Cigarette may have caused shed fire in Weymouth town centre

First published in News

FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze involving a lean-to building in the garden of a coffee shop in Weymouth town centre.

Two crews extinguished the fire which affected a timber construction behind Muffins coffee shop and restaurant in St Alban Street at around 2.30am yesterday.

The lean-to, a garden door and some garden furniture were damaged by the fire, while a flat above also sustained smoke damage.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said they believed the cause of the blaze was careless disposal of a cigarette.

Christine Hunt, leaseholder at the coffee shop, said she was told by someone who lives nearby they saw someone running down the alleyway behind the garden shortly after the fire took hold.

She added that, while they would be able to clear up damage the fire had caused in the garden, her main concern was what could have happened to those in the flat above had the fire been any worse.

She said: “We will soon clear up the mess, it could have put lives at risk in the flats.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree