WEYMOUTH 1 (Burbidge 57)


LUKE Burbidge scored a screamer as the Terras recorded a fine win over Corby at the Bob Lucas Stadium this afternoon.

The Southern Premier Division encounter marked the start of Jason Matthews’ tenure as permanent boss of the Terras and his players certainly rose to the occasion.

With the Steelmen having claimed 10 points from their previous four on the road, this was always going to be a tough game for Weymouth but they showed great fight throughout and thoroughly deserved their victory.

Matthews made two changes to the side that began the 2-1 win at Frome Town on December 28 with new-signing George Rigg replacing Danny Clay in the heart of the midfield, and Mark Ford coming in for the suspended Scott Walker.

Clay dropped to the bench where he joined Matt Cafer, Barry McConnell, Nathan Walker and Carl McClements.

Having lost 3-1 at Steel Park earlier in the season, the Terras were clearly out for revenge and they made the brighter start under the winter sunshine, despite failing to create any meaningful chances.

The Steelmen arrived in Dorset having lost just two of their last 10 and it was easy to see why.

Their organised set up was starving Weymouth of space and their experienced back four were looking extremely well organised.

As the half wore on, the visitors then began to grow in confidence as an attacking force and on 16 minutes they almost opened the scoring.

A defensive lapse allowed in Aman Verma but his effort struck the foot of the post from an acute angle after rounding Matthews.

Sam Ives then cut inside the box on 28 minutes and fired just wide for the visitors before Weymouth replied with a bit of pressure of their own, which saw Rigg have an effort blocked out for a corner.

The Weymouth new boy was looking lively and moments later he had an even better chance.

Ben Joyce played in Ford down the left and when his fine cross fell to Rigg, he looked certain to score, only for keeper Paul Walker to pull off a stunning save.

Luke Winsper was also having a good game for the hosts but a heavy challenge with Kalern Thomas on 40 minutes eventually ended his afternoon.

There was no malice in the tackle but it caused the young midfielder to leave the field on a stretcher with Clay coming on as his replacement.

The change failed to upset Weymouth’s rhythm though, and just seconds before the break they went close again.

Michael Walker tested the Corby keeper with a header from a corner and when the ball ran loose, Tom McGowan got there just before Ford to clear the danger.

After the break, the game remained nip and tuck but it was the Steelmen that carved out the first chance of the second half on 48 minutes.

Gareth Jelleyman supplied the ball into the box only for Ives to see his effort saved by the sprawling Matthews.

The action then went a bit flat again until Burbidge finally broke the deadlock with a stunner in the 57th minute.

There appeared to be no danger when the winger gained possession 25 yards out, but he was allowed to get the ball out of his feet and let fly with a blockbuster, which flew into the top corner.

It was a glorious strike and just moments later the he nearly set up a second.

This time Burbidge broke down the right and played the ball across the box to Stewart Yetton but he could only turn the cross well wide in uncharacteristic fashion.

The Steelmen were clearly flagging and, just two minutes later, the Terras wasted another great opportunity with Rigg failing to hit the target, following some excellent play from Yetton and Joyce.

Weymouth really should have killed the game off with those two chances but they remained solid in the closing stages to comfortably hold on for the win.

Terras: Matthews, Wells, Green, Winsper (Clay 43), M Walker, Poole, Burbidge, Rigg, Yetton, Joyce (N Walker 85), Ford. Subs not used: Cafer, McConnell, McClements.

Corby: Walker, Thomas, Jelleyman, Carruthers, Stanton, McGowan, Mills, Rooney, Verma, Ives (Herbert 65), Hendrie (May 79). Subs not used: Carpenter.