When news happens get involved. Send your pictures, views and video to us by text and email
Dorset County Council say road had been given safety check
12:30pm Wednesday 17th October 2012 in News
ENGINEERS inspected the exact section of road where Monday’s double-decker bus crash took place just a week ago, it has emerged.
Emergency workers hailed it a “miracle” after 56 Kingston Maurward College students walked away from the smash relatively unscathed.
Thirty people did suffer minor injuries but just seven students and the 27-year-old First Bus driver needed hospital treatment. The bus was on route to the Dorchester college when it careered off the road and rolled over in a field.
A Dorset County Council spokesman said: “The road condition at this point was inspected within the past week and there was nothing wrong with it.
“The carriageway at this site was not resurfaced as part of the resurfacing work further south on the A350 earlier this year.”
The good news is approximately half of the students that were travelling on the route are back in college and the rest are expected to return later this week or next week.
Meanwhile, the bus company – which is working closely with the Police – has confirmed onboard CCTV footage will form part of the investigation.
A Department of Transport spokesman said: “The requirements specifically exclude those vehicles that are designed for urban use and are authorised to carry standing passengers.”
Comments are closed on this article.