PEOPLE are being urged to check to make basic checks in their homes to ensure their family’s electrical safety.
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service and The Fire Kills campaign have joined forces with the Electrical Safety Council (ESC) to promote safety in the home.
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service has seen a rise in electrical fires across the county.
Between January 1 and August 31 they attended 210 fires caused by electrical appliances, wiring and electrical heating sources.
For the same period this year they attended 256 of these types of fire.
To help combat this, its Community Safety Task Team has been out and about in Littlemoor , Weymouth.
They will be offering the community free home safety checks and advice.
Research carried out by the ESC revealed a dangerous level of ignorance about the perils of electricity in UK households with simple blunders putting homes and families at risk.
In 2011, almost one million people repaired an appliance while it was still plugged in, 12.2million people knowingly used faulty plugs or sockets and two million people trailed cables near hot
surfaces or cookers.
By following a few simple steps, you can help keep you and your loved ones safe from fire: Don’t overload plug sockets, regularly check for worn or frayed wires, unplug appliances when not in use,
keep appliances clean and in good working order.
For more information on fire safety, visit www.facebook.com/firekills or contact Dorset Fire and Rescue Service in 01305 252600.