UPDATE: MAGPIES: Hawks bring Magpies back to earth

Dorset Echo: TOUGH AFTERNOON: Magpies’ skipper Mark Jermyn tussles with Sahr Kabba TOUGH AFTERNOON: Magpies’ skipper Mark Jermyn tussles with Sahr Kabba


DORCHESTER Town’s poor run of results at Westleigh Park continued as the Hawks coasted to a 5-1 win over the county town side.

One-time Swansea City striker Dennis Oli gave the hosts an early lead in Hampshire before the recalled Dan Way brought the visitors level.

Goals from Scott Jones and Sahr Kabba put the home side back in charge before half-time and the Hawks’ superiority in the second half paid off with further strikes by substitutes Steve Ramsey and Dan Strugnell.

With the likes of Steve Walker, Harry Bell and Ashley Vickers all missing, it was always going to be another tough test for the Magpies.

And with Alex Godfrey and Craig Michie both making their full league debuts, the average age of the Dorchester starting line-up would have decreased even further following the home draw with Eastbourne.

Kabba was the first to figure in the early minutes, bursting for-ward to send a shot wide, before Nigel Atangana sent a firm header over the top from a Nic Ciardini corner as the Hawks maintained their bright start.

The home side broke the deadlock on 14 minutes with Oli scoring his second league goal of the season.

He rose above the Dorchester defence to glide a perfect header past keeper Alan Walker-Harris from a Jones cross.

Showing his renewed appetite for goals, Oli then sent a shot on the turn past a post before seeing another effort disallowed for offside.

However, Dorchester stunned the Hawks in the 26th minute with an equaliser against the run of play.

A long cross-field ball from Godfrey picked out Way on the left and the full-back cut inside before easily firing past Scott Bevan.

The Hawks keeper then had to back-pedal to tip a Sam Lanahan lob over the bar as the Magpies showed signs of getting on top.

But the hosts regained the lead on 35 minutes following some enterprising play from Kabba.
He lofted the ball in from the by-line and Jones scored with a diving header at the far post.

Jones turned provider in the 42nd minute to make it 3-1, crossing from the left for Kabba to turn and smash home at the near post.

Perry Ryan thumped a 20-yard shot against a post in the opening minute of the second half as the Hawks looked intent on resuming the onslaught.

Atangana was the next to try his luck, forcing a good save from Walker-Harris with another long-range attempt.

The Hawks looked in total command, threatening to score every time they attacked, and Ryan went close again with an effort that whistled past the

The overworked Walker-Harris then produced another good block on the hour to keep out Oli and it was his replacement, and another Hawks substitute, that put the game out of Dorchester’s reach.

First of all, it was Ramsey, on for Jones, who extended the Hawks’ lead within a minute of going on and then with 10 minutes left Strugnell added a fifth with a looping header.

Havant: Bevan, Newton, Cummings, Ryan, Harris, Monteiro (Przespoleski), Ciardini, Atangana, Oli (Strugnell), Kabba, Jones (Ramsey). Subs not used: Woodford, Hutchinson

Magpies: Walker-Harris, Wakefield, Way, Jermyn, Smeeton, Lanahan, Crittenden, Gleeson, Goodship, Godfrey (Kennard), Michie. Subs not used: Munday, Tennant, Rolls, Hanger


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree