SNOW LATEST: Traffic chaos easing but fears for more ice overnight

Dorset Echo: Severe weather warning as snow blankets county again Severe weather warning as snow blankets county again

SNOW, freezing rain and ice are still causing traffic chaos across Dorset with fears it could get worse as wet roads freeze.

Dorset Police are warning people not to travel but stay indoors unless absolutely necessary.

In Bournemouth, where heavy rain has washed away much of the snow, gritters are on standby to go out as soon as temperatures drop below freezing.

Latest weather forecasts

Dorset County Council gritters are focusing their efforts on priority routes, especially in the west of the county.

They are being assisted by local farmers using snowploughs fitted to their tractors.

Once priority routes are clear, farmers will be stood down and gritters will work to clear all other salting routes.

The county council expects it will take up to 24 hours to get the whole network open.

Latest traffic news

Buses, planes and trains are all operating, although to a revised timetable. Some roads are still only passable with extreme care and the hills around Ashley Cross are closed to traffic.

South West Trains are running a revised and reduced service on the Weymouth-Bournemouth-London line. For full details, visit their website .

A severe weather warning, predicting widespread ice, is in force for tonight and tomorrow morning.

The north and west of the county were worst hit this morning, getting the fringes of a very heavy band of snow forecast for Somerset.

Readers reported two inches of snow over Lytchett Minster in the 45 minutes, with roads described as "impassable."

The latest on Yellow Buses.

The latest on Wilts and Dorset buses.

You can get the full list of closed roads, gritting updates, and where your nearest salt bin is in our snow section. Let us know what it's like where you are in the comments.

Comments (60)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:22am Mon 20 Dec 10

Dave2207 says...

Boscombe Bus Station closed, again! It's not very big but lots of buses use it. Why can't the gritters clear it as they pass?
It's not much fun having to stand by the roadside, waiting for a bus, in the snow as passing traffic can spray you with slush, etc.
Boscombe Bus Station closed, again! It's not very big but lots of buses use it. Why can't the gritters clear it as they pass? It's not much fun having to stand by the roadside, waiting for a bus, in the snow as passing traffic can spray you with slush, etc. Dave2207
  • Score: 0

8:50am Mon 20 Dec 10

Lord Spring says...

There may not be any post or binmen but the Pizza Flyers still come through the letter box
There may not be any post or binmen but the Pizza Flyers still come through the letter box Lord Spring
  • Score: 0

9:36am Mon 20 Dec 10

TinyLegacy says...

Pizza flying - It's not for girls.
Pizza flying - It's not for girls. TinyLegacy
  • Score: 0

9:37am Mon 20 Dec 10

Lewcee says...

09.30 a.m., A35 Commercial Road at a virtual standstill heading east from the Poole Civic Centre . Gritters have been round again and again, and again, leaving mostly slush. In the last few hours it has warmed up to freezing, and anticipate will start thawing soon. Still snow/rain quite heavily.
09.30 a.m., A35 Commercial Road at a virtual standstill heading east from the Poole Civic Centre . Gritters have been round again and again, and again, leaving mostly slush. In the last few hours it has warmed up to freezing, and anticipate will start thawing soon. Still snow/rain quite heavily. Lewcee
  • Score: 0

9:48am Mon 20 Dec 10

jobsworthwatch says...

Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary!
Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary! jobsworthwatch
  • Score: 0

10:09am Mon 20 Dec 10

Esqui says...

I've seen two gritting lorries go past me in the last 10 minutes. Also, jobsworthwatch, there's something that seems a really bad idea about spraying roads with sea water in below-zero conditions...can't quite think what though
I've seen two gritting lorries go past me in the last 10 minutes. Also, jobsworthwatch, there's something that seems a really bad idea about spraying roads with sea water in below-zero conditions...can't quite think what though Esqui
  • Score: 0

10:21am Mon 20 Dec 10

jobsworthwatch says...

Esqui wrote:
I've seen two gritting lorries go past me in the last 10 minutes. Also, jobsworthwatch, there's something that seems a really bad idea about spraying roads with sea water in below-zero conditions...can't quite think what though
Salt water can freeze as low as-20 C depending on the amount of salt.
[quote][p][bold]Esqui[/bold] wrote: I've seen two gritting lorries go past me in the last 10 minutes. Also, jobsworthwatch, there's something that seems a really bad idea about spraying roads with sea water in below-zero conditions...can't quite think what though[/p][/quote]Salt water can freeze as low as-20 C depending on the amount of salt. jobsworthwatch
  • Score: 0

10:45am Mon 20 Dec 10

fedupwithjobsworths says...

The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days
The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days fedupwithjobsworths
  • Score: 0

10:54am Mon 20 Dec 10

WeatherNerd says...

More Snow Today Or This Week New Update At www.dorsetweather.we
bs.com Become A Member For Free 3 Update A Day!!!
More Snow Today Or This Week New Update At www.dorsetweather.we bs.com Become A Member For Free 3 Update A Day!!! WeatherNerd
  • Score: 0

11:06am Mon 20 Dec 10

l'anglais says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
Esqui wrote:
I've seen two gritting lorries go past me in the last 10 minutes. Also, jobsworthwatch, there's something that seems a really bad idea about spraying roads with sea water in below-zero conditions...can't quite think what though
Salt water can freeze as low as-20 C depending on the amount of salt.
Why not requisition the flying boats that put out forest fires in southern europe during summer?
First drop Bournemouth and Poole Town Halls!
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Esqui[/bold] wrote: I've seen two gritting lorries go past me in the last 10 minutes. Also, jobsworthwatch, there's something that seems a really bad idea about spraying roads with sea water in below-zero conditions...can't quite think what though[/p][/quote]Salt water can freeze as low as-20 C depending on the amount of salt.[/p][/quote]Why not requisition the flying boats that put out forest fires in southern europe during summer? First drop Bournemouth and Poole Town Halls! l'anglais
  • Score: 0

11:09am Mon 20 Dec 10

Glória says...

fedupwithjobsworths wrote:
The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days
Perhaps you should consider learning the difference between WEATHER and CLIMATE before making such silly comments? Dimwit.
[quote][p][bold]fedupwithjobsworths[/bold] wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days[/p][/quote]Perhaps you should consider learning the difference between WEATHER and CLIMATE before making such silly comments? Dimwit. Glória
  • Score: 0

11:11am Mon 20 Dec 10

osys missing teeth says...

Latest update for those of you who are still in bed its raining like mad and most of the snow is gone its 4 degrees in Wareham Forest
Latest update for those of you who are still in bed its raining like mad and most of the snow is gone its 4 degrees in Wareham Forest osys missing teeth
  • Score: 0

11:17am Mon 20 Dec 10

DemonDiva says...

It would be better if the Echo link for Yellow Buses latest actually didn't go to the Facebook page for Wilts and Dorset buses!
*
Royal Mail is entirely grounded according to our local depot in Broadstone. We can't get delivery or collections today.
It would be better if the Echo link for Yellow Buses latest actually didn't go to the Facebook page for Wilts and Dorset buses! * Royal Mail is entirely grounded according to our local depot in Broadstone. We can't get delivery or collections today. DemonDiva
  • Score: 0

11:17am Mon 20 Dec 10

Piston_Broke says...

fedupwithjobsworths wrote:
The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days
One of the consequences of Global warming is the dilution of the salinity of the North Atlantic. If the salinity is reduced enough, there is the potential to slow or stop Thermohaline Circulation, and the result of this in the UK is dramatically reduced temperatures.
[quote][p][bold]fedupwithjobsworths[/bold] wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days[/p][/quote]One of the consequences of Global warming is the dilution of the salinity of the North Atlantic. If the salinity is reduced enough, there is the potential to slow or stop Thermohaline Circulation, and the result of this in the UK is dramatically reduced temperatures. Piston_Broke
  • Score: 0

11:25am Mon 20 Dec 10

News reader says...

We have approximately 4 - 6 inches of snow near Shaftesbury. It's still snowing which is settling well.
We have approximately 4 - 6 inches of snow near Shaftesbury. It's still snowing which is settling well. News reader
  • Score: 0

11:30am Mon 20 Dec 10

Glória says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary!
Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss!
.
Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice?
.
Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average.
.
Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary![/p][/quote]Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-) Glória
  • Score: 0

11:38am Mon 20 Dec 10

fedupwithjobsworths says...

Glória wrote:
fedupwithjobsworths wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days
Perhaps you should consider learning the difference between WEATHER and CLIMATE before making such silly comments? Dimwit.
Perhaps you should consider getting a sense of humour before placing venomous insults - my comment was in jest, chill out!
[quote][p][bold]Glória[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedupwithjobsworths[/bold] wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days[/p][/quote]Perhaps you should consider learning the difference between WEATHER and CLIMATE before making such silly comments? Dimwit.[/p][/quote]Perhaps you should consider getting a sense of humour before placing venomous insults - my comment was in jest, chill out! fedupwithjobsworths
  • Score: 0

11:43am Mon 20 Dec 10

Sam Shepherd says...

DemonDiva wrote:
It would be better if the Echo link for Yellow Buses latest actually didn't go to the Facebook page for Wilts and Dorset buses!
*
Royal Mail is entirely grounded according to our local depot in Broadstone. We can't get delivery or collections today.
Sorry! the one in the story is right, and I've fixed the other one now.
[quote][p][bold]DemonDiva[/bold] wrote: It would be better if the Echo link for Yellow Buses latest actually didn't go to the Facebook page for Wilts and Dorset buses! * Royal Mail is entirely grounded according to our local depot in Broadstone. We can't get delivery or collections today.[/p][/quote]Sorry! the one in the story is right, and I've fixed the other one now. Sam Shepherd
  • Score: 0

11:52am Mon 20 Dec 10

Crabby apple says...

My place of employment does not allow access to facebook so I cannot see the latest wilts and dorset bus information. And their website must be inundated as I can't get on their either. Can someone tell me the latest - are they back up and running or suspended due to ice etc? I need to prepare for walking home from Poole if so as don't want to do it later when it is colder and slippier!!
My place of employment does not allow access to facebook so I cannot see the latest wilts and dorset bus information. And their website must be inundated as I can't get on their either. Can someone tell me the latest - are they back up and running or suspended due to ice etc? I need to prepare for walking home from Poole if so as don't want to do it later when it is colder and slippier!! Crabby apple
  • Score: 0

12:08pm Mon 20 Dec 10

Trifecta says...

Transdev Yellow Buses are even more useless than ever today, I can only assume that there is a rule allowing only travel in an Eastern direction as there was a gap of nearly two hours between buses going into Bournemouth through Southbourne despite several going the other way. No Harry Potter, no Christmas shopping and so my daughter sends her thanks to all at Yellow Buses.
Transdev Yellow Buses are even more useless than ever today, I can only assume that there is a rule allowing only travel in an Eastern direction as there was a gap of nearly two hours between buses going into Bournemouth through Southbourne despite several going the other way. No Harry Potter, no Christmas shopping and so my daughter sends her thanks to all at Yellow Buses. Trifecta
  • Score: 0

12:11pm Mon 20 Dec 10

Fuzzy Grub says...

osys missing teeth wrote:
Latest update for those of you who are still in bed its raining like mad and most of the snow is gone its 4 degrees in Wareham Forest
4 degrees? Best dig the suntan lotion out. Minus 8 coming into London at 6am. Still minus 3 now
[quote][p][bold]osys missing teeth[/bold] wrote: Latest update for those of you who are still in bed its raining like mad and most of the snow is gone its 4 degrees in Wareham Forest[/p][/quote]4 degrees? Best dig the suntan lotion out. Minus 8 coming into London at 6am. Still minus 3 now Fuzzy Grub
  • Score: 0

12:13pm Mon 20 Dec 10

Lewcee says...

The temperature at the Civic Centre area is now +3C, slowly but surely climbing. The rain has turned some of the snow to slush - the M1 service has been running, albeit spasmodically. Down here at sea-level, the temperature will thaw the snow, but up on the hills it will still be freezing...take care everybody!
The temperature at the Civic Centre area is now +3C, slowly but surely climbing. The rain has turned some of the snow to slush - the M1 service has been running, albeit spasmodically. Down here at sea-level, the temperature will thaw the snow, but up on the hills it will still be freezing...take care everybody! Lewcee
  • Score: 0

12:13pm Mon 20 Dec 10

jobsworthwatch says...

Glória wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary!
Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)
I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them!
[quote][p][bold]Glória[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary![/p][/quote]Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)[/p][/quote]I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them! jobsworthwatch
  • Score: 0

12:15pm Mon 20 Dec 10

all seeing cat says...

doom, doom yer all doomed!!!!!!!!!
doom, doom yer all doomed!!!!!!!!! all seeing cat
  • Score: 0

12:18pm Mon 20 Dec 10

osys missing teeth says...

Mt daughter got the bus at Crossways this morning and it was bang on time first time in years, its usually 35 minutes early.
Mt daughter got the bus at Crossways this morning and it was bang on time first time in years, its usually 35 minutes early. osys missing teeth
  • Score: 0

12:19pm Mon 20 Dec 10

ben111 says...

Piston_Broke wrote:
fedupwithjobsworths wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days
One of the consequences of Global warming is the dilution of the salinity of the North Atlantic. If the salinity is reduced enough, there is the potential to slow or stop Thermohaline Circulation, and the result of this in the UK is dramatically reduced temperatures.
Maybe we should be throwing all the salt and grit of the end of Bournemouth pier
[quote][p][bold]Piston_Broke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedupwithjobsworths[/bold] wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days[/p][/quote]One of the consequences of Global warming is the dilution of the salinity of the North Atlantic. If the salinity is reduced enough, there is the potential to slow or stop Thermohaline Circulation, and the result of this in the UK is dramatically reduced temperatures.[/p][/quote]Maybe we should be throwing all the salt and grit of the end of Bournemouth pier ben111
  • Score: 0

12:22pm Mon 20 Dec 10

EGHH says...

Postmen and women battling on in Parkstone. Well Done! I'm just waiting for the slush to freeze over night so we get the biggest skating rink in Dorset!
Postmen and women battling on in Parkstone. Well Done! I'm just waiting for the slush to freeze over night so we get the biggest skating rink in Dorset! EGHH
  • Score: 0

12:40pm Mon 20 Dec 10

Florrie says...

HOORAY. more snow in Ashley Heath. Looks so pretty and my snowman hasn't scared the birds who depend on the birdtable food....Post arrived at ll a.m. so thank you to all postmen and those who strive to keep going at present. Happy Christmas to all the workers.....
HOORAY. more snow in Ashley Heath. Looks so pretty and my snowman hasn't scared the birds who depend on the birdtable food....Post arrived at ll a.m. so thank you to all postmen and those who strive to keep going at present. Happy Christmas to all the workers..... Florrie
  • Score: 0

12:59pm Mon 20 Dec 10

Wintonian says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
Glória wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary!
Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)
I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them!
Perhaps your journey took 1 hour not because the Council failed to keep the roads clear, but because people were taking a bit more time in difficult conditions.

If the gritters hadn't been out, you would have been going nowhere.
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Glória[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary![/p][/quote]Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)[/p][/quote]I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them![/p][/quote]Perhaps your journey took 1 hour not because the Council failed to keep the roads clear, but because people were taking a bit more time in difficult conditions. If the gritters hadn't been out, you would have been going nowhere. Wintonian
  • Score: 0

1:09pm Mon 20 Dec 10

Duckorange says...

fedupwithjobsworths wrote:
The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days
Poor, wrong fedupwithjobsworths
.
Pay attention: Global warming results in extreme weather. Hot summers. Cold winters. More storms. Guess which bit we're having now?
[quote][p][bold]fedupwithjobsworths[/bold] wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days[/p][/quote]Poor, wrong fedupwithjobsworths . Pay attention: Global warming results in extreme weather. Hot summers. Cold winters. More storms. Guess which bit we're having now? Duckorange
  • Score: 0

1:20pm Mon 20 Dec 10

jobsworthwatch says...

Wintonian wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Glória wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary!
Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)
I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them!
Perhaps your journey took 1 hour not because the Council failed to keep the roads clear, but because people were taking a bit more time in difficult conditions. If the gritters hadn't been out, you would have been going nowhere.
No sign of any salt/grit on Glenferness Ave, Boundary roundabout to Wallisdown or on the Alder hills at 0715 this morning.
[quote][p][bold]Wintonian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Glória[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary![/p][/quote]Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)[/p][/quote]I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them![/p][/quote]Perhaps your journey took 1 hour not because the Council failed to keep the roads clear, but because people were taking a bit more time in difficult conditions. If the gritters hadn't been out, you would have been going nowhere.[/p][/quote]No sign of any salt/grit on Glenferness Ave, Boundary roundabout to Wallisdown or on the Alder hills at 0715 this morning. jobsworthwatch
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Mon 20 Dec 10

fedupwithjobsworths says...

Duckorange wrote:
fedupwithjobsworths wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days
Poor, wrong fedupwithjobsworths . Pay attention: Global warming results in extreme weather. Hot summers. Cold winters. More storms. Guess which bit we're having now?
Poor, wrong Duckorange.
.

It's you who should pay attention ...... my post was in jest as stated in a previous post of mine. Get a sense of humour!
[quote][p][bold]Duckorange[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedupwithjobsworths[/bold] wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days[/p][/quote]Poor, wrong fedupwithjobsworths . Pay attention: Global warming results in extreme weather. Hot summers. Cold winters. More storms. Guess which bit we're having now?[/p][/quote]Poor, wrong Duckorange. . It's you who should pay attention ...... my post was in jest as stated in a previous post of mine. Get a sense of humour! fedupwithjobsworths
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Mon 20 Dec 10

birdistheword22 says...

global warming causes weather to go both ways either really warm in summer or really cold in winter, dont let the name fool you.. this is part of global warming too, it is the changing of our climate, also the council are doing the best they can so give them a break, i live on a busy main road and see them go past regularly. Also I think it is time our country started to use winter typers on cars and tyre chains on lorries to reduce accidents and proper snow boots and clothing should be easily available to buy in highstreet shops, also proper insulation on our houses would help too..
global warming causes weather to go both ways either really warm in summer or really cold in winter, dont let the name fool you.. this is part of global warming too, it is the changing of our climate, also the council are doing the best they can so give them a break, i live on a busy main road and see them go past regularly. Also I think it is time our country started to use winter typers on cars and tyre chains on lorries to reduce accidents and proper snow boots and clothing should be easily available to buy in highstreet shops, also proper insulation on our houses would help too.. birdistheword22
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Mon 20 Dec 10

whatever66 says...

why go out if all your going to do is moan?? surely to stay in keep warm is a better option i know i am... i then know my car is safe from people who are in a hurry to damage theres and once again i will be paying out in insurance because of the amount of claims that will be made in the last and next few days.. the right thing to do is stay at home unless it is an emergency that you really have to go out and if you do have to go out stay local and walk
why go out if all your going to do is moan?? surely to stay in keep warm is a better option i know i am... i then know my car is safe from people who are in a hurry to damage theres and once again i will be paying out in insurance because of the amount of claims that will be made in the last and next few days.. the right thing to do is stay at home unless it is an emergency that you really have to go out and if you do have to go out stay local and walk whatever66
  • Score: 0

1:55pm Mon 20 Dec 10

GEOFF0906 says...

Is "choas" like chaos, only worse?
Is "choas" like chaos, only worse? GEOFF0906
  • Score: 0

2:26pm Mon 20 Dec 10

Duckorange says...

fedupwithjobsworths wrote:
Duckorange wrote:
fedupwithjobsworths wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days
Poor, wrong fedupwithjobsworths . Pay attention: Global warming results in extreme weather. Hot summers. Cold winters. More storms. Guess which bit we're having now?
Poor, wrong Duckorange.
.

It's you who should pay attention ...... my post was in jest as stated in a previous post of mine. Get a sense of humour!
I accept the crown of King of WRONGNESS. I only saw your second comment when I scrolled back up.
[quote][p][bold]fedupwithjobsworths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Duckorange[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedupwithjobsworths[/bold] wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days[/p][/quote]Poor, wrong fedupwithjobsworths . Pay attention: Global warming results in extreme weather. Hot summers. Cold winters. More storms. Guess which bit we're having now?[/p][/quote]Poor, wrong Duckorange. . It's you who should pay attention ...... my post was in jest as stated in a previous post of mine. Get a sense of humour![/p][/quote]I accept the crown of King of WRONGNESS. I only saw your second comment when I scrolled back up. Duckorange
  • Score: 0

2:34pm Mon 20 Dec 10

rach74 says...

just rain here in parkstone and just all turned to slush
just rain here in parkstone and just all turned to slush rach74
  • Score: 0

3:00pm Mon 20 Dec 10

fedupwithjobsworths says...

Merry Xmas to you :-)
Merry Xmas to you :-) fedupwithjobsworths
  • Score: 0

3:14pm Mon 20 Dec 10

rayc says...

Duckorange wrote:
fedupwithjobsworths wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days
Poor, wrong fedupwithjobsworths . Pay attention: Global warming results in extreme weather. Hot summers. Cold winters. More storms. Guess which bit we're having now?
I'm paying attention but I am having difficulty guessing which bit we are having now.
Ok, I presume we are having the hot bit now as according to Samual Peypes the Thames was frozen over for several weeks in 1683 and he attended the Great Frost Fair and skated on it.
We cannot blame that on the industrial revolution or the motor car so I am confused as to which cycle of climate change we are currently in.
[quote][p][bold]Duckorange[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fedupwithjobsworths[/bold] wrote: The global warming brigade are a tad quiet these days[/p][/quote]Poor, wrong fedupwithjobsworths . Pay attention: Global warming results in extreme weather. Hot summers. Cold winters. More storms. Guess which bit we're having now?[/p][/quote]I'm paying attention but I am having difficulty guessing which bit we are having now. Ok, I presume we are having the hot bit now as according to Samual Peypes the Thames was frozen over for several weeks in 1683 and he attended the Great Frost Fair and skated on it. We cannot blame that on the industrial revolution or the motor car so I am confused as to which cycle of climate change we are currently in. rayc
  • Score: 0

3:31pm Mon 20 Dec 10

loftusrod says...

Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.
Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled. loftusrod
  • Score: 0

3:40pm Mon 20 Dec 10

ry8000 says...

loftusrod wrote:
Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.
Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...
[quote][p][bold]loftusrod[/bold] wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.[/p][/quote]Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible... ry8000
  • Score: 0

3:42pm Mon 20 Dec 10

loftusrod says...

ry8000 wrote:
loftusrod wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.
Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...
l bet you're one of those pedestrians that like to walk in cycle lanes.
[quote][p][bold]ry8000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loftusrod[/bold] wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.[/p][/quote]Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...[/p][/quote]l bet you're one of those pedestrians that like to walk in cycle lanes. loftusrod
  • Score: 0

3:47pm Mon 20 Dec 10

ry8000 says...

loftusrod wrote:
ry8000 wrote:
loftusrod wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.
Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...
l bet you're one of those pedestrians that like to walk in cycle lanes.
I'll walk where I jolly well like. You're probably one of those indecent short wearing buffoons that thinks they own the asphalt!
[quote][p][bold]loftusrod[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ry8000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loftusrod[/bold] wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.[/p][/quote]Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...[/p][/quote]l bet you're one of those pedestrians that like to walk in cycle lanes.[/p][/quote]I'll walk where I jolly well like. You're probably one of those indecent short wearing buffoons that thinks they own the asphalt! ry8000
  • Score: 0

3:50pm Mon 20 Dec 10

loftusrod says...

ry8000 wrote:
loftusrod wrote:
ry8000 wrote:
loftusrod wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.
Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...
l bet you're one of those pedestrians that like to walk in cycle lanes.
I'll walk where I jolly well like. You're probably one of those indecent short wearing buffoons that thinks they own the asphalt!
Nutter.
[quote][p][bold]ry8000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loftusrod[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ry8000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loftusrod[/bold] wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.[/p][/quote]Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...[/p][/quote]l bet you're one of those pedestrians that like to walk in cycle lanes.[/p][/quote]I'll walk where I jolly well like. You're probably one of those indecent short wearing buffoons that thinks they own the asphalt![/p][/quote]Nutter. loftusrod
  • Score: 0

3:55pm Mon 20 Dec 10

ry8000 says...

loftusrod wrote:
ry8000 wrote:
loftusrod wrote:
ry8000 wrote:
loftusrod wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.
Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...
l bet you're one of those pedestrians that like to walk in cycle lanes.
I'll walk where I jolly well like. You're probably one of those indecent short wearing buffoons that thinks they own the asphalt!
Nutter.
I do wish you would stop this, I really would like to have the last word on this matter. Cyclists should have a curfew...
[quote][p][bold]loftusrod[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ry8000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loftusrod[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ry8000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loftusrod[/bold] wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.[/p][/quote]Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...[/p][/quote]l bet you're one of those pedestrians that like to walk in cycle lanes.[/p][/quote]I'll walk where I jolly well like. You're probably one of those indecent short wearing buffoons that thinks they own the asphalt![/p][/quote]Nutter.[/p][/quote]I do wish you would stop this, I really would like to have the last word on this matter. Cyclists should have a curfew... ry8000
  • Score: 0

3:58pm Mon 20 Dec 10

rach74 says...

cycle lanes on the paths and roads, they should start having to pay a tax
cycle lanes on the paths and roads, they should start having to pay a tax rach74
  • Score: 0

4:16pm Mon 20 Dec 10

loftusrod says...

rach74 wrote:
cycle lanes on the paths and roads, they should start having to pay a tax
I do pay tax; by 'simply cycling', that was one less car for you to get stuck behind.
[quote][p][bold]rach74[/bold] wrote: cycle lanes on the paths and roads, they should start having to pay a tax[/p][/quote]I do pay tax; by 'simply cycling', that was one less car for you to get stuck behind. loftusrod
  • Score: 0

4:40pm Mon 20 Dec 10

Jonkers says...

ry8000 wrote:
loftusrod wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.
Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...
genius!
[quote][p][bold]ry8000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loftusrod[/bold] wrote: Took me 20 minutes to get from Bearwood to Bbournemouth - l simply cycled.[/p][/quote]Bloody cyclists... an old man on a bike yelled at me when I was walking home the other day. He may have been saying hello, but he was probably being aggressive. I'll assume the latter. They become monsters the second they get on a bike. For that reason I shake my fist at them whenever possible...[/p][/quote]genius! Jonkers
  • Score: 0

4:43pm Mon 20 Dec 10

jobsworthwatch says...

rach74 wrote:
cycle lanes on the paths and roads, they should start having to pay a tax
So should peds. for using the pavement then!
[quote][p][bold]rach74[/bold] wrote: cycle lanes on the paths and roads, they should start having to pay a tax[/p][/quote]So should peds. for using the pavement then! jobsworthwatch
  • Score: 0

5:03pm Mon 20 Dec 10

rach74 says...

a pavement is for peds
a pavement is for peds rach74
  • Score: 0

5:52pm Mon 20 Dec 10

Phrontistery says...

I had never even heard of freezing rain until I moved to Canada...am amazed to see it forecast in Bournemouth...the climate is changing without a doubt. Take care my friends.
I had never even heard of freezing rain until I moved to Canada...am amazed to see it forecast in Bournemouth...the climate is changing without a doubt. Take care my friends. Phrontistery
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Mon 20 Dec 10

sm9bp says...

My word, there are some moaners on here!! Can people please get some sort of context, do you know how many people in the world would love for their biggest problem to be a bit of snow falling or roads not being gritted enough? Have a bit of perspective will you...
My word, there are some moaners on here!! Can people please get some sort of context, do you know how many people in the world would love for their biggest problem to be a bit of snow falling or roads not being gritted enough? Have a bit of perspective will you... sm9bp
  • Score: 0

6:06pm Mon 20 Dec 10

dizzy17 says...

for those of you that keep moaning about the gritting lorry's not being out... Yes they are, my brother drives one and he will be out from midnight tonight til midday tomorrow.... do any of you truly understand the vast areas that ONE gritter has to cover..... so before you moan about the roads not being clear, maybe you should think about all the poor blokes that get up as we are all asleep to work through the night. easy enough to go to builders merchants and supermarkets to buy bags of grit, so maybe community's should pull together a bit more to help each other out.....

cant wait to see all your comments over the next few years as this sort of weather gets worse and worse...

think yourself lucky we havent got 2 foot of snow like some of the country have.
for those of you that keep moaning about the gritting lorry's not being out... Yes they are, my brother drives one and he will be out from midnight tonight til midday tomorrow.... do any of you truly understand the vast areas that ONE gritter has to cover..... so before you moan about the roads not being clear, maybe you should think about all the poor blokes that get up as we are all asleep to work through the night. easy enough to go to builders merchants and supermarkets to buy bags of grit, so maybe community's should pull together a bit more to help each other out..... cant wait to see all your comments over the next few years as this sort of weather gets worse and worse... think yourself lucky we havent got 2 foot of snow like some of the country have. dizzy17
  • Score: 0

6:21pm Mon 20 Dec 10

CommonSensePoolePerson says...

There are some interesting comments on here. That is when you sift through:

1) Silly childish bickering that no one is interested in.

2) People cutting and pasting A4 chunks of text to seemingly add weight to their childish bickering that no one is interested in.

3) The second by second account on what the weather is doing in their areas that no one is interested in.
There are some interesting comments on here. That is when you sift through: 1) Silly childish bickering that no one is interested in. 2) People cutting and pasting A4 chunks of text to seemingly add weight to their childish bickering that no one is interested in. 3) The second by second account on what the weather is doing in their areas that no one is interested in. CommonSensePoolePerson
  • Score: 0

7:04pm Mon 20 Dec 10

Mike Pickering says...

4) People summarising the preceding posts in a numbered list.
4) People summarising the preceding posts in a numbered list. Mike Pickering
  • Score: 0

8:54pm Mon 20 Dec 10

WeatherNerd says...

More Snow To Come Check It Out At www.dorsetweather.we
bs.com And Become A Member Now For Free
More Snow To Come Check It Out At www.dorsetweather.we bs.com And Become A Member Now For Free WeatherNerd
  • Score: 0

9:25pm Mon 20 Dec 10

WIGGINSv says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
Glória wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary!
Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)
I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them!
The council have to adhere to 'elf & safety ' as well - probably more so - which is why bins are unemptied.
Gritting is going on 24 hours. Just position yourself with a flask and sandwiches outside the Southcote Road Depot, and watch for yourself.
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Glória[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary![/p][/quote]Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)[/p][/quote]I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them![/p][/quote]The council have to adhere to 'elf & safety ' as well - probably more so - which is why bins are unemptied. Gritting is going on 24 hours. Just position yourself with a flask and sandwiches outside the Southcote Road Depot, and watch for yourself. WIGGINSv
  • Score: 0

10:30pm Mon 20 Dec 10

pedro66 says...

I went playing on a sledge with my 2 boys and the dog, we had a great time :) happy christmas!
I went playing on a sledge with my 2 boys and the dog, we had a great time :) happy christmas! pedro66
  • Score: 0

10:59pm Mon 20 Dec 10

jobsworthwatch says...

WIGGINSv wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Glória wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary!
Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)
I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them!
The council have to adhere to 'elf & safety ' as well - probably more so - which is why bins are unemptied. Gritting is going on 24 hours. Just position yourself with a flask and sandwiches outside the Southcote Road Depot, and watch for yourself.
No need, what ever it was they were doing this morning, it was totally inadequate and ineffective. Unless of course they took the police advice 'not to travel and stay in doors'. As for 'elf & safety', I remember in 62/63 seeing roads being gritted by 2 men in stood in the back of a lorry shoveling the stuff over the back.
[quote][p][bold]WIGGINSv[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Glória[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary![/p][/quote]Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)[/p][/quote]I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them![/p][/quote]The council have to adhere to 'elf & safety ' as well - probably more so - which is why bins are unemptied. Gritting is going on 24 hours. Just position yourself with a flask and sandwiches outside the Southcote Road Depot, and watch for yourself.[/p][/quote]No need, what ever it was they were doing this morning, it was totally inadequate and ineffective. Unless of course they took the police advice 'not to travel and stay in doors'. As for 'elf & safety', I remember in 62/63 seeing roads being gritted by 2 men in stood in the back of a lorry shoveling the stuff over the back. jobsworthwatch
  • Score: 0

12:40am Tue 21 Dec 10

kangman2012 says...

jobsworthwatch wrote:
WIGGINSv wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote:
Glória wrote:
jobsworthwatch wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary!
Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)
I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them!
The council have to adhere to 'elf & safety ' as well - probably more so - which is why bins are unemptied. Gritting is going on 24 hours. Just position yourself with a flask and sandwiches outside the Southcote Road Depot, and watch for yourself.
No need, what ever it was they were doing this morning, it was totally inadequate and ineffective. Unless of course they took the police advice 'not to travel and stay in doors'. As for 'elf & safety', I remember in 62/63 seeing roads being gritted by 2 men in stood in the back of a lorry shoveling the stuff over the back.
When you say "inadequate and ineffective" you do realise that the salt will not work at temperatures below -6 or -7 degrees...simply put, too cold..!
[quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WIGGINSv[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Glória[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jobsworthwatch[/bold] wrote: Since the start of this cold spell I've not seen a single gritting lorry and nothing that would indicate that gritting has been carried out anywhere within the town. Just what are our jobsworths doing, sitting back in their nice warm offices, (if they can be bothered to go in that is), convincing themselves it will all be gone by the morning. In previous years at least bus routes have been treated but now nothing it would appear. 'No excuses' (Where have I heard that) we are a town by the sea! Spray the roads with sea water and spread sand off the beach if necessary![/p][/quote]Well, they've gritted the main roads I've used - and they've sent teams to hand grit the pedestrian precinct. Not that it will magically remove thick snow anyway - a point some ill-informed ranters all seem to miss! . Perhaps, just perhaps, we should accept occasional snow disruption and adjust our own plans accordingly rather than expecting the local authority to magically remove all snow and ice? . Councils only have a limited number of gritters and staff, so there will only ever be the resources to treat the most important routes. It would be a ridiculous waste of money to buy enough equipment to treat every street when we only have this problem a few days a year on average. . Of course, if you wish to rant about "jobsworths" not pulling their weight, perhaps we also have the right to ask exactly what important contribution you're making to the economy that allows you to be whinging on the Echo website at 9.50 on a working day? :-)[/p][/quote]I have my own business engaged in the manufacture of high tec scientific instruments for use in green power generation. However I seem to spend most of my time engaged in a constant struggle against bureaucratic jobsworths, 'elf and safety, paying extortionate business rates and central government taxes. My normal 8 min journey to work this morning took 1 hour because the council were incapable of ensuring the principle roads in the conurbation were clear of 2 ins of snow when people had to go to work. Let me guess what you do...you must be one of them![/p][/quote]The council have to adhere to 'elf & safety ' as well - probably more so - which is why bins are unemptied. Gritting is going on 24 hours. Just position yourself with a flask and sandwiches outside the Southcote Road Depot, and watch for yourself.[/p][/quote]No need, what ever it was they were doing this morning, it was totally inadequate and ineffective. Unless of course they took the police advice 'not to travel and stay in doors'. As for 'elf & safety', I remember in 62/63 seeing roads being gritted by 2 men in stood in the back of a lorry shoveling the stuff over the back.[/p][/quote]When you say "inadequate and ineffective" you do realise that the salt will not work at temperatures below -6 or -7 degrees...simply put, too cold..! kangman2012
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree