FOOTBALL: Classy show as Upwey progress

Dorset Echo: EVASIVE ACTION: Upwey’s Jason Pearce EVASIVE ACTION: Upwey’s Jason Pearce


UPWEY & Broadwey produced a classy performance to see off South Cheriton in the third round of the Dorset Senior Trophy.

When Upwey are in the mood, they are a tough team to live with and their opponents never really had a sniff in this tie, which was pretty one-sided from the first whistle to the last.

Pete Bochonko opened the scoring for the Weymouth outfit on 17 minutes, following great link-up play between Ethan Devaney and Sam Nichols, before the second arrived just six minutes later.

Phil Anderson broke forward after producing a cracking tackle to stop a Cheriton attack, and when the ball eventually found its way to Rory Zima at the far post, he made no mistake with a clinical strike.

Upwey’s quick passing game was clearly proving too much for the visitors and, just two minutes before the break, they made it 3-0.

Once again, it was Zima that fired home but only after fantastic interplay between the likes of Jason Pearce, Devaney and Richard Frost.

To their credit, Cheriton never gave up and, after Nick Gregg had pulled off a wonder save to deny them from a free-kick, they eventually pulled one back with a similar strike, which, this time, left the Upwey keeper with no chance.

Despite that strike though, Upwey continued to look comfortable and they duly went on to add a fourth. A sweeping move saw Pearce exchange passes with Devaney and Charlie Kenderdine before finishing off the play with another composed finish.

Cheriton did scramble in another consolation towards the end but overall Steve Reynolds was delighted with his side’s performance.

The Upwey boss said: “We played some really good stuff and pretty much bossed the whole game.

“It was 3-0 at half-time and once that third went in, it was all but over.

“Everyone was on song and, although Cheriton are quite a physical side, they struggled to deal with our passing game, which at times was fantastic.”

The only down side to the victory was the dismissal of Nichols for a second bookable offence. Reynolds added: “Sam picked up a yellow card in the first half for a tackle from behind, which was fair enough, but the second booking after the break was harsh, and it was just a stupid sending off.

“He was completely taken out and when one of their lads pushed him, he just pushed him back in the arm.

“It was something of nothing really but the referee decided to book them both and Sam had to walk.”

Upwey will now entertain Witchampton United in the quarter-finals on January 18 (2pm).

Upwey: Gregg, Aston, Purnell, Anderson, Pearce, Nichols, Kenderdine, Frost, R Zima (Dixon 70), Devaney, Bochonko. Subs not used: Woodward, Bridle.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree