Win lifts Reds out of relegation zone

12:17pm Thursday 5th May 2011



A tremendous win for the Reds in the Yorkshire Dales by five tries to four leaves them with a weeks wait to know if their late season revival has saved them from relegation.

With 16 points out of the last 20 Redruth have hauled themselves out of the relegation zone. However, while the Reds have completed their programme, Sedgley Park, two points behind the Reds, still have Macclesfield to play on Saturday. Only a win for Sedgley will do and that is no foregone conclusion.

Teamwork was again the backbone of the Reds success but a hat-trick of tries for Mark Bright was another massive contribution also Owen Hamby who played in the centre for the last half hour due to injuries was outstanding.

On a warm day the pitch at Wharfeside Avenue was in great condition and the atmosphere was cracking with a bus load of supporters making the long journey from Cornwall to spur the Reds on to their 12th win of the season.

Redruth chose to play into a strong wind and Dale applied enormous pressure in the opening stages ending with hooker Steve Graham diving over for Tom Davidson to convert.

Despite several turnovers Redruth started to find their feet controlling the game for a long period with some good rugby.

The home crowd were furious that referee Steve Lee appeared to miss a knock on in the build up to Tom Notman’s 24th minute try. Four minutes later a good run from Matt Bowden and an inside pass saw Bright go over for his first try. England Counties under-20 player Aaron Penberthy converting both.

With Davidson missing with two penalty attempts Redruth took a seven point lead into the interval.

In the second period Dale hit back with a try by Tom McGee after a series of pick and drives but the conversion was missed.

Luke Collins won a five-metre line-out against the throw to set up Bright’s second try that Penbethy converted as the game went into the final quarter with the Reds leading by nine points.

The green machine put in a tremendous ten minute burst with two unconverted tries by outstanding forwards David Hughes and Taioleti to snatch the lead by a point with 12 minutes to go.

With the bonus point for the fourth try Wharfedale were safe from relegation and they immediately sent on four replacements to close out the game.

Redruth had other ideas and raised their game for the final push, Bright powered over to complete his hat-trick with nine minutes to go before setting up Steve Wood for a try off the back of a scrum with five minutes to go to make the game safe for the Reds. Penberthy converted to take him past 250 points for the season.

Whatever Redruth’s fate next week their improvement and spirit since Christmas is worthy of a place in national one for next season. Supporters can only keep their fingers crossed for the right result from Sedgley Park.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Dorset Echo: site_logo

Click 2 Find Business Directory