Dorset County Hospital bosses feel the heat on staff pay

Dorset Echo: BATTLEGROUND: Dorset County Hospital BATTLEGROUND: Dorset County Hospital

HOSPITAL bosses are set to feel the heat of opposition to a controversial pay consortium.

Staff at Dorset County Hospital are angry that it is one of 20 trusts from across the South West to have joined a cartel reviewing employee pay, terms and conditions.

Union members are now set to lobby members of the hospital’s board as they head into one of their regular meetings.

They will be outside the Children’s Centre from 8.30am tomorrow before addressing the board at the meeting, which starts at 9.30am.

Unions involved include Unison South West and the Royal College of Nursing (RCN).

Unison claims the proposals being considered by the pay cartel could see staff hit with a pay cut of up to 15 per cent, which would come on the back of several years of pay freezes and rising workloads.

It is calling on Dorset County Hospital bosses to pull out of the consortium with immediate effect.

Local Unison representative and chairman of the staff-side trade unions at the hospital, Chris Gover, said: “Our members are lobbying the trust board now because the future of the NHS in the South West is in their hands. “We need to ensure that the board are aware of the risks they are taking with Dorset County Hospital and the health service.

“There is clear evidence that introducing regional pay is wasteful and time consuming. “Moreover, national negotiations are at a critical stage but are being undermined by the cartel’s very existence, precipitating the threat of regional pay.”

A petition signed by 1,000 employees has already been presented to the trust while the RCN and British Medical Association have both spoken out against the consortium.

Mr Gover said: “Cutting pay, destroying morale and forcing nurses, midwives, doctors and other healthcare workers to leave Dorset or find other jobs will harm patient care and undermine the trust’s performance in every way. “Ultimately every one of us, whether we work in the NHS, have children or relatives who need the NHS, or are patients ourselves, will lose.

“We are asking directors to recognise the true value of their staff and the services they provide. We are asking them to remember that their duty is to their local people, communities and businesses by voting to pull out of the cartel immediately.”

Executive Pledges No Departure From National Work Conditions

Director of workforce and human resources at Dorset County Hospital Mark Power said the board had responded to a request from Unison to speak at its meeting and the trust will respond to a number of questions regarding the pay consortium.

He added: “This trust, like every other in the country, still faces significant financial challenges and it is the responsibility of the board to consider all possible options for containing or reducing operating costs (both pay and non-pay) and achieve greater efficiencies. In doing so, our overall aim is to protect patient services and future staff employment as far as possible. “For this reason, it is considered appropriate to remain a part of the consortium, at least until such time that firm proposals are put forward by its working group.”

Mr Power stressed that no proposals had yet been put forward and said there may well be some ‘more generous arrangements’ than the national pay model.

He added: “It is disappointing that the national and regional trade union bodies continue to raise the anxieties of staff by suggesting the trust is planning a wholesale departure from the national terms and conditions – this is simply not true.”

Mr Power said it will be up to the board whether to implement any proposals put forward by the consortium and it will consult with staff before doing so.

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:35pm Tue 9 Oct 12

JimmyTheWeed says...

Regional Pay...

Welcome to the real world. Hopefully the public sector gravytrain will continue to shed it's load and continue to align itself with how everyone else works.
Regional Pay... Welcome to the real world. Hopefully the public sector gravytrain will continue to shed it's load and continue to align itself with how everyone else works. JimmyTheWeed
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Tue 9 Oct 12

GMax says...

"Unison claims the proposals being considered by the pay cartel could see staff hit with a pay cut of up to 15 per cent, "
Does that include the senior management to or just the doctors and nurses ?
I'll bet you that the senior management won't be affected,,,,,,,,,, as usual.
.
GMax.
"Unison claims the proposals being considered by the pay cartel could see staff hit with a pay cut of up to 15 per cent, " Does that include the senior management to or just the doctors and nurses ? I'll bet you that the senior management won't be affected,,,,,,,,,, as usual. . GMax. GMax
  • Score: 0

4:20pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Dorset Boy says...

Sounds very much like job evaluation that was bought into local authority in 2001. Result, front line staff had pay cuts, managers and above had pay rises. And its called equality for all.
Sounds very much like job evaluation that was bought into local authority in 2001. Result, front line staff had pay cuts, managers and above had pay rises. And its called equality for all. Dorset Boy
  • Score: 0

5:09pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Dorset Guy says...

Dont forget almost every employer wants their lowest grade on national minimum wage no matter how skilled then employees get subsidised by the government by various benifits and credits especially if they only work part time
Dont forget almost every employer wants their lowest grade on national minimum wage no matter how skilled then employees get subsidised by the government by various benifits and credits especially if they only work part time Dorset Guy
  • Score: 0

8:04pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Jacs says...

This is the cartel that suggested they sack all the nurses and doctors and re-negotiate their contracts.Well if all the hospitals in Britain resign en-mass lets see how they do then.Thats what happened in Australia in one of the states when they would not give them a pay rise and threatened to reduce nurse patient ratios.The comment about the public sector gravy train from someone who thinks they know so much well when they are employing lower paid workers to do the job lets see how you fare when you go into hospital mate.I bet you will be the first to moan about it.
This is the cartel that suggested they sack all the nurses and doctors and re-negotiate their contracts.Well if all the hospitals in Britain resign en-mass lets see how they do then.Thats what happened in Australia in one of the states when they would not give them a pay rise and threatened to reduce nurse patient ratios.The comment about the public sector gravy train from someone who thinks they know so much well when they are employing lower paid workers to do the job lets see how you fare when you go into hospital mate.I bet you will be the first to moan about it. Jacs
  • Score: 0

11:04am Thu 11 Oct 12

MaidofDorset says...

Hmm. High house prices and low wages. It's hardly going to encourage newly qualified staff with massive student loans to want to work at Dorchester Hospital.
Hmm. High house prices and low wages. It's hardly going to encourage newly qualified staff with massive student loans to want to work at Dorchester Hospital. MaidofDorset
  • Score: 0

11:04am Thu 11 Oct 12

MaidofDorset says...

Hmm. High house prices and low wages. It's hardly going to encourage newly qualified staff with massive student loans to want to work at Dorchester Hospital.
Hmm. High house prices and low wages. It's hardly going to encourage newly qualified staff with massive student loans to want to work at Dorchester Hospital. MaidofDorset
  • Score: 0

11:04am Thu 11 Oct 12

MaidofDorset says...

Hmm. High house prices and low wages. It's hardly going to encourage newly qualified staff with massive student loans to want to work at Dorchester Hospital.
Hmm. High house prices and low wages. It's hardly going to encourage newly qualified staff with massive student loans to want to work at Dorchester Hospital. MaidofDorset
  • Score: 0

11:04am Thu 11 Oct 12

MaidofDorset says...

Hmm. High house prices and low wages. It's hardly going to encourage newly qualified staff with massive student loans to want to work at Dorchester Hospital.
Hmm. High house prices and low wages. It's hardly going to encourage newly qualified staff with massive student loans to want to work at Dorchester Hospital. MaidofDorset
  • Score: 0

12:27pm Thu 11 Oct 12

banknote says...

MaidofDorset you need to take something - you are repeating yourself.
MaidofDorset you need to take something - you are repeating yourself. banknote
  • Score: 0

12:27pm Thu 11 Oct 12

banknote says...

MaidofDorset you need to take something - you are repeating yourself.
MaidofDorset you need to take something - you are repeating yourself. banknote
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Thu 11 Oct 12

DickDastardly says...

banknote you need to take something - you are repeating yourself.
banknote you need to take something - you are repeating yourself. DickDastardly
  • Score: 0

8:35am Fri 12 Oct 12

JamesYoung says...

It is the wrong time to be doing this, but the idea that a nurse in Dorset earns the same as a nurse in Berkshire does not reflect the realities of the workforce in general. But this could be achieved by reducing inflationary pay rises/increments in the good years. That said, anything that precipitates the much needed reduction in house prices would be a good thing economically.
It is the wrong time to be doing this, but the idea that a nurse in Dorset earns the same as a nurse in Berkshire does not reflect the realities of the workforce in general. But this could be achieved by reducing inflationary pay rises/increments in the good years. That said, anything that precipitates the much needed reduction in house prices would be a good thing economically. JamesYoung
  • Score: 0

9:43pm Fri 12 Oct 12

portland rebel says...

we are all in this together, unless you are managment or above.
we are all in this together, unless you are managment or above. portland rebel
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Sat 13 Oct 12

oldbrock says...

portland rebel wrote:
we are all in this together, unless you are managment or above.
and politicians= selfseeking, hypocritical scum
[quote][p][bold]portland rebel[/bold] wrote: we are all in this together, unless you are managment or above.[/p][/quote]and politicians= selfseeking, hypocritical scum oldbrock
  • Score: 0

6:58pm Sat 13 Oct 12

woodsedge says...

