WEYMOUTH 2 (Beals 72, Nichols 74)

HAMWORTHY UNITED 4 (Hayson 11, Cook 22, Martin 51, 64)

THE Hammers knocked a young Weymouth side out of the semi-finals of the Senior Cup this evening at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

With tomorrow night's league trip to Cambridge City clearly taking precedence, the Terras chose to rest the majority of their first-team squad and Wessex League outfit Hamworthy duly took advantage.

Apart from Michael Walker, Luke Winsper and Carl McClements, the rest of the Weymouth starting line-up was made up of reserves and within 22 minutes they were two down.

Dan Hayson opened the scoring with an unmarked header from a corner before Russell Cook doubled the advantage with a simple tap-in after Alex Martin had forced an error out of home stopper Ryan Park.

That second goal was harsh on Park because before that he had made a couple of outstanding saves to deny Ben Osborne, both from point-blank range.

At the other end, Walker and Aston Butcher both sent efforts over the top but the Hammers continued to look the stronger side for much of the first half.

The Terras did enjoy a good spell before the break but they were unable to make it count, with Winsper seeing a half-volley pushed over the bar, and McClements going agonisingly close to capitalising on a rebound off the keeper.

Hamworthy always looked in control though, and, just six minutes into the second half, they made it 3-0 through Martin, who skipped past a couple of players before firing the ball into the roof of the net.

The diminutive left-winger was the most impressive player on the pitch and, 13 minutes later, he repeated the trick, skipping past several challenges in the box and sliding the ball past a beleaguered Park.

Despite those two virtuoso efforts, the Terras refused to lie down and they were finally rewarded with two goals in as many minutes.

Lloyd Beals tucked home the first of them on 72 minutes, after some fine work down the right, before Sam Nichols slotted in the second from the edge of the area.

However, the hosts were unable to keep up the pressure and, in the remaining minutes, the game drifted to a close.

Terras: Park, Harvey, J Will, M Walker (Anstey 77), Butcher, G Will, Beals (P Ford 88), Winsper (O Preece 59), Nichols, McClements, Zima. Subs not used: Matthews

Hamworthy: Thomas, Penney, Hester, Walker, Hayson, Corby, Diaper, Allen (Yelland 79), Osborne (Cole 68), Cook, Martin. Subs not used: Biles, Legg, Rockingham.

Bookings – None.

Referee: James Durkin.