FIVE men have been arrested by police investigating the alleged rape of two teenage girls in Weymouth.
The Echo reported last week how two young women said they were raped after a night out in the town ended in horrific attacks.
The victims, both aged 17, are believed to have been visitors who reportedly met a group of men during a night out in the town centre.
It is understood the women were later taken back to separate hotels in Weymouth and raped.
Dorset Police have now said five men have been held in connection with the alleged attacks.
Two men aged 23 and 24 and two aged 22, all from London, as well as a 22-year-old man from the Bridport area were questioned before being bailed. They will return to Weymouth police station in January 2013 for further questioning while investigations continue.
The arrests were made in London and Bridport a few days after the incident was reported to Dorset Police on the night of Sunday, September 9. After the complaint was made, the victims were interviewed at a police station by specially-trained officers.
Police liaison officers have been appointed to support them as the inquiry continues. Detectives from Dorset will be keeping in contact with colleagues in other forces during the investigation.
Hotels in Weymouth have been searched and articles removed from rooms.
Hoteliers spoke to the Echo to confirm officers have visited their premises and carried out searches. Officers visited hotels soon after the complaint was made.
CCTV footage from the town centre and from other establishments will also be examined and staff at various venues interviewed.
A Dorset Police spokesman said: “I can confirm that following a report of serious sexual assaults in Weymouth, five men have been arrested in connection with this incident and bailed until January, 2013.”
Anyone with information should call Dorset Police on 101.