A MAN who ‘targeted, exploited and manipulated’ a 15-year-old schoolgirl has been jailed for 30 months.

David John Christie Dunn, of Buckingham Way, Dorchester, admitted two counts of child abduction in January and June this year.

The court heard that the incidents happened after 32-year-old Dunn had been served with a child abduction warning notice in December 2011, relating to a 15-year-old girl.

Prosecutor Erica Foster told Dorchester Crown Court that the charge relating to the incident on January 14 took place after the girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, went to the defendant’s house at around 3am with two other school friends.

Dunn denied several of the claims made in the prosecution’s case.

He told the court that he let the three girls into his house because they asked for help.

Giving evidence at a Newton hearing held to determine the facts of the case, Dunn said: “They all looked quite distressed and asked if they could come in.

“They said they had been drinking. One of them had drunk quite a lot and did not look too well.”

The defendant added that he gave them glasses of water, and the four of them stayed downstairs, as one of the victim’s friends ‘passed out’ and they were trying to revive her.

He did not call an ambulance because he felt it was not necessary, the defendant told the court.

But later in the evening, two more of the victim’s friends went to the house.

One of them, a 16-year-old male, said: “We had become quite concerned for the others. There was no reply when I knocked, but there was a window to the living room and I saw David Dunn come running down the stairs.”

He later saw the victim come down the stairs, he added.

Following the hearing, Judge Roger Jarvis found that:

  •  The girl had gone upstairs in the house.
  •  Dunn had provided the youngsters with alcohol.
  •  Dunn made a comment to one of the girl’s friends suggesting they cover up the incident.
  •  Dunn had sat on his bed with the 15-year-old.

Miss Foster added that the second charge related to an incident on June 12.

She said: “The victim’s mother had contacted police because her daughter was missing.

“At around 10pm Dunn had just finished work and was cycling along Great Western Road when he saw the girl.

“There is some conversation, and then they go to Salisbury Fields where they talk and listen to music.”

In mitigation, Lee Christmas said: “It had not progressed beyond kissing or cuddling.”

Dunn, of previous good character, was jailed for 18 months for the first offence and 12 months for the second, to run consecutively.

Judge Jarvis said: “What will remain with the victim is that she has been targeted, exploited and manipulated by someone with an interest in children.”

Charity Speaks Out

THE director of a charity committed to keeping children safe from abuse spoke out after the sentencing of Dunn.

Director of Kidscape Claude Knights, pictured, said: “This is yet another disturbing case of a predatory adult exploiting a vulnerable young girl.

“In such cases the responsibility for the incidents must lie wholly with the adult who should be fully aware of the consequences of such actions.

“It is to be hoped that the custodial sentence will include a robust treatment programme.”

And in a statement, Detective Constable Andrew Marsh of Weymouth CID said: “David Dunn took advantage of a vulnerable child.

“His actions caused great concern for the victim’s family and the sentence reflects the seriousness of this offence.”