RUGBY: Dorchester Seconds sign off in league with a hard-won victory



DORCHESTER’S won a hard-fought final Dorset & Wilts Two League game of 2013.

They travelled with a few players missing but the replacements that stepped in were more than capable.

It was obvious from the start, with the size of the home side forwards, what sort of game they were going to play and they didn’t disappoint.

Playing with the wind, they set about attacking Dorchester close to the fringes.

As has been the case this season, and improving with every game, the away team’s defence was superb and they repelled attack after attack, with Ed Grassby and Josh Hosford putting themselves about particularly well.

Eventually, the home team did score after some good periods of play but the visitors were not too worried as they knew the first half was going to be tough.

The conversion was missed and then, soon after, New Milton missed a penalty as well.

Dorchester had the odd attack but didn’t have much att-acking ball. When they did though, they found the equalising score.

A very good solid scrum saw the ball passed out to centre Richard Deakin and he picked a lovely line to score. The conversion was missed.

New Milton went back on the attack to try and get a lead with the wind but, again couldn’t find a way through the stubborn defence.

Going into the second half the away side were full of confidence and experienced fly-half Rich Ba-ment, pictured, used the wind to good effect.

Eventually, the pressure told and some good phases saw the ball go blind and replacement winger Max Simpson finished very well in the corner. With the wind as it was, the conversion was missed.

Now in the lead for the first time, the county town side continued to control territory and really grew into the game.

After a good period of pressure, they won a penalty on the 10m line and a well-judged kick from Matt Fry saw them extend their lead to eight points.

Another attempt a few minutes later from further back then fell agonisingly wide.

For the first time in the game, some poor tackling from Dorchester allowed an opposition player to break through and score.

The conversion was missed and there was now just three points in it.

The last 10 minutes were a tense affair but Dorches- ter continued as they had all game and saw it out for a win.

With the semi-final of the Second XV Shield tomorrow, Dorchester can be more than happy with their season so far.

Man of the Match: Josh Hosford


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree