown servants and if ordered to turn up they will. however our guys and gals turn up day in day out whatever weather and conditions. if only the administrators could sort their end out this story would never exist as G4S would be manning the Olympics with great results... securit-e
  • Score: 0

9:27pm Mon 16 Jul 12

rjimmer says...

I hope the army chaps are allowed to carry arms and live ammunition.
I hope the army chaps are allowed to carry arms and live ammunition. rjimmer
  • Score: 0

12:35am Tue 17 Jul 12

annotator1 says...

The army is trained to kill. Nothing else. When any minor skirmish kicks off, like say an argument between a few **** up locals, I would not like to imagine the out come! But, I am pleased that most all of the UK army can speak English giving the majority a chance.
I will admit, we have a better rate of understanding than the Yanks, they just shoot and are questioned afterwards. I understand about the loads of concern regarding the advertising of the G4S balls up but, this is supposed to be a free country and anyone can say what they like, within reason. I hope we can find ourselves lifted out of the hideous mire we are now in, spending money on things that are of no use, but, hey, too late to talk about it now, the damage has been done.
The army is trained to kill. Nothing else. When any minor skirmish kicks off, like say an argument between a few **** up locals, I would not like to imagine the out come! But, I am pleased that most all of the UK army can speak English giving the majority a chance. I will admit, we have a better rate of understanding than the Yanks, they just shoot and are questioned afterwards. I understand about the loads of concern regarding the advertising of the G4S balls up but, this is supposed to be a free country and anyone can say what they like, within reason. I hope we can find ourselves lifted out of the hideous mire we are now in, spending money on things that are of no use, but, hey, too late to talk about it now, the damage has been done. annotator1
  • Score: 0

7:18am Tue 17 Jul 12

Grumpysecurity says...

Thinks mr chamberlain should take his head which is buried in the sand and come and visit the site up in till Thursday 12/07/12 we had more then enough guards to cover every possistion we where asked to cover but due to locog not being to clear some of us in time with accreditation bearing in mind they waited two weeks before lockdown before they let us fill in the accreditation app form this is why we have struggled since then as for the army issue the plan from start was for the army to cover the sailing acdemy and g4s to cover everything else which we where doing till the accreditation issues
Thinks mr chamberlain should take his head which is buried in the sand and come and visit the site up in till Thursday 12/07/12 we had more then enough guards to cover every possistion we where asked to cover but due to locog not being to clear some of us in time with accreditation bearing in mind they waited two weeks before lockdown before they let us fill in the accreditation app form this is why we have struggled since then as for the army issue the plan from start was for the army to cover the sailing acdemy and g4s to cover everything else which we where doing till the accreditation issues Grumpysecurity
  • Score: 0

7:19am Tue 17 Jul 12

bigfatlad says...

I HATE THE OLYMPICS
I HATE THE OLYMPICS bigfatlad
  • Score: 0

9:22am Tue 17 Jul 12

stench says...

annotator1 wrote:
The army is trained to kill. Nothing else. When any minor skirmish kicks off, like say an argument between a few **** up locals, I would not like to imagine the out come! But, I am pleased that most all of the UK army can speak English giving the majority a chance. I will admit, we have a better rate of understanding than the Yanks, they just shoot and are questioned afterwards. I understand about the loads of concern regarding the advertising of the G4S balls up but, this is supposed to be a free country and anyone can say what they like, within reason. I hope we can find ourselves lifted out of the hideous mire we are now in, spending money on things that are of no use, but, hey, too late to talk about it now, the damage has been done.
trained to kill? Nothing else?

How naive of you!
[quote][p][bold]annotator1[/bold] wrote: The army is trained to kill. Nothing else. When any minor skirmish kicks off, like say an argument between a few **** up locals, I would not like to imagine the out come! But, I am pleased that most all of the UK army can speak English giving the majority a chance. I will admit, we have a better rate of understanding than the Yanks, they just shoot and are questioned afterwards. I understand about the loads of concern regarding the advertising of the G4S balls up but, this is supposed to be a free country and anyone can say what they like, within reason. I hope we can find ourselves lifted out of the hideous mire we are now in, spending money on things that are of no use, but, hey, too late to talk about it now, the damage has been done.[/p][/quote]trained to kill? Nothing else? How naive of you! stench
  • Score: 0

9:34am Tue 17 Jul 12

tedbungy says...

stench wrote:
annotator1 wrote: The army is trained to kill. Nothing else. When any minor skirmish kicks off, like say an argument between a few **** up locals, I would not like to imagine the out come! But, I am pleased that most all of the UK army can speak English giving the majority a chance. I will admit, we have a better rate of understanding than the Yanks, they just shoot and are questioned afterwards. I understand about the loads of concern regarding the advertising of the G4S balls up but, this is supposed to be a free country and anyone can say what they like, within reason. I hope we can find ourselves lifted out of the hideous mire we are now in, spending money on things that are of no use, but, hey, too late to talk about it now, the damage has been done.
trained to kill? Nothing else? How naive of you!
Stench you need have a look at what the armed forces have done over the years since the end of ww 2, disaters, fire strikes to name just 2 things.

Most often at short notice, done with the utmost care and profesionalisum.

In the words of the song what have you done today to make you feal proud
[quote][p][bold]stench[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]annotator1[/bold] wrote: The army is trained to kill. Nothing else. When any minor skirmish kicks off, like say an argument between a few **** up locals, I would not like to imagine the out come! But, I am pleased that most all of the UK army can speak English giving the majority a chance. I will admit, we have a better rate of understanding than the Yanks, they just shoot and are questioned afterwards. I understand about the loads of concern regarding the advertising of the G4S balls up but, this is supposed to be a free country and anyone can say what they like, within reason. I hope we can find ourselves lifted out of the hideous mire we are now in, spending money on things that are of no use, but, hey, too late to talk about it now, the damage has been done.[/p][/quote]trained to kill? Nothing else? How naive of you![/p][/quote]Stench you need have a look at what the armed forces have done over the years since the end of ww 2, disaters, fire strikes to name just 2 things. Most often at short notice, done with the utmost care and profesionalisum. In the words of the song what have you done today to make you feal proud tedbungy
  • Score: 0

10:51am Tue 17 Jul 12

thetiger says...

What an absolute waste of resources, what do the olympic organisors expect to happen? a sailing dinghy torpedoed? a sailing dinghy hijacked by pirates! The armed services could be far better deployed elsewhere rather than baby sitting a bunch of wafi's (wind assisted ******* idiots).
What an absolute waste of resources, what do the olympic organisors expect to happen? a sailing dinghy torpedoed? a sailing dinghy hijacked by pirates! The armed services could be far better deployed elsewhere rather than baby sitting a bunch of wafi's (wind assisted ******* idiots). thetiger
  • Score: 0

11:09am Tue 17 Jul 12

jmc1 says...

thetiger wrote:
What an absolute waste of resources, what do the olympic organisors expect to happen? a sailing dinghy torpedoed? a sailing dinghy hijacked by pirates! The armed services could be far better deployed elsewhere rather than baby sitting a bunch of wafi's (wind assisted ******* idiots).
I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think there won't be a terrorist threat in sleepy Weymouth and just confined to London.
[quote][p][bold]thetiger[/bold] wrote: What an absolute waste of resources, what do the olympic organisors expect to happen? a sailing dinghy torpedoed? a sailing dinghy hijacked by pirates! The armed services could be far better deployed elsewhere rather than baby sitting a bunch of wafi's (wind assisted ******* idiots).[/p][/quote]I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think there won't be a terrorist threat in sleepy Weymouth and just confined to London. jmc1
  • Score: 0

2:27pm Tue 17 Jul 12

thetiger says...

Until our government withdraws our troops from Afghanistan a terrorist threat will always exist, but of course we couldn't possibly do that could we. We might upset our 'friends' across the pond. With such spineless politicians we will always be at risk from terrorism.
Until our government withdraws our troops from Afghanistan a terrorist threat will always exist, but of course we couldn't possibly do that could we. We might upset our 'friends' across the pond. With such spineless politicians we will always be at risk from terrorism. thetiger
  • Score: 0

6:37pm Tue 17 Jul 12

ksmain says...

As usual I reckon this whole thing has collapsed because the Government tried to do things on the cheap. I reckon they probably overspent on unnecessary hospitality and thought ah we'll cut corners on the security budget.

As for G4S I am not convinced that those they employ will know how do deal with a major security incident. The armed services do. So, for me, that should have been the only choice. And, ironically, I reckon it would have been a lot cheaper.
As usual I reckon this whole thing has collapsed because the Government tried to do things on the cheap. I reckon they probably overspent on unnecessary hospitality and thought ah we'll cut corners on the security budget. As for G4S I am not convinced that those they employ will know how do deal with a major security incident. The armed services do. So, for me, that should have been the only choice. And, ironically, I reckon it would have been a lot cheaper. ksmain
  • Score: 0

8:30pm Tue 17 Jul 12

Grumpysecurity says...

ksmain wrote:
As usual I reckon this whole thing has collapsed because the Government tried to do things on the cheap. I reckon they probably overspent on unnecessary hospitality and thought ah we'll cut corners on the security budget.

As for G4S I am not convinced that those they employ will know how do deal with a major security incident. The armed services do. So, for me, that should have been the only choice. And, ironically, I reckon it would have been a lot cheaper.
As for the bit about g4s not being able to deal with major incident do you know the backgrounds of all the staff before u come up with this assumption more then half of my colleagues have back grounds ranging from ex armed police officer, police officers, prison goveners and close protection just name a few so I think me and most of my colleagues could cope with anything that comes our way so please next time before you make assumptions maybe pop down and speak to some of my colleagues and they would be happy to speak to you about what they have done
[quote][p][bold]ksmain[/bold] wrote: As usual I reckon this whole thing has collapsed because the Government tried to do things on the cheap. I reckon they probably overspent on unnecessary hospitality and thought ah we'll cut corners on the security budget. As for G4S I am not convinced that those they employ will know how do deal with a major security incident. The armed services do. So, for me, that should have been the only choice. And, ironically, I reckon it would have been a lot cheaper.[/p][/quote]As for the bit about g4s not being able to deal with major incident do you know the backgrounds of all the staff before u come up with this assumption more then half of my colleagues have back grounds ranging from ex armed police officer, police officers, prison goveners and close protection just name a few so I think me and most of my colleagues could cope with anything that comes our way so please next time before you make assumptions maybe pop down and speak to some of my colleagues and they would be happy to speak to you about what they have done Grumpysecurity
  • Score: 0

8:57pm Tue 17 Jul 12

jmc1 says...

Grumpysecurity wrote:
ksmain wrote:
As usual I reckon this whole thing has collapsed because the Government tried to do things on the cheap. I reckon they probably overspent on unnecessary hospitality and thought ah we'll cut corners on the security budget.

As for G4S I am not convinced that those they employ will know how do deal with a major security incident. The armed services do. So, for me, that should have been the only choice. And, ironically, I reckon it would have been a lot cheaper.
As for the bit about g4s not being able to deal with major incident do you know the backgrounds of all the staff before u come up with this assumption more then half of my colleagues have back grounds ranging from ex armed police officer, police officers, prison goveners and close protection just name a few so I think me and most of my colleagues could cope with anything that comes our way so please next time before you make assumptions maybe pop down and speak to some of my colleagues and they would be happy to speak to you about what they have done
As you say half your colleagues have back grounds ranging from ex armed police officer, police officers, prison goveners and close protection,it's the other half that worries me.Soldier armed police perfect for a terrorist situation. G4s no contest.
[quote][p][bold]Grumpysecurity[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ksmain[/bold] wrote: As usual I reckon this whole thing has collapsed because the Government tried to do things on the cheap. I reckon they probably overspent on unnecessary hospitality and thought ah we'll cut corners on the security budget. As for G4S I am not convinced that those they employ will know how do deal with a major security incident. The armed services do. So, for me, that should have been the only choice. And, ironically, I reckon it would have been a lot cheaper.[/p][/quote]As for the bit about g4s not being able to deal with major incident do you know the backgrounds of all the staff before u come up with this assumption more then half of my colleagues have back grounds ranging from ex armed police officer, police officers, prison goveners and close protection just name a few so I think me and most of my colleagues could cope with anything that comes our way so please next time before you make assumptions maybe pop down and speak to some of my colleagues and they would be happy to speak to you about what they have done[/p][/quote]As you say half your colleagues have back grounds ranging from ex armed police officer, police officers, prison goveners and close protection,it's the other half that worries me.Soldier armed police perfect for a terrorist situation. G4s no contest. jmc1
  • Score: 0

10:36am Wed 18 Jul 12

maximan says...

bigfatlad wrote:
I HATE THE OLYMPICS
Your lack of interest in sport is proved by your name
[quote][p][bold]bigfatlad[/bold] wrote: I HATE THE OLYMPICS[/p][/quote]Your lack of interest in sport is proved by your name maximan
  • Score: 0

10:39am Wed 18 Jul 12

maximan says...

jmc1 wrote:
thetiger wrote:
What an absolute waste of resources, what do the olympic organisors expect to happen? a sailing dinghy torpedoed? a sailing dinghy hijacked by pirates! The armed services could be far better deployed elsewhere rather than baby sitting a bunch of wafi's (wind assisted ******* idiots).
I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think there won't be a terrorist threat in sleepy Weymouth and just confined to London.
have you inside knowledge that you wish to share?
[quote][p][bold]jmc1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thetiger[/bold] wrote: What an absolute waste of resources, what do the olympic organisors expect to happen? a sailing dinghy torpedoed? a sailing dinghy hijacked by pirates! The armed services could be far better deployed elsewhere rather than baby sitting a bunch of wafi's (wind assisted ******* idiots).[/p][/quote]I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think there won't be a terrorist threat in sleepy Weymouth and just confined to London.[/p][/quote]have you inside knowledge that you wish to share? maximan
  • Score: 0

11:37am Wed 18 Jul 12

Peter Baylis says...

Since when has it been a pre-requisite to be able to speak English to enter the Olympics. Of course, people who are multi lingual are needed to translate.
Since when has it been a pre-requisite to be able to speak English to enter the Olympics. Of course, people who are multi lingual are needed to translate. Peter Baylis
  • Score: 0

11:38am Wed 18 Jul 12

jmc1 says...

maximan wrote:
jmc1 wrote:
thetiger wrote:
What an absolute waste of resources, what do the olympic organisors expect to happen? a sailing dinghy torpedoed? a sailing dinghy hijacked by pirates! The armed services could be far better deployed elsewhere rather than baby sitting a bunch of wafi's (wind assisted ******* idiots).
I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think there won't be a terrorist threat in sleepy Weymouth and just confined to London.
have you inside knowledge that you wish to share?
Why bother with security,if we all think like you.
[quote][p][bold]maximan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jmc1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thetiger[/bold] wrote: What an absolute waste of resources, what do the olympic organisors expect to happen? a sailing dinghy torpedoed? a sailing dinghy hijacked by pirates! The armed services could be far better deployed elsewhere rather than baby sitting a bunch of wafi's (wind assisted ******* idiots).[/p][/quote]I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think there won't be a terrorist threat in sleepy Weymouth and just confined to London.[/p][/quote]have you inside knowledge that you wish to share?[/p][/quote]Why bother with security,if we all think like you. jmc1
  • Score: 0

5:54pm Wed 18 Jul 12

Nan 60 says...

manyogie wrote:
Put Theresa May on the front line, shes been saying everythings wonderfull.
she would have a hard job finding the front line
[quote][p][bold]manyogie[/bold] wrote: Put Theresa May on the front line, shes been saying everythings wonderfull.[/p][/quote]she would have a hard job finding the front line Nan 60
  • Score: 0

6:38pm Wed 18 Jul 12

sweetdreamgirl says...

I never had any faith in G4S anyway their past track record over the last few years has proved they are incompetent; as far as I am concerned I will feel safe with the police and army/marines here it couldn`t be better. Lets just enjoy the games its only for a few weeks and the olympics will never be here in Weymouth again,many would envy us our lovely location.
I never had any faith in G4S anyway their past track record over the last few years has proved they are incompetent; as far as I am concerned I will feel safe with the police and army/marines here it couldn`t be better. Lets just enjoy the games its only for a few weeks and the olympics will never be here in Weymouth again,many would envy us our lovely location. sweetdreamgirl
  • Score: 0

10:15am Thu 19 Jul 12

JamesYoung says...

thetiger wrote:
What an absolute waste of resources, what do the olympic organisors expect to happen? a sailing dinghy torpedoed? a sailing dinghy hijacked by pirates! The armed services could be far better deployed elsewhere rather than baby sitting a bunch of wafi's (wind assisted ******* idiots).
A guy walks up to the main entrance gate carrying a bomb. G4S guards challenge him. He detonates the bomb. Seconds later, 5 or 6 militants carrying machine guns run through the entrance, firing at everyone in sight.

That's basically what happened to that hotel in India a couple of years ago.

Our soldiers are the best people to be providing security. They are fresh from Afghanistan and they understand security because for the length of their deployment their lives have depended on it. You can only deal with an armed attack if you have arms.

And incidentally the threat isn't just to the venue. An armed militant could blast his way around Bridport, making the international news and putting the fear of God into every town in Britain.

In my view Weymouth is a more likely target than the venue itself or London. And if there are tanks and armed soldiers around so much the better.

I just hope they are given an extended rest after this is over.
[quote][p][bold]thetiger[/bold] wrote: What an absolute waste of resources, what do the olympic organisors expect to happen? a sailing dinghy torpedoed? a sailing dinghy hijacked by pirates! The armed services could be far better deployed elsewhere rather than baby sitting a bunch of wafi's (wind assisted ******* idiots).[/p][/quote]A guy walks up to the main entrance gate carrying a bomb. G4S guards challenge him. He detonates the bomb. Seconds later, 5 or 6 militants carrying machine guns run through the entrance, firing at everyone in sight. That's basically what happened to that hotel in India a couple of years ago. Our soldiers are the best people to be providing security. They are fresh from Afghanistan and they understand security because for the length of their deployment their lives have depended on it. You can only deal with an armed attack if you have arms. And incidentally the threat isn't just to the venue. An armed militant could blast his way around Bridport, making the international news and putting the fear of God into every town in Britain. In my view Weymouth is a more likely target than the venue itself or London. And if there are tanks and armed soldiers around so much the better. I just hope they are given an extended rest after this is over. JamesYoung
  • Score: 0

10:20am Thu 19 Jul 12

JamesYoung says...

tedbungy wrote:
stench wrote:
annotator1 wrote: The army is trained to kill. Nothing else. When any minor skirmish kicks off, like say an argument between a few **** up locals, I would not like to imagine the out come! But, I am pleased that most all of the UK army can speak English giving the majority a chance. I will admit, we have a better rate of understanding than the Yanks, they just shoot and are questioned afterwards. I understand about the loads of concern regarding the advertising of the G4S balls up but, this is supposed to be a free country and anyone can say what they like, within reason. I hope we can find ourselves lifted out of the hideous mire we are now in, spending money on things that are of no use, but, hey, too late to talk about it now, the damage has been done.
trained to kill? Nothing else? How naive of you!
Stench you need have a look at what the armed forces have done over the years since the end of ww 2, disaters, fire strikes to name just 2 things. Most often at short notice, done with the utmost care and profesionalisum. In the words of the song what have you done today to make you feal proud
I am the eternal soldier; I’m there when you need me
Fighting for your liberties down every century
Standing on the front-line, bleeding for your cause
Just a name on a memorial, at which you never pause.
I halted the Armada, stood my ground at Marston Moor
I was in the line at Minden and I heard the Zulu roar,
I was in the square at Waterloo and fought the fearless Boers
And I was gassed in the trenches of the war to end all wars …….
I piloted a Spitfire, stormed the beach at Normandy
Froze to death in Korea and I yomped to Port Stanley,
I was bombed to hell in Basra, under fire in old Kabul
I am a deadly Exocet, a politician’s tool. 
Yet all I ask is wages and three square meals a day
To lay my life upon the line, to live in harms way,
But it’s the same old story, when your victory is won
Then I’m just an embarrassment, with a loaded gun.
And the debt is soon forgotten, when the nightmares come to call
When each night I hear my best friend scream and helpless, watch him fall,
I’m told to snap out of it, I’m told big boys don’t cry
And I’m left to drink myself to death and on a cold street die.

- Mark Vine (and sung by the D
[quote][p][bold]tedbungy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stench[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]annotator1[/bold] wrote: The army is trained to kill. Nothing else. When any minor skirmish kicks off, like say an argument between a few **** up locals, I would not like to imagine the out come! But, I am pleased that most all of the UK army can speak English giving the majority a chance. I will admit, we have a better rate of understanding than the Yanks, they just shoot and are questioned afterwards. I understand about the loads of concern regarding the advertising of the G4S balls up but, this is supposed to be a free country and anyone can say what they like, within reason. I hope we can find ourselves lifted out of the hideous mire we are now in, spending money on things that are of no use, but, hey, too late to talk about it now, the damage has been done.[/p][/quote]trained to kill? Nothing else? How naive of you![/p][/quote]Stench you need have a look at what the armed forces have done over the years since the end of ww 2, disaters, fire strikes to name just 2 things. Most often at short notice, done with the utmost care and profesionalisum. In the words of the song what have you done today to make you feal proud[/p][/quote]I am the eternal soldier; I’m there when you need me Fighting for your liberties down every century Standing on the front-line, bleeding for your cause Just a name on a memorial, at which you never pause. I halted the Armada, stood my ground at Marston Moor I was in the line at Minden and I heard the Zulu roar, I was in the square at Waterloo and fought the fearless Boers And I was gassed in the trenches of the war to end all wars ……. I piloted a Spitfire, stormed the beach at Normandy Froze to death in Korea and I yomped to Port Stanley, I was bombed to hell in Basra, under fire in old Kabul I am a deadly Exocet, a politician’s tool.  Yet all I ask is wages and three square meals a day To lay my life upon the line, to live in harms way, But it’s the same old story, when your victory is won Then I’m just an embarrassment, with a loaded gun. And the debt is soon forgotten, when the nightmares come to call When each night I hear my best friend scream and helpless, watch him fall, I’m told to snap out of it, I’m told big boys don’t cry And I’m left to drink myself to death and on a cold street die. - Mark Vine (and sung by the D JamesYoung
  • Score: 0

10:21am Thu 19 Jul 12

JamesYoung says...

tedbungy wrote:
stench wrote:
annotator1 wrote: The army is trained to kill. Nothing else. When any minor skirmish kicks off, like say an argument between a few **** up locals, I would not like to imagine the out come! But, I am pleased that most all of the UK army can speak English giving the majority a chance. I will admit, we have a better rate of understanding than the Yanks, they just shoot and are questioned afterwards. I understand about the loads of concern regarding the advertising of the G4S balls up but, this is supposed to be a free country and anyone can say what they like, within reason. I hope we can find ourselves lifted out of the hideous mire we are now in, spending money on things that are of no use, but, hey, too late to talk about it now, the damage has been done.
trained to kill? Nothing else? How naive of you!
Stench you need have a look at what the armed forces have done over the years since the end of ww 2, disaters, fire strikes to name just 2 things. Most often at short notice, done with the utmost care and profesionalisum. In the words of the song what have you done today to make you feal proud
I am the eternal soldier; I’m there when you need me
Fighting for your liberties down every century
Standing on the front-line, bleeding for your cause
Just a name on a memorial, at which you never pause.
I halted the Armada, stood my ground at Marston Moor
I was in the line at Minden and I heard the Zulu roar,
I was in the square at Waterloo and fought the fearless Boers
And I was gassed in the trenches of the war to end all wars …….
I piloted a Spitfire, stormed the beach at Normandy
Froze to death in Korea and I yomped to Port Stanley,
I was bombed to hell in Basra, under fire in old Kabul
I am a deadly Exocet, a politician’s tool. 
Yet all I ask is wages and three square meals a day
To lay my life upon the line, to live in harms way,
But it’s the same old story, when your victory is won
Then I’m just an embarrassment, with a loaded gun.
And the debt is soon forgotten, when the nightmares come to call
When each night I hear my best friend scream and helpless, watch him fall,
I’m told to snap out of it, I’m told big boys don’t cry
And I’m left to drink myself to death and on a cold street die.

- Mark Vine (and sung by the Dolmen).
Sums the problem up nicely.
[quote][p][bold]tedbungy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stench[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]annotator1[/bold] wrote: The army is trained to kill. Nothing else. When any minor skirmish kicks off, like say an argument between a few **** up locals, I would not like to imagine the out come! But, I am pleased that most all of the UK army can speak English giving the majority a chance. I will admit, we have a better rate of understanding than the Yanks, they just shoot and are questioned afterwards. I understand about the loads of concern regarding the advertising of the G4S balls up but, this is supposed to be a free country and anyone can say what they like, within reason. I hope we can find ourselves lifted out of the hideous mire we are now in, spending money on things that are of no use, but, hey, too late to talk about it now, the damage has been done.[/p][/quote]trained to kill? Nothing else? How naive of you![/p][/quote]Stench you need have a look at what the armed forces have done over the years since the end of ww 2, disaters, fire strikes to name just 2 things. Most often at short notice, done with the utmost care and profesionalisum. In the words of the song what have you done today to make you feal proud[/p][/quote]I am the eternal soldier; I’m there when you need me Fighting for your liberties down every century Standing on the front-line, bleeding for your cause Just a name on a memorial, at which you never pause. I halted the Armada, stood my ground at Marston Moor I was in the line at Minden and I heard the Zulu roar, I was in the square at Waterloo and fought the fearless Boers And I was gassed in the trenches of the war to end all wars ……. I piloted a Spitfire, stormed the beach at Normandy Froze to death in Korea and I yomped to Port Stanley, I was bombed to hell in Basra, under fire in old Kabul I am a deadly Exocet, a politician’s tool.  Yet all I ask is wages and three square meals a day To lay my life upon the line, to live in harms way, But it’s the same old story, when your victory is won Then I’m just an embarrassment, with a loaded gun. And the debt is soon forgotten, when the nightmares come to call When each night I hear my best friend scream and helpless, watch him fall, I’m told to snap out of it, I’m told big boys don’t cry And I’m left to drink myself to death and on a cold street die. - Mark Vine (and sung by the Dolmen). Sums the problem up nicely. JamesYoung
  • Score: 0

10:23am Thu 19 Jul 12

Ageed / not agreed says...

re: the armed forces being here - I think it will give us all a chance to go up and shake them by the hand. As mentioned above, i hope their accommodation is 5 star. These legends have put their necks on the line day in, day out for us and now they lose their holiday due to a government plunder - lets make their time here spectacular and welcoming.
re: the armed forces being here - I think it will give us all a chance to go up and shake them by the hand. As mentioned above, i hope their accommodation is 5 star. These legends have put their necks on the line day in, day out for us and now they lose their holiday due to a government plunder - lets make their time here spectacular and welcoming. Ageed / not agreed
  • Score: 0

1:53am Sat 21 Jul 12

EtaoinShrdlu says...

Quick! Open up the Greasy Spoon again, that's what the lads want.
As for security, why hasn't t'Echo crowed about "Local Boy Makes Good" after the arrest of a local towel-head a week or so back? Sub-editor's dream headline missed.
Quick! Open up the Greasy Spoon again, that's what the lads want. As for security, why hasn't t'Echo crowed about "Local Boy Makes Good" after the arrest of a local towel-head a week or so back? Sub-editor's dream headline missed. EtaoinShrdlu
  • Score: 0

5:22pm Sat 21 Jul 12

Nan 60 says...

Roll on Christmas!!
Roll on Christmas!! Nan 60
  • Score: 0

10:21am Sun 22 Jul 12

droverles says...

Unbelievable!

How can any corporation (LOCOG) make laws???

If I was at all interested in this farce, I would turn up with my folding chair and packed lunch. What could or would they do about it?

The Nothe is, and always will be, a public place.
Unbelievable! How can any corporation (LOCOG) make laws??? If I was at all interested in this farce, I would turn up with my folding chair and packed lunch. What could or would they do about it? The Nothe is, and always will be, a public place. droverles
  • Score: 0

11:10am Sun 22 Jul 12

burgerboy says...

grumpyoldmen wrote:
While G4s failing needs to be recognised ,I am amazed that the rest of the world is being told that we are failing in security for the games.If anyone was planning anything ,they now know that there is little security anywhere as this has been broadcast around the world.What happened to discretion?
Totally agree, We tell the world of our security failings and wonder why it could come back to bite us on the a**e..........rememb
er the old saying CARELESS TALK COSTS LIVES.!!!! Some heads need to roll over this,government and g4s.
[quote][p][bold]grumpyoldmen[/bold] wrote: While G4s failing needs to be recognised ,I am amazed that the rest of the world is being told that we are failing in security for the games.If anyone was planning anything ,they now know that there is little security anywhere as this has been broadcast around the world.What happened to discretion?[/p][/quote]Totally agree, We tell the world of our security failings and wonder why it could come back to bite us on the a**e..........rememb er the old saying CARELESS TALK COSTS LIVES.!!!! Some heads need to roll over this,government and g4s. burgerboy
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree