FIREFIGHTERS cut a woman from her car after a collision involving a school bus in Weymouth’s Park District.

The crash took place at a pedestrian crossing on Dorchester Road, near the Carlton Road South junction, at around 8.30am yesterday.

It involved a South West Coaches minibus, which was taking several pupils to Westfield Technology College.

Police, ambulance and fire crews arrived on the scene and the junction was closed to traffic for several hours while they worked.

The driver of the car, a woman in her 30s from Weymouth, was cut from the vehicle by firefighters and taken to Dorset County Hospital with back injuries.

Dorchester Road resident Robin Woodcock said he heard the collision from inside his house.

He said: “I was in my flat when I heard the accident happen at around 8.20am.

“I heard brakes squealing and then a thump.

“When I looked out the window I could see a bus and a car had hit each other.”

Mr Woodcock added: “The police, ambulance and fire all arrived and the fire fighters cut the driver out of the car.

“Car crashes happen quite often around here, we have lots of little shunts and even some head-on collisions.”

A spokesman for Westfield Technology College said none of the children were injured in the accident.

She said: “The collision happened on the way to school and all the children were fine.

“They were transferred to another bus and arrived at school safe and well.”

Both the car and the bus were towed away and the road was reopened at around 10am.

A Dorset Police spokesman said: “We were called at 8.31am by the ambulance service to a road traffic collision at the junction of Dorchester Road and Carlton Road South, involving a white minibus registered to a company in Wincanton and a silver Toyota Corolla registered to a woman from Weymouth.

“Three people were involved and one went to hospital as a precaution. The road was reopened at 9.57am.”

A Dorset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We were called at 8.50am by the ambulance and two crews from Weymouth attended.

“One person was medically trapped in the car and we helped remove the casualty.

“We took the roof off, placed them on a spine board and ambulance crews took them to hospital.”