TWO men were attacked by a gang in Weymouth in separate incidents within a few minutes of each other.

The alleged assaults, which police believe could be linked, took place during an afternoon.

Police are appealing for information about the attacks which happened between the bus station and Swannery car park.

The victims, aged 23 and 35 from the Weymouth area, were reportedly approached by a group of men, with one being butted and the other punched in the face.

The men, who were not known to each other, escaped without serious injury.

Borough Councillor for Melcombe Regis Joy Stanley said she was shocked and appalled by the attacks.

She said: “I’m absolutely outraged that this sort of thing happens in the town, especially in the middle of the day.

“It’s shocking that people are treated like this and it’s appalling, I hope the police have every success in getting evidence to find the people who have done this.”

Coun Stanley added: “The area is improving all the time and it’s definitely not a bad area. A few bad incidents have given it a bad reputation but the people in this area are the salt of the earth.”

Robin Bradley, of Commercial Road, said: “It seems very unusual, especially in broad daylight. We do get our problems around here with people behaving badly but I thought it had been more peaceful recently.”

Officers believe the attacks could be linked and are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.

PC Steve Brown, of County CID said the same group was probably involved in both incidents.

He said: “These two alleged assaults appear to be connected to the same group of men.”

PC Brown added that a motorist who had to stop to avoid hitting one of the men might have important information for the police.

He said: “We are particularly keen to speak to the driver of a silver coloured car, who was forced to stop at the scene.

Two youths aged 17, of no fixed abode, and a 19-year-old man from Weymouth have been arrested and released on police bail while inquiries continue. Details have just been released about the assaults which happened at around 4.30pm on Monday afternoon.