WEYMOUTH continued their impressive run of results in Hampshire Two with an imperious display at home to New Milton.

Matt Lawes missed out for the Seasiders due to injury but fortunately Matthew Bell was back available to fill the gap Lawes is expected to be sidelined for at least two weeks after breaking his finger in Weymouth’s previous fixture at Basingstoke.

From right off the bat, the hosts were dominant, and soon found themselves leading 2-0, with both goals the result of well-rehearsed penalty corners.

The first was cleverly worked to Patrick May, who flicked the ball hard into the backboard, and the second was smashed past the stranded goaltender by Dan Bowles.

The third then arrived from open play with Chris Fry applying a simple finish at the back post after some tidy play in the circle from Joe Foot.

Weymouth’s quick passing continued the relentless pressure and they soon added a fourth before the break from Luke Drewitt to further enhance their dominance.

New Milton looked shocked and, after the break, the blitz carried on with May adding another with his signature drag flick.

Drewitt then made it six with a neat snap-shot after some good combination play before Steven Membury slapped in the next one from a penalty corner.

The Seasiders were now running riot and it was no surprise when Drewitt went on to complete his hat-trick with a nonchalant push into the net after rounding the hapless keeper.

Membury then added his second with a backhand shot before an own goal took the home side’s tally into double figures following a deflection on a hopeful pass from the back.

New Milton then got one back from a penalty corner but it was Weymouth that still had the final say, when another penalty corner routine at the other end saw skipper Simon Harvey make it 11-1 to complete the scoring.

The Seasiders certainly do not want to drop the ball at this crucial stage of the season as they go on the road to struggling South-ampton today in search of another win.

Harvey was delighted with the performance against New Milton in which his team converted six penalty corners in total – an area of Weymouth’s game that has been lacking since Christmas but which they have put a lot of work into in recent training sessions.

Man of the Match: Luke Drewitt


Hampshire Two: Basingstoke II 4 Southampton Uni III 1, Bournemouth III 3 Tadley 0, Chichester III 3 Southampton II 1, Univ of Portsmouth 9 Winchester III 3, Weymouth 11 New Milton 1.

Tomorrow's fixtures: Havant IV v Uni Portsmouth, New Milton v Basingstoke II, Southampton II v Weymouth, Southampton University III v Bournemouth III, Tadley v Portsmouth & Southsea, Winchester III v Chichester III.