oldbrock wrote:
portland rebel wrote:
we are all in this together, unless you are managment or above.
and politicians= selfseeking, hypocritical scum
We are all in it together, except for the bankers and Cameron's ex school mates who created the mess in the first place. Leave it to the good old majority of the population with no money to bail out the richest 1% who are always fireproof.
[quote][p][bold]oldbrock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]portland rebel[/bold] wrote: we are all in this together, unless you are managment or above.[/p][/quote]and politicians= selfseeking, hypocritical scum[/p][/quote]We are all in it together, except for the bankers and Cameron's ex school mates who created the mess in the first place. Leave it to the good old majority of the population with no money to bail out the richest 1% who are always fireproof. woodsedge
  • Score: 0

3:03pm Sun 14 Oct 12

JamesYoung says...

woodsedge wrote:
oldbrock wrote:
portland rebel wrote:
we are all in this together, unless you are managment or above.
and politicians= selfseeking, hypocritical scum
We are all in it together, except for the bankers and Cameron's ex school mates who created the mess in the first place. Leave it to the good old majority of the population with no money to bail out the richest 1% who are always fireproof.
The mention of Cameron's school mates overlooks the fact that this crisis happened under a Labour government and that most of the controls that would have been prevented a crisis were removed by a Labour government, who also took the odd step of selling our gold reserves when the market was at a nadir. Labour, it seems, also did a very good job of clearing out the stores during ten yeas if bountiful harvest. Milliband must love that people like yourself forget so easily. I'm no fan of politicians of any colour but please understand that a return to Labour economic policy will destroy us.
[quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]oldbrock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]portland rebel[/bold] wrote: we are all in this together, unless you are managment or above.[/p][/quote]and politicians= selfseeking, hypocritical scum[/p][/quote]We are all in it together, except for the bankers and Cameron's ex school mates who created the mess in the first place. Leave it to the good old majority of the population with no money to bail out the richest 1% who are always fireproof.[/p][/quote]The mention of Cameron's school mates overlooks the fact that this crisis happened under a Labour government and that most of the controls that would have been prevented a crisis were removed by a Labour government, who also took the odd step of selling our gold reserves when the market was at a nadir. Labour, it seems, also did a very good job of clearing out the stores during ten yeas if bountiful harvest. Milliband must love that people like yourself forget so easily. I'm no fan of politicians of any colour but please understand that a return to Labour economic policy will destroy us. JamesYoung
  • Score: 0

3:58pm Sun 14 Oct 12

woodsedge says...

JamesYoung wrote:
woodsedge wrote:
oldbrock wrote:
portland rebel wrote:
we are all in this together, unless you are managment or above.
and politicians= selfseeking, hypocritical scum
We are all in it together, except for the bankers and Cameron's ex school mates who created the mess in the first place. Leave it to the good old majority of the population with no money to bail out the richest 1% who are always fireproof.
The mention of Cameron's school mates overlooks the fact that this crisis happened under a Labour government and that most of the controls that would have been prevented a crisis were removed by a Labour government, who also took the odd step of selling our gold reserves when the market was at a nadir. Labour, it seems, also did a very good job of clearing out the stores during ten yeas if bountiful harvest. Milliband must love that people like yourself forget so easily. I'm no fan of politicians of any colour but please understand that a return to Labour economic policy will destroy us.
To many people on here make unfounded assumptions. What makes you think that i have forgotten what Labour did to the country? We agree on one thing and that is a politician is a politician regardless of the colour of the rosette. Each consecutive government, red or blue, as made the lot of the normal working person, public and private sector continually worse. And there lays the problem, there is no real alternative other than more of the same.
[quote][p][bold]JamesYoung[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]woodsedge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]oldbrock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]portland rebel[/bold] wrote: we are all in this together, unless you are managment or above.[/p][/quote]and politicians= selfseeking, hypocritical scum[/p][/quote]We are all in it together, except for the bankers and Cameron's ex school mates who created the mess in the first place. Leave it to the good old majority of the population with no money to bail out the richest 1% who are always fireproof.[/p][/quote]The mention of Cameron's school mates overlooks the fact that this crisis happened under a Labour government and that most of the controls that would have been prevented a crisis were removed by a Labour government, who also took the odd step of selling our gold reserves when the market was at a nadir. Labour, it seems, also did a very good job of clearing out the stores during ten yeas if bountiful harvest. Milliband must love that people like yourself forget so easily. I'm no fan of politicians of any colour but please understand that a return to Labour economic policy will destroy us.[/p][/quote]To many people on here make unfounded assumptions. What makes you think that i have forgotten what Labour did to the country? We agree on one thing and that is a politician is a politician regardless of the colour of the rosette. Each consecutive government, red or blue, as made the lot of the normal working person, public and private sector continually worse. And there lays the problem, there is no real alternative other than more of the same. woodsedge
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